U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 AM

37 posts, read 54,548 times
Default San Diego Downtown Vibe?

Hi,

I would like to know how is the vibe of San Deigo Downtown?
Is it comparable to the Downtown of NY or Chicago?...Do you find lots of people and activity?...or is it like LA Downtown which has minimal people hanging out.

Thanks!

Last edited by mbspfbpff; 01-12-2009 at 04:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:13 AM

2,915 posts, read 6,333,531 times
By all measures, San Diego's downtown is much better than downtown LA. There is considerable weekday activity over much of the area, and the Gaslamp District entertainment district is packed on evenings and weekends. However, the street life drops off rapidly outside of the Gaslamp area. It's still a bit of an artificial experience that was created rather than organically developed. Plus, the city hasn't quite managed to expand the Gaslamp experience beyond the 5th Avenue corridor. Still, the seed has been planted for a vibrant downtown area that will continue to grow. So, not on par with NYC and Chicago, but far and away better than LA.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 AM

165 posts, read 541,302 times
our downtown is actually nice...nowadays at least lol, west of park blvd

dont expect chicago or ny though, not nearly as big as those two, but bigger than alot of major cities

Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 AM

6,099 posts, read 11,022,053 times
after spending a decent amount of time in downtown SD, i have found that outside of the baseball stadium, the gaslamp quarter appears to have been created for tourists, especially those on cruises. It is very nice, but it's more like an outdoor mall with better dining options and some night life sprinkled in. don't get me wrong, it is fun, but none of the people i know who live in SD ever go there.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,725 times
Downtown San Diego is stupid and dumb. Los angeles downtown is a million times better. L.A. downtown is bigger and has better buildings and better nite life now with the new L.A. Live.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,521,868 times
If by bigger and better you mean more homeless people and muggers then yes downtown LA is better but if you don't mean that then no.

BTW San Diego's downtown is quite nice and lively but it is no NYC. We're 1/12 the size of NYC so it really shouldn't be that surprising.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Yeah, that's all part of the LA Live development, I've been down there many times, and it's ok but it's only a small part of downtown. It was basically an attempt to take the cesspool that was downtown LA and turn it into something decent which didn't make suburbanites run away in fear. To achieve this goal they flattened a portion of downtown and basically built a themed shopping mall with some live entertainment.

In my mind it comes off as fake and plastic feeling without any history or character. It's just another generic place now which is a shame since there used to be a lot of great historical structures which could have been used to create a really unique place with history and character but it didn't happen.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Now K-Town that's a pretty cool place.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM

6,099 posts, read 11,022,053 times
i think that any place that was created to draw masses of people feels fake. even times square is completely cheesy and filled with fat tourists from all over the country. you go once and you've seen it enough for a lifetime. atleast LA and SD are trying to offer some services to locals in their respective hubs (LA Live/Gaslamp) through various dining and entertainment options. I guess the broadway theaters are next to times square in nyc, but i'm pretty sure they were there before the area became a tourist magnet.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

2,663 posts, read 5,345,959 times
San Diego's Downtown is active because most of the cities activities such as business and entertainment are concentrated in the single urban core of Downtown, unlike Los Angeles where there is more activity in Hollywood than its downtown, or Atlanta which has Midtown and Buckhead in addition to Downtown. Downtown L.A. is still strictly a business district, although in recent years there have been efforts to draw more people there after working hours, such as night clubs and the more recent L.A. Live complex. Downtown San Diego has The Gaslamp which is the top area in the city for nightlife so it gets busy on Fri. and Sat. nights, although Pacific Beach is another option which is more casual. Dowtown S.D. also has Seaport Village and Little Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego