Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
gee I've lived in San Diego 31 years and I can't imagine picking Chula Vista over Denver, except if you don't like cold/snow, which obviously isn't a factor if Denver is one of your top choices. Keep in mind the new Chargers stadium might be built in CV, which will change the dynamics there (not sure if for better or worse). Also, my coworker has lived in CV for many years and always like it but is thinking of moving elsewhere in the County because of increased gang activity, etc.

In the whole time I lived in Chula Vista I never saw any gang activity. I do know what it looks like to from other cities I've lived in.

If your co-worker has increasing gang activity he/she probably lives in Western Chula Vista in the older section. Again the time I lived there I would shop , had our Dr for myself and the kids in West Chula Vista and never saw any gang activity. Now this was during the day and very seldom did I go in West Chula Vista at night unless maybe at Carrows near the Chula Vista mall at Broadway and maybe Costco as well.

Im not saying there isn't possibly some gang activity in West Chula Vista, but I'd find it hard to believe that there's much out by Eastlake/Otay .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Well, unless you are out at night you are not going to see it.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
I wouldn't think there would be much happening in CV at night anyway. I would think any night action would be in SD. In most cities the suburbs isn't the place for night action.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,977 times
I've been in Chula Vista for 16 years and have never seen gang activity. I live in Eastlake but shop on the west side and go to restaurants on the west side occasionally (yes, even at night).

You can kayak on Otay Lake but they will charge you a small fee. I don't understasnd why there is a fee for kayaking because you are not causing pollution, making noise or fishing. I think it's run by the water district, city of San Diego.

The bayfront marina area is very nice. We have also kayaked there and there are a few restaurants where you can eat outside. It's very nice. Not sure what will happen now that Gaylord has fallen through but I'm sure another developer will not be far behind.

Otay Ranch mall is very nice. I love that it's outdoors and that it has a village feel to it. There is nothing better than walking around at night in the fresh air with friends. There are areas to sit (more so than Fashion Valley) and an outdoor lounge like area with sofas and an outdoor fireplace. It is very family friendly with a chalk garden and water features. I love seeing people bring their dogs out, sometimes dressed up, it's too cute. It's a fun place! There are many restaurants to choose from. Yes, several stores are high end but there are several stores that are not and I've found some amazing deals even at the high end stores.

Eastern Chula Vista is a very clean and new area. There are many beautiful parks and trails.

It has a real community feel that you'll see right away if you move here and join one of the churches.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM

30 posts, read 87,871 times
"I've been in Chula Vista for 16 years and have never seen gang activity. I live in Eastlake but shop on the west side and go to restaurants on the west side occasionally (yes, even at night)."

OMG, I've lived on the west side for over 45 years before there was a west or east side. Now, yes, there was a north and south side (92010, 92011) and no, those zip codes are not typos, and the "south" part (south of "L") wasn't even in the city, so it didn't count. I'm in the Hilltop/Peppertree area and I go out at night.

The city has 250,000 people for goodness sake, and some areas are more desirable than others.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 PM

70 posts, read 281,182 times
How is it in the 91910 zip code area?

Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
We just moved by Otay Town Center. Love it, love it, love it. We can safely walk til the cows come home, I see bikes everywhere so I'm sure cycling is the same.

CV doesn't have a whole lot of ethnic foods - but San Diego definitely does. I've gained weight since I've been here.

Lots of volunteer work available. If you speak Spanish, it would open up even more doors. If you don't - it's a great place to learn it. Lots of community classes in CV, from yoga to language.

Have not used the public transportation - but it is everywhere and they plan on expanding more in CV. However, the economy may put that on hold.

Love our modern floor plan. The neighborhood is peaceful, but busy.

I love it here.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy_ca View Post
It depends.Some parts of that zip is pretty rough and others near perfect.What are the cross streets you are wondering about and I can give you a better answer.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:34 PM

137 posts, read 384,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy_ca View Post
I live in 91910 and the area I am in, close to Hilltop and the 805, is pretty nice but just down the street in another direction it is older, a little more run down and I frequently see police activity in other areas nearby.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
We just moved by Otay Town Center. Love it, love it, love it. We can safely walk til the cows come home,
Actually, years ago, they used to "come home" where Otay Ranch Town Center now stands! LOL

I'm a 16-year resident of the area and have always loved it too but have to say all the nearby shopping makes it even better. No more need to go to Palomar and Broadway to get to a Target, Office Depot, etc., or that horrendous Walmart at 4th and C in C.V.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego