U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM

200 posts, read 626,191 times
Default windows

Curiously....why are you washing windows for a living when you clearly have an "edumaction" by your writing and spelling???? Aloha

Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 PM

855 posts, read 1,391,967 times
Give this guy a break. He came from Canada (where great majority is white) or at least he was living there for several years. He's culture shocked. Of course he didn't expect that many blacks and hispanics. I was when I came to San Diego. I was miserable for the first 6 months and I am slowly appreciate the calmness of SD.

Carlos, you got it right by going up to North County (not Escondido, San Marcos, Vista, etc.) where the suburbs are. There are alot ot two storied homes that need window cleaning.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 AM

258 posts, read 1,014,318 times
Carlos you have made it to SD !

You seem like an intelligent and resourceful guy. You'll do just fine here.

But don't limit yourself to window washing. No offence, but you seem capable of so much more.

Don't let others discourage you. You can make a good life here. Just work hard and save as much money as you can.

Along with some snobs, you'll find some really nice people here as well.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,276,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy06 View Post
"Here there are young black guys walking around everywhere with hoodies. Homeboys. I have nothing against black people per se and none have bothered me. On the contrary they have been quite nice but it has left me with an impression that the whole place is kinda run down. Not just the houses I have seen but the people are more typical of inner city Chicago than what I had previously believed to be beautiful San Diego."

Again, I understand what you mean, but it was expressed in a insensitive manner.
Hmmm...I hadn't realized that I had said things in such a way as to so closely tie the term "run down" with not just the look of the houses but the look of the people.

I do think I said that rather insenstively and stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out MrNiceGuy.

Hmmm...I guess I associate a place with being run down when I see people that look more like what I would expect to find in inner city Chicago, Detroit, or the ghetto sections of New York combined with housing that seems ready to fall apart.

My apologies to anyone reading this thread who dresses in hoodies and who is trying to keep their place looking halfway decent. Just because you may dress differently than what I am used to seeing doesn't mean that you are a person of poor character. Such a view based on your dress would indeed be very judgmental and dishonoring to God.

I'll need to think about my views of these type of things a bit more. Maybe I will change my views some. Regardless I do need to be a bit more sensitive in what I say I think.

Thanks again for pointing that out MrNiceGuy.

Carlos

Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,276,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
Curiously....why are you washing windows for a living when you clearly have an "edumaction" by your writing and spelling???? Aloha
Hmmm...I think I will stick to window cleaning instead of relying on my "edumaction" LOL.

Please see my response to a similar question posed to me a few posts back for my longer answer .

My short answer is....I have freedom and no one in their right mind is going to pay me what I make when cleaning windows for the rich. I routinely make $25-50 an HOUR! I kid you not. Putting some water on glass. Well...it's a bit more than that but not by much . The easiest, highest paying work I've ever done!

The person from whom I have been renting a room for $80 a week, right here in San Diego, has offered to let me rent his car for $10 a day or I can pay his car insurance and use the car for a month. I will shortly be able to reach the truly nicer neighborhoods and start making the big money again. God willing of course.

Given that I will shortly be renting a fifth wheel complete with private bathroom, internet and the works for a measly $200 a month, again in the middle of San Diego, I should be able to save up a nice bundle.

Carlos

Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 PM

462 posts, read 1,314,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
Sigh...sigh...sigh...

I said run down because of houses that are not taken care of. Cracked sidewalks. Poorly painted or not painted at all fences. Rusty. Weeds. Corrugated tin roofs laying over each other at various angles. And so forth.
I'd suggest you take a trip to Detroit, Michigan sometime and walk around their "downtown" areas--there are miles, not blocks, miles of abandoned, gutted homes in what were once respectable neighborhoods. There are still partially burnt out homes there never rebuilt following the race riots of the 60s. The areas of S.D. you describe above will look palacial and pristine in comparison, believe me.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,085,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I'd suggest you take a trip to Detroit, Michigan sometime and walk around their "downtown" areas--there are miles, not blocks, miles of abandoned, gutted homes in what were once respectable neighborhoods. There are still partially burnt out homes there never rebuilt following the race riots of the 60s. The areas of S.D. you describe above will look palacial and pristine in comparison, believe me.
This is probably true, but what he is saying is from his perspective. Since he's coming from Canada, most cities there are very well kept up and look very nice. So just seeing some trash on the ground and unpainted buildings looks bad in comparison.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 AM

11 posts, read 20,076 times
Carlos,

Great writeup of San Diego, I strongly agree. Wow, Carlos ---very impressed with your accurate descriptions. I lived in San Diego for nearly 30 yrs. The cost of living, rundown neighborhoods, lack of people speaking ENGLISH, etc, etc, etc, forced us to sell our "shed" (2 bedroom condo) and move to the suburbs of Atlanta. Now before any of you bash on ATLANTA, I live in the north eastern suburbs (yes, downtown Atlanta is harsh). Very little if any crime and the cost of living is so reasonable in the suburbs. And people speak English...wow. And heck, I can afford a nice big home with yard, blah, blah, blah. $150,000 will get you a nice 4 bedroom, easily. $1200/mo rent will get you 3 or 4 bedroom home that is less than 10 yrs old. Wages are very similar to California as well.

Wife and I still have family in San Diego and go back every so often. I actually try to avoid the trip b/c the utter frustration dealing with San Diegans (not all of you of course). Go to a malls and feel like you are going to get robbed or shot. Walmart is trashed and over the speaker system is spanish music or the employees speak in Spanish....what? Yup, that is correct. Drive around and hope that you got the extra insurance on the rental car....many people don't have auto insurance in San Diego ---- i know first hand b/c when i lived in SD, I was an insurance agent. Scary place to drive.

Now someone said there are nice parts of San Diego. YES, absolutely. However most people cannot afford it. And if you can, you still have to drive into the "less desirable" areas to work/shop/entertainment/etc. Though home prices have come down quite a bit, getting into a nice/safe home is nearly impossible for under a half million dollars. Coronado, even the streets that are away from the beach are not affordable. I believe homes there start close to a million dollars and are pretty much teardowns. La Jolla, forget it. Now go inland where it is a little more affordable and the temperatures exceed 100 in the summers. Turn on your A/C (if you have it) and now your energy bill is $400/mo ----remember cost of living, home prices aren't the only thing that is expensive. Gasoline, I don't even want to go there. Utilities, YIKES!

Now the good: Beaches are beautiful. Weather is pretty decent, though I loved your comment Carlos, about being cold and you are from Canada. I can remember when it was 45 one evening in San Diego and I was absolutely FREEZING. Coldest I had ever been....I was shaking. There is something about San Diego's weather --- it may be 45, but it's a COLD 45.

Carlos, again, you have summed up San Diego very well. I shake my head when people in Atlanta say they want to live in California (but have never been there). Ya, good luck. Better make a lot of money and learn Spanish. Now, I meet many people in Atlanta that moved from Southern Cali and most feel the exact same way as we do. Most would NEVER go back to live in San Diego ---visit yes, but not live there. Oh, on a similar note...we have had friends from San Diego come out here to visit and they fell in love with the Atlanta suburbs. Their only issue is they can't leave b/c they don't want to leave their families....whatever, to each is own.

I can go on and on, but you get the point.
Just my 2 cents. =)

Last edited by 95g atl; 01-02-2009 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 AM

11 posts, read 21,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95g atl View Post
Carlos,

Great writeup of San Diego, I strongly agree. Wow, Carlos ---very impressed with your accurate descriptions. I lived in San Diego for nearly 30 yrs. The cost of living, rundown neighborhoods, lack of people speaking ENGLISH, etc, etc, etc, forced us to sell our "shed" (2 bedroom condo) and move to the suburbs of Atlanta. Now before any of you bash on ATLANTA, I live in the north eastern suburbs (yes, downtown Atlanta is harsh). Very little if any crime and the cost of living is so reasonable in the suburbs. And people speak English...wow. And heck, I can afford a nice big home with yard, blah, blah, blah. $150,000 will get you a nice 4 bedroom, easily. $1200/mo rent will get you 3 or 4 bedroom home that is less than 10 yrs old. Wages are very similar to California as well.
I'd actually hate on the 'burbs more than Downtown.. the northeast suburbs (Alpharetta/Roswell in particular) are some of my least favorite parts of Atlanta. I grew up there and lived there until I was 18 and Alpharetta is particular, while "clean" and upscale, is the most soulless, strip-mall / mega-mall / chain store expanse I've ever been to. Outside of a few cool restaurants that have expanded there from other areas (like the Taqueria Del Sol that opened out there after the one in Decatur succeeded) it's all generic chain restaurants, cookie cutter subdivisions, giant malls, and giant SUVs. Ick.

I like areas like downtown Decatur a whole lot better (some unique restaurants and shops, walkable, plenty of cool things there and if you head down Ponce into Midtown) but I just never pictured Atlanta as some great living destination - it's not bad if you have family there, it's certainly more affordable than Cali, and there's bright spots like Decatur but the traffic is horrendous and everything's just so spread out. And the weather sucks and it's min 4-5 hours to a decent beach like Hilton Head, longer to Florida. It may feel cold sometimes in SD but I can't stand Atlanta's humidity and it gets pretty damn cold there in the winter given the humidity and heat you have to suffer through in the summer months.

I appreciate your thoughts though, I'm on the other end of the equation I guess in that I grew up in the Southeast (went to school in Chapel Hill, NC and living around here since I graduated) and my company is relocating to San Diego in March. I haven't lived on the West Coast so I'd probably fall into your category of people who think they'd like it out there but don't know what they are talking about . I certainly don't expect it to be perfect, and cost of living is a concern, but I'm just hoping for a change of pace from a Raleigh or an Atlanta and a little more of a downtown scene without being too big (SF/NY/etc) with nice weather. Looking at East Village, Hillcrest areas, but I'm not in the market to buy for awhile yet (just 23) so I'm sure I'll be less positive when that time rolls around if we're still out there.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM

5,634 posts, read 7,902,294 times
Hey Carlos,

Just checkin' the other coast to see if you made it down O.K. Looks like you did! SWEET! i'm glad you're there safe and sound, and have had some luck lining up some window cleaning jobs! You're too cool! You may not be the wealthiest guy in SD, but you have a lot more figured out than many people do! Just wanted to say high! i'm sure some of your other SWFL friends will wish you the best too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego