U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 PM

111 posts, read 306,151 times
Like all cities, there are the trendy rich places, the average working family places, and the poor, down and out places. Seems like your not in the trendy rich part of town :^) Here's some places you can check out if you want to find where those postcard images were taken: San Diego Attraction: Sort by Categories (http://www.san-diego-travels.com/categories.html - broken link)

Although San Diego does have public transportation, most people drive. See here for info on trolley, bus, ferry: Public Transportation (http://www.san-diego-travels.com/public-transportation.html - broken link)

Welcome to "America's Finest" city. Learn your way around and by the time summer comes, I hope you will be having fun in the sun.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 PM

462 posts, read 1,326,798 times
The same rule applies here as in most major cities: Generally whereever you see railroad tracks (and/or trolley tracks as the case may be), those are not going to be the best or most pristine parts of town. It sounds like you spent a good deal of time here on the trolley, which would explain why you did not see the San Diego you saw online. It is a beautiful city and area though--hope you get to check more of it out.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 PM

462 posts, read 1,326,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Hi everyone,

It has rained almost incessantly for a few days. Light rain but all day.

Today the sun finally broke out but the weather is still pretty chilly. Even for one such as me who was living in -30 C weather before I arrived.

Carlos
The idea that San Diego is supposed to be like a hot July day year round is a fallacy--south Florida maybe--not here. The thermometer is much shorter here than other parts of the U.S., but winter IS different than summer, unless there is a hot Santa Ana going through, and like one poster said, we are in the throes of our rainy season now.

This is not the best time to visit, unless you want to trade snow and 19 degrees for the possibility of rain and 58 degrees; otherwise, I'd recommend March or April or July-November as the best time to visit if you want that classic San Diego weather. (May-June are gray months here).

Anyway, welcome

Last edited by jkoz; 12-27-2008 at 05:30 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 PM

2,964 posts, read 6,619,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I think you are not seeing the forest through the trees.
What are you trying to insinuate Damon? That there is a whole forest of OTHER hot drunk chicks out there, so the OP shouldn't settle for the hot drunk chick at hand because there will be a boatload of hot drunk chicks to choose from in the future?

Welcome to Pacific Beach!

Old 12-27-2008, 07:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,290,151 times
I wish I had more time to respond tonight but the Starbucks I am at closes in 15 minutes so...until another day.

Let me just say though...that today I got a chance to see some beautiful areas at last! The Coronado Hotel beach. Coronado itself. BEAUTIFUL!

Amazing contrast between it and the area on the other side of the connecting bridge.

More another day.

Carlos

Old 12-27-2008, 08:16 PM

2,115 posts, read 3,104,805 times
When people take pictures of San Diego, they take less pictures of downtown than other areas. There's a reason for that.

La Jolla Cove is a nice looking area. So is Rancho Santa Fe, 4S Ranch, southern Poway, Eastlake, Coronado, Carmel Valley, and some parts of Sorrento Valley.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,022,847 times
You're a great writer, Carlos

Old 12-27-2008, 09:11 PM

200 posts, read 633,045 times
Default race

I just popped in from Hawaii to check on some posts and noticed yours....I read it and have one question....it seems that since San Diego has black folks and mexican folks that seem to bother you in some way....how are you "white" with the name Carlos?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
339 posts, read 913,364 times
Quote:
I've also met a number of persons who don't speak any English at all.
Thats funny...the whole time I lived in the San Diego area I never once had a problem with someone not speaking English and I lived in Chula Vista. The only time (just a couple by the way) was at the Coronado Beaches near the Hotel Del and they were "tourist". Some from Europe and some from Asia.

You can't go by first impressions when your trying to figure out a new place and only give it a day. If I had done that , I wouldn't have liked what was around us as well when we first arrived. We lived in the Navy Lodge at 28th Street near the ship yards and the Naval Base for 2 weeks and you don't want to walk outside that gate after dark.

But we drove around looking for housing and begain to see the beauty of the area right away. Heck we were only there for 3 years and I'm sure we still didn't see everything, infact I know we didn't thats why we're planning on coming back soon for a vacation. Anyway Mr. Calos I wish you luck, but I think in the end San Diego is not going to agree we you.

Its no fun living in Paradise or the next best thing and just getting by.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 18,782 times
So does anyone know which areas of California are better - like San Jose area? Orange County? or is it just that the big city areas are typically this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego