Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72degreeboredom View Post
At the end of the day, they don't want to have to step over urine-soaked schizophrenic on their way to drink a $15 martini at a Gaslamp restaurant.
I can understand that. For sure. I have lived a technically homeless life for several years while sleeping in my truck. But you would have never known it. I honestly and truthfully don't understand the typical homeless person. I wouldn't want to step over some like you describe either .

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynmonroe View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I know people are sometimes just trying to be descriptive and don't mean to be insulting, but phrases like "over-run" (which I've read in several posts) shouldn't be used to describe populations, unless you're talking about insect infestations.
I was not referring to the people when I said that the place looks dumpy and run down. Again....DON'T go reading more into what I said than what I actually said. I said the PLACE looks dumpy and run down. And I say it still in general...though since I wrote that post I have seen some great looking places.

I LOVE downtown San Diego (well...at least some parts). It reminds me of some wonderful large cities in South America that I have visited (one of which I would eventually want to go and live in).

Incidentally...I see nothing wrong with describing a certain class of persons as looking bedraggled and sloppy. If that is indeed descriptive of them as a class. Typical homeless people come to mind. That's just the way they tend to look. Plain and simple. Not all look that way (I don't for example) though most do.

I think some Californians would differ with me on that .

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
So because a place has young black men walking around in hoodies, It's run down ?

Sigh...sigh...sigh...

Pray tell...where did I connect young black men walking around with hoodies with a place being run down?

I said run down because of houses that are not taken care of. Cracked sidewalks. Poorly painted or not painted at all fences. Rusty. Weeds. Corrugated tin roofs laying over each other at various angles. And so forth.

None of which has anything at all to do with black men walking around in hoodies

Some of you folks need to chill out on this racist thing. Maybe all of California needs to take a chill pill and stop seeing racism behind every bush or something.

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I don't think he meant any harm, but just lacks culture and experience in diversity.
So...now I lack culture for stating a true first impression from someone who has never lived in the area before? Good grief.

Experience in diversity might be somewhat accurate if you mean by that, that I have never lived among young black men with hoodies and assorted tatoes on their arms. You are absolutely right about that...so it impressed me as different.

I'll tell you one thing. I am getting a real good education in the way that some Californians twist things that are said to imply that one is racist when they are not.

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
All SD library branches have free WiFi. You can either go inside, or access it from outside within a close proximity to the building. It's on 24/7, so you can use it even when the library is closed.
Thanks for the heads up RD5050. Much appreciated. It's been frustrating not having constant internet access. I presently go the airport to get access though shortly I will live in a place where I always have it available.

La Jolla is a beautiful place. I had a chance to go there a couple of days ago to solicit for window cleaning. It reminds me a lot of some parts of Palma de Mallorca where I once lived.

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 PM

137 posts, read 384,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post

Likewise I did not expect to find so many Mexicans and blacks in San Diego.

Carlos

Really?
So you didn't do so well in geography....didn't you realize how close San Diego is to the Mexican border?

Personally I don't see many black people but Mexicans - um, yeah they're everywhere. Of course I live about five minutes from the border and I understand the further north you go in San Diego, you tend to see less.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
I don't think San Diego is for you, Carlos. It's not for everyone. Some people hate it. I think you should just save yourself some time and trouble, gas up the van, point it north, and head back to Canada. Good luck to ya.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
Really?
So you didn't do so well in geography....didn't you realize how close San Diego is to the Mexican border?
I did quite well in geography actually. I even know that the US is South of Canada

But to automatically assume that San Diego is full of Mexicans just because it is close is about as logical as saying that Germany is full of French persons because...well...France is next door. Which as you well know...ain't neccessarily so .

As I said....it was a bit surprising.

I still don't get how the US can on the one hand get tougher on illegal immigration and on the other allow most anyone from Mexico on southward to come in as a visitor. I mean...it seems that coming here illegally is as easy as saying that one is coming in to visit whereas in actual fact one ends up staying indefinitely. I don't get all this crossing of the deserts to come here if it as easy as coming in for a friendly visit. Of course...I am sure there is more to all this than meets the eye. I am still learning things and undoubtedly have much more to learn about this area.

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I don't think San Diego is for you, Carlos. It's not for everyone. Some people hate it. I think you should just save yourself some time and trouble, gas up the van, point it north, and head back to Canada. Good luck to ya.
It's just fine for now Encinitan. I like it here and God willing, I will stay for some time. It's not my final destination in life mind you. My eventual goal is to end up in South America somewhere close to where I was born. But in order to do that I will need to first become successful in some internet business or figure out some other way to make a living without being dependent on the local economy down there.

Whatever the make-up of San Diego...I came here for the weather. So if I can get situated in a small room with a desk and nice office chair with internet access, be near a nice buffet restaurant, and save money...I will be content until I can head to South America.

I mean there are lots of other things that would make San Diego a better or potential worse place for me to be but just about anything I might encounter here...beats where I was. Living in -30 C below weather for several months of the year with winter weather lasting up to 6 months of each year!

I've already gotten a monthly window cleaning job! If I can get two I can get more. All by trolley and bus!

Once I buy me some wheels I will head out to the really nice areas that are not reachable by public transportation to do some serious and high paying window cleaning work.

Carlos

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM

105 posts, read 336,420 times
Merriam-Webster:

racism - racial prejudice or discrimination

prejudice - an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
...It is not that there are Mexicans or blacks around me that bothers me. It is the perception that among those I have seen there are some that under normal circumstances I would tend to associate with being a potential problem by their dress and mannerisms that has concerned me a bit.

Carlos

Now I have nothing against you, maybe you are unaware (or in denial), but your words make it pretty clear what issues you have w/people of a different culture. People who don't look or dress like you..and apparently don't have the same mannerisms (whatever that means).

"Here there are young black guys walking around everywhere with hoodies. Homeboys. I have nothing against black people per se and none have bothered me. On the contrary they have been quite nice but it has left me with an impression that the whole place is kinda run down. Not just the houses I have seen but the people are more typical of inner city Chicago than what I had previously believed to be beautiful San Diego."

Again, I understand what you mean, but it was expressed in a insensitive manner. Having said that, I don't think you are a racist and am enjoying your posts...so keep'em up!

P.S. Beware of guys with short hair and beards, with or without a bookbag and briefcase, wearing a Santa Claus outfit. Normally, you may not associate them with being a potential problem, but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego