Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,606 times

Advertisements

Ha! It is true that parking is much tighter and everything seems more condensed. I also forgot to mention the homeless problem. That is probably the thing I like the very least, especially since many are running scams or just harass you. One homeless guy who always hangs out at the laundromat down the road was on one of the street corners today holding up a sign that he was in need of bus fare, which was most likely a complete lie. Everything else is manageable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
One homeless guy who always hangs out at the laundromat down the road was on one of the street corners today holding up a sign that he was in need of bus fare, which was most likely a complete lie.
What part of town was this in?

I never think of San Diego as having a large homeless population, at least not when compared to L.A. or San Francisco.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 AM

117 posts, read 340,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I never think of San Diego as having a large homeless population, at least not when compared to L.A. or San Francisco.

I always see people standing on corners of an intersection. Some look homeless and some look totally clean and look like they have money. I see a ton downtown on Friday or Saturday nights when I go visit my friend working at a bar. I see them in La Jolla (probably scamming). I see them in Mission Valley. They're around.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,606 times
This was in Clairemont, but I see them everywhere. It may be true that it's much worse in LA and San Fran, but it's a culture shock for many people who aren't used to it. Sure, you see homeless people in just about every major city, but not so much in the suburbs and beaches. Probably the most off putting experience so far was when we drove downtown on Christmas Day. They had the run of the city and came out in droves. I had a visitor with me at the time and it didn't make for a good first impression.

Quote:

Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
I'd rather see a homeless person holding a sign, than one sniffing food scraps he took out of a trash can, to see if it's edible. I've seen this occur a few times in Mission Bay and at Pacific Beach. Once just a few days ago at PB. The homeless situation isn't overwhelming here, but they are definitely around.

Another bad thing is the way people drive. They often speed, and fail to use turn signals. Also many are still talking on the phone while driving, even though it's illegal in CA.

But as people already mentioned, the best things about SD are the year round spring-like weather, and the abundance of things to see and do. There is also the beautiful surroundings ... palm trees, exotic flowers, beautiful beaches, bays, mountains, and desert. San Diego is probably one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM

105 posts, read 338,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Ha! It is true that parking is much tighter and everything seems more condensed. I also forgot to mention the homeless problem. That is probably the thing I like the very least, especially since many are running scams or just harass you. One homeless guy who always hangs out at the laundromat down the road was on one of the street corners today holding up a sign that he was in need of bus fare, which was most likely a complete lie. Everything else is manageable to me.
They only harass me when I wear a shirt and tie, which is not often. The last one I encountered blamed me for the economy.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:26 AM

6 posts, read 16,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy82 View Post
Hi guys!!

I'm from Chicago moving to San Diego soon... I give up on the 35 below zero bitterly cold and the 12 inches of snow...

I've already found out a lot about this cities, but I would like to hear from people who is a resident the best and worts about San Diego.

In addition, the neighborhoods to avoid

I have no children, I will just move with my wife.
We do not plan to have children for now, and if we do in the future, we will already be in San Diego to find out the best for the kids.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
San Diego is great if you ever decide to have kids.

Oh and since you said you were with your wife, if you ever needed to get away from home but didnt want to travel far I would suggest the San Diego Comfort Inn. Also if you like golf check out The Lodge at Torrey Pines.

Hope this helps!

-jill from san diego

Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy82 View Post
Hi guys!!

I'm from Chicago moving to San Diego soon... I give up on the 35 below zero bitterly cold and the 12 inches of snow...

I've already found out a lot about this cities, but I would like to hear from people who is a resident the best and worts about San Diego.

In addition, the neighborhoods to avoid

I have no children, I will just move with my wife.
We do not plan to have children for now, and if we do in the future, we will already be in San Diego to find out the best for the kids.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Best: Weather & quality of life.

Worst: No mass transit, the recession has hit hard so jobs are hard to come by right now, and much of the population are from out of state. The out of staters often come from very conservative parts of the country which are less developed and rural but they come here with the mind set which ruined the crap holes they came from and which they had to leave due to lack of opportunity. Basically they come here for opportunities they can't get in their red states but try to screw here up just like they did their original homes.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Quote:

Balboa Park near the zoo is known (or at least was known) for having homeless people in the area.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 26,228 times
Anywhere down south has bums, there even migrating to Mira Mesa now. Stay up north of San Diego and youl be okay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego