Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 28,066 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to move to San Diego (from Maryland) sometime soon but since I live soo far away I really need some help finding a place to live. I'm only 18 and I'm moving by myself, so you can imagine how cheap of a place I'm looking for. It doesn't even have to be nice - I'd be fine with a single-room apartment in a really run-down complex, I just want to make sure I'm not moving into the ghetto.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 08:17 PM

171 posts, read 588,175 times
On craigslist there are many studios for under 700 dollars a month. Many will be in sketchy areas, but you could do it. Depending on where in maryland you are SD's ghetto may not be that bad. Got off on the wrong exit in Baltimore for gas and got right back on the interstate and waited a few exits

I'd rather live in the worst area of SD than the bad areas of Philly, DC, Baltimore.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Default A rough area is a rough area;even in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
On craigslist there are many studios for under 700 dollars a month. Many will be in sketchy areas, but you could do it. Depending on where in maryland you are SD's ghetto may not be that bad. Got off on the wrong exit in Baltimore for gas and got right back on the interstate and waited a few exits

I'd rather live in the worst area of SD than the bad areas of Philly, DC, Baltimore.
Very true.Esp if this person is from Baltimore
But still San Diego's rough areas can get just as rough as a Philadel,DC,B-More.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:47 PM

709 posts, read 1,497,856 times
Unfortunately government regulations prohibit cheap apartments, but you can always rent a room from somebody who needs help making the rent / mortgage. If you want to go really cheap, ask around in some trailer parks, but never pay much in advance...

Remember, there's no shame in starting out living badly, what matters is how you end up. The cheapest I've ever paid for housing was when I was semi-homeless (cause, you know, us libertarians don't believe in unemployment benefits or welfare). I'd sleep a few nights in the office or the car, and when I'd need a good night's sleep and a shower bad enough I'd get a cheap motel room. Those where the days...

Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 AM

111 posts, read 460,774 times
I've seen studio apartments for $700 per month so that is probably as low as you're going to get for an apartment that is decent and in town. Housing gets cheaper the further away you are from the core of SD (for example, La Mesa, Chula Vista, National City), but then you suffer by having to drive to school or work everyday (waste time, gas, and just effort). Generally housing gets cheaper as you go inland away from the beach and coast. It gets very hot in these areas during the summer.

Your best bet would be to find a room in a house where 5 or so guys can split the cost of housing. Post a note up on craiglist or look at student housing notice boards (if you are going to be in school).

Good Luck

Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I saw a sign posted by an apartment building in the 47th & Meade area for $650. You really aren't going to get your own place for anything less than that in any neighborhood in which you would want to live. The area around 47th and Meade is dumpy, but it's not grossly unsafe. There would be some risk of auto break-in, and auto theft. But other than that, the crime isn't bad for how bad the area looks. It's just, dumpy, low class and full of crappy apartments.

There is no listing on Criagslist for this particular unit that I could find, however. Many older landlords don't use Craigslist. Search Talmadge for more apartments in that area. There were others in the low $700s. Contour Avenue isn't bad.

Your best bet, might be to search on Craigslist, and then come back and ask us exactly how bad the area around a cheap apartment might be, that is if you don't go the roommate route.

Last edited by kettlepot; 12-26-2008 at 03:22 AM..

Old 12-26-2008, 01:56 PM

63 posts, read 283,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
Unfortunately government regulations prohibit cheap apartments,

Huh? B/S alert!
I can charge $5/month for my apartments if I want to...

Old 12-26-2008, 02:39 PM

105 posts, read 336,279 times
If you don't mind the possibility of roaches or bed bugs, and community showers. There's a few places downtown for $450-$600 a month. Two that come to mind are the Southern Hotel and Trolley Court. Both in great locations, so I hear, but I also hear the living conditions are spotty at best. Can anyone confirm???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego