U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2008, 12:15 PM

200 posts, read 610,854 times
Default culture

San Diego and pretty much all of So Cal are great places to live. Expensive yes but well worth it on so many levels. Great schools both for young kids and college, great weather, friendly normal people, every kind of store/shop you could ever want/need, ocean, mountain, desert all so close,.......list could go on and on.

The spanish influence in San Diego is what we miss the most. The great mexican restaurants and the spanish areas like Old Town are some of the best spots to spend a weekend strolling with family.

-The original poster (Carlos) will surely miss out on what San Diego is all about if all he can see are the black and mexican people.

BTW, I don't know many cities of any size in our country where you will find only whites. Maybe some of the small southern towns are still living in the days of segragation but the modern places actually have bathrooms that are shared by all races and drinking fountains that anyone can drink out of.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:27 PM

26 posts, read 118,647 times
If you are using the trolley or bus to get around, yes, you will primarily encounter impoverished people. People who cannot afford the expense of cars, insurance, and gas needed to get around a county that is HEAVILY dependent on having a car. In San Diego (and most metropolitan areas of the US), the poor have brown skin. There is no more clear way to see that in our city than to ride public transportation. The middle class and the affluent have cars, and we drive them a lot. Most suburban teenagers and white collar adults in San Diego have never taken the bus or trolley (and if they have, it was only to go from Fashion Valley to a Padres or Charger game).

I don't care what metropolitan area you're talking about, the post cards and magazine features are not going to depict the poorest parts of town, but only the most idyllic and photogenic scenes. There is plenty of those places in San Diego, but there are also plenty of inner city areas abandoned long ago by the affluent who have continuously moved north as the freeways have added lanes and canyons were filled in for new master-planned communities.

And, yes, San Diego has a homeless problem, as most large cities do. As a community, we don't particularly care about the homeless, and generally just want them out of sight. Activists fight to have a tent city or temporary winter shelters every year, and every year the shelter moves further out of town and is able to serve fewer people. But, people who have a great life here pay a lot of money to do so. They commute long miles and work long hours. At the end of the day, they don't want to have to step over urine-soaked schizophrenic on their way to drink a $15 martini at a Gaslamp restaurant.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 PM

26 posts, read 57,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
I just popped in from Hawaii to check on some posts and noticed yours....I read it and have one question....it seems that since San Diego has black folks and mexican folks that seem to bother you in some way....how are you "white" with the name Carlos?
I was wondering the same thing. I know people are sometimes just trying to be descriptive and don't mean to be insulting, but phrases like "over-run" (which I've read in several posts) shouldn't be used to describe populations, unless you're talking about insect infestations.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:25 AM

171 posts, read 392,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmonroe View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I know people are sometimes just trying to be descriptive and don't mean to be insulting, but phrases like "over-run" (which I've read in several posts) shouldn't be used to describe populations, unless you're talking about insect infestations.
I always feel that way when people post things like that.

"I'm not racist, but this place has too many mexicans" is basically what people say with nicer words. They will also use "large immigrant population" or when referring to schools they say "that is a bad school. there are too many hispanics". Just say what you mean and mean what you say.

The mexicans in San Diego is what makes it have flavor. I think what some people are afraid of is that they think mexicans will make San diego look like Tijuana.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:51 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,666,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Here there are young black guys walking around everywhere with hoodies. Homeboys. I have nothing against black people per se and none have bothered me. On the contrary they have been quite nice but it has left me with an impression that the whole place is kinda run down.
So because a place has young black men walking around in hoodies, It's run down ?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 AM

54 posts, read 85,248 times
Default Whew!!!

I've been waiting and hoping someone from San Diego would comment on the extensive amount of bigotry found in " My first impressions of San Diego"

Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 AM

105 posts, read 221,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstress View Post
I've been waiting and hoping someone from San Diego would comment on the extensive amount of bigotry found in " My first impressions of San Diego"
Ditto. Even prompted me to look up these statistics:

Races in San Diego:

• White Non-Hispanic (49.4%)
  • Hispanic (25.4%)
  • Other race (12.4%)
  • Black (7.9%)
  • Filipino (6.1%)
  • Two or more races (4.8%)
  • Vietnamese (2.2%)
  • Chinese (1.9%)
  • Other Asian (1.5%)
  • American Indian (1.3%)
  • Japanese (0.8%)
  • Korean (0.6%)
  • Asian Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)

Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Diego-California.html

Though, I may give the OP the benefit of doubt and assume he's experiencing some sort of culture shock. It seems to me he's just watched a little bit too much t.v. or "shoot-em-up" movies w/ his "blacks with hoodies" and "homeboys" comments.

I don't think he meant any harm, but just lacks culture and experience in diversity.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 AM

171 posts, read 392,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Can't use the words over-run to describe the invasion from Mexico? That's PC nonsense. The sort of thing taught in CA colleges these days.
I was just saying I don't like it when people use euphemisms.

I currently live in a neighborhood where we are the only white people. We get along fine with our neighbors but I think the best living situation would be in a very diverse neighborhood. I don't think anyone wants to be the only black person in a white neighborhood and visa versa. Thats what I love about San Diego is the black, hispanic, asian, white mix that makes a lot of areas diverse.

Here in Atlanta it is mainly black/white. Its like trying to make a chilli with only salt and pepper. Without the cumin, chili powder, garlic, etc...it becomes bland.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM

855 posts, read 1,354,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacole View Post
I was just saying I don't like it when people use euphemisms.

I currently live in a neighborhood where we are the only white people. We get along fine with our neighbors but I think the best living situation would be in a very diverse neighborhood. I don't think anyone wants to be the only black person in a white neighborhood and visa versa. Thats what I love about San Diego is the black, hispanic, asian, white mix that makes a lot of areas diverse.

Here in Atlanta it is mainly black/white. Its like trying to make a chilli with only salt and pepper. Without the cumin, chili powder, garlic, etc...it becomes bland.
Our Scripps Ranch neighohbood is about 80% white and I think it's too one-sided. Many times, I feel like I am not wanted here, but we love our house and the aesthetics of the environment so much. We could see alot of potential in the area. My fiancee and I, everytime we see a house on sale, we hope for other than white race to move into that house.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 PM

1,991 posts, read 2,153,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
Thats funny...the whole time I lived in the San Diego area I never once had a problem with someone not speaking English and I lived in Chula Vista.
How did you like living in Chula Vista? What did you like the most and the least?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego