Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

hey.
i hate the cold! and moving to san diego sounds like winning the lotto...but really the night life in nyc is like no other...and long island does not count as nyc!
i might be making the move to san diego soon, but for different reasons. keep us posted on how it goes. GOOD LUCK MAN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:24 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvSD View Post
San Diego has lots of pretty girls especially at the beach. Some beaches are great for family and kids while others are for the young and beautiful (I'm guessing that's you), still some are great for surfer dudes, and there's even a nude beach too. Check here for beach info: San Diego Beaches (http://www.san-diego-travels.com/beaches.html - broken link) and check the "Choose" a beach section.

Not a whole lot of night life, the only place I can think of is the Gaslamp district. See here for link near bottom of page: San Diego Attractions (http://www.san-diego-travels.com/attractions.html - broken link)
He'd probably fit in well with all the college kids in PB plus it would have the clubs and wild parties he's looking for.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,274 times
I moved to SD recently from Brooklyn and SD is better in some ways and not so good in others. The people here are very friendly for the most part. Very Friendly. But here every thing is so spread out. I don't know if you are from the city, island or upstate but if you are from the city, life here is kind of a slow pace. There is not much going on here compared to the city and depending on where you are in life, that may be a good thing or a bad thing. To me it is a bit of both. I never ever, while living in brooklyn, said to myself their is nothing to do, but I've said that to myself a number of times in the past week alone. Also here you have to drive every where you go. Public transportation is a joke. You have to own a car and drive everywhere you go. I do not care for that one bit. But the cost of living here is very cheap. You can get a real apartment for less than 2k here. Much less. I did not come here by choice. I had to come here for a job but with that said, I would not move here or anyplace nowadays without already having a job waiting for me there. The economy is just way to bad all over to be moving someplace and hoping something turns up. Hope don't pay the rent. And yes the weather is very nice here, much nicer than nyc. And you can go to the beach and see smoking hot women play volleyball. One of these days I'll move back to the city but for now, SD is not so bad.
And when you are sarcastic about things here, the way I am about most things in life, (like the above poster said) you got to kind of temper things because people do not understand you are just busting chops. People in california get upset when you say things that you would regularly say to people in ny. And you cannot find a decent slice of pizza any where. But it ain't so bad. Go to the beach on the weekend and it ain't bad at all.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 AM

Oh, I hate this "there is no good pizza" nonsense because there is plenty of of great pizza places. The thing is most are just not in the thin crust NYC style (though those exist too) and in fact most reasonable people agree that having the choice between a dozen different styles is better then 90%+ pf the places just having one style even if you are really attached to that one style. Different regions have different specialties so why not try some California style pizza rather then moaning about everything not being identical to New York style?

California-style pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-10-2009, 03:33 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Different regions have different specialties so why not try some California style pizza rather then moaning about everything not being identical to New York style?

California-style pizza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tried it many times. It sucks.

There's more choices for NY pizza than their used to be... Bronx, Luigis, Flippin', Knockout, a couple others too I believe. When I moved here it was just Bronx, it's getting better. You just have to go find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
And when you are sarcastic about things here, the way I am about most things in life, (like the above poster said) you got to kind of temper things because people do not understand you are just busting chops. People in california get upset when you say things that you would regularly say to people in ny.
Many people in San Diego don't have their sarcasm bit turned on. I have made co-workers cry and been fired from jobs for busting a little balls. It took me some years to figure out what people will and won't accept. People are much friendlier, which I appreciate, but that also means many have a much thinner skin.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-10-2009 at 03:43 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 04:38 PM

63 posts, read 283,407 times
Californians, real Californians just don't care for the aggressive, confrontational attitude of many NY/NJ folks. Want to "bust chops" or whatever ridiculous term you use, go do it in NY... Ever heard of the phrase: When in Rome, do as the Romans...

Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Many people in San Diego don't have their sarcasm bit turned on. I have made co-workers cry and been fired from jobs for busting a little balls. It took me some years to figure out what people will and won't accept. People are much friendlier, which I appreciate, but that also means many have a much thinner skin.
I noticed this too when I moved to California. The sense of humor just isn't the same.

I grew up in Florida, and then lived in Minnesota for several years, and even in Minnesota, it seems like I knew more goofy/funny characters than I've met in California.

Maybe my father's sense of humor gave me a sharper style of joking around that isn't always appreciated out here. He grew up in New Jersey, across the river from NYC in a working-class environment. He still has a little "Jersey" in him to this day.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivenhain View Post
Californians, real Californians just don't care for the aggressive, confrontational attitude of many NY/NJ folks. Want to "bust chops" or whatever ridiculous term you use, go do it in NY... Ever heard of the phrase: When in Rome, do as the Romans...
Man some Californians are so sensative. Thankfully some of us are real people out here. And If your cool person, nobody cares where your from.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 PM

63 posts, read 283,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Man some Californians are so sensative. Thankfully some of us are real people out here. And If your cool person, nobody cares where your from.

Oh, you just bustin chops homie?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Tried it many times. It sucks.
It sucks? Well, I find New York pizza to be subpar pizza with crappy crunchy crust. I especially hate the bad attitude they give you when you buy their subpar pizza. Yes, this is an opinion but it is equally valid to your own. Of course the real kicker is why are there so few New York style pizza places outside New York? The answer is simple, it's because the market has spoken and most people find it to be inferior pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: