U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
pll pll started this thread

921 posts, read 1,281,962 times
Default Temecula: Should We Buy a Home or Rent?

We are planning to move to Temecula within the next couple years. In the past when we have moved we have always went straight into a home. Sometimes we were glad that we did other times it wasn't a very good descision. We are considering the possibilty of moving temporarily to an apartment so we can find an area that suits us best. However, in doing this we run the risk of home prices increasing plus it would be a hassle putting our things in storage and moving twice. I know many people that have done this in the past and they were able to save and make a good choice on where they ended up living.
What does a 3 bedroom apartment rent for in Temecula? Would we be wasting our money?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,047,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
We are planning to move to Temecula within the next couple years. In the past when we have moved we have always went straight into a home. Sometimes we were glad that we did other times it wasn't a very good descision. We are considering the possibilty of moving temporarily to an apartment so we can find an area that suits us best. However, in doing this we run the risk of home prices increasing plus it would be a hassle putting our things in storage and moving twice. I know many people that have done this in the past and they were able to save and make a good choice on where they ended up living.
What does a 3 bedroom apartment rent for in Temecula? Would we be wasting our money?
Next couple of years is too far in the future to know. You are better learning about the area. Is there a reason for Temecula? Since there are other areas nearby.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,906,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Next couple of years is too far in the future to know. You are better learning about the area. Is there a reason for Temecula? Since there are other areas nearby.
Agree that the poster should study the area. Housing is still more reasonable than elsewhere in Orange county\ north SD county. It is hotter in summer but gets frost in winter. Lots of Mormon's

Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,626,686 times
Temecula is a relatively newish suburb full of track housing and little else. If you don't mind a two hour round trip commute each day in exchange for lower housing costs then it might be alright but if you do then I'd suggest looking closer to the city.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 AM

95 posts, read 225,331 times
Dont!!!! The values have gone down,I have a friend whose house went from 850,000 to 350,000. The temecula area has suffered terribly and will not bounce back easily(possibly never).Prices have dropped all over you would be better off living closer in to the coast...gas will be going up again and traffic is awful there....and hotter than hell.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:50 AM

We wouln't have to commute because we work home office. What towns along the coast have comparable home prices to Temecula? We would like a safe area with good schools as well. Do places like that exist closer to San Diego? I'd love to know. We are originally from the North County area but the high home prices drove us out of state 15 years ago. It gets super hot in the summer and snows in the winter where we live now.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 AM

63 posts, read 192,428 times
I would go ahead and buy. Prices are down significantly, but of course they will go up. And the smart people buy when prices are low, not high...

I assume you already know about the weather out in Temecula, as you didn't ask about living conditions, just housing prices. Currently, you can buy a very nice ~3000 square foot home in Temecula / Murrieta for around $250k. Absolutely no where on "the coast" you could get a similar place in a decent neighborhood for anywhere near that range. Personally, I would much rather live in Temecula / Murrieta than just about anywhere south of I-8. (Actually, we wouldn't live south of 56...) I feel some of the best values are in La Cresta, where you can get a 3000 square foot home on five acres for around $550k. All horse properties, all nice places. Indeed, the entire Santa Rosa Plateau is a great place to look. Especially since you work at home. About 10 minutes to the supermarket, hospital, Home Depot, all kinds of shopping, excellent schools, etc.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:44 PM

255 posts, read 461,238 times
The traffic in the summer is horrible. Just horrible. No way would I move there, check out Poway.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM

95 posts, read 225,331 times
TIP:if you have to buy there live as close to the 15 as possible.I bought out in the French Valley and at certain times of the day it could take 25 minutes to get to the 15!I dont see prices in that area coming back for years,I am glad I sold at the top.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:07 PM

Most of the complaints I read are related to the traffic and the commute. We work home office so it shouldn't be such a big problem. Is there a lot of traffic in town? Are the roads crowded going toward San Diego or L.A. on the weekends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego