Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,855,879 times

Advertisements

Gents,
Any pizza ranking list submitted for our perusal would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,855,879 times
What about Knockout up in Carlsbad?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,352,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
What about Knockout up in Carlsbad?
Also good.

Here's the deal... Bronx in Hillcrest was first and brought a bunch of experienced pizzeria guys from NYC area. They had to bring out their own people because you can't find career pizzeria guys here in CA. Eventually some of those guys split off and started their own parlors. Luigis and Knockout are splinters from the original Bronx crew and the pizzas are very similar. There was another on Mission Gorge but I am not sure if he is still there. There is some bad blood among the original crew and Bronx has taken to printing "not affiliated with any other pizzaria" on their boxes. Not sure about Flippin but that guy is from NY as well.

Any of them are fine choices. They tend to be very similar. Between those 4 or 5 places those are really the only pizzerias in San Diego. All are good, but none of them are spectacular by NY standards. You have to go to the mothership to get the variety. Unfortunately you still cannot find the really old-school Italian-style NY pie here like you would at Lombardis or Grimaldis in New York.

The brewmaster who did Pizza Port (which is terrible) in Solana Beach are doing a place called Blind Lady in Normal Heights which looks like it has a real old-school artisan pie. I will have to let you know once I try it. There is also a place called Sicilian Thing in North Park which I have not yet tried. I used to live on Sicilian slizzos in high school.... I need to get over there.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-31-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 10:43 PM

41 posts, read 110,844 times
ok Sassberto how would you define the NY style pizza ? thick thin? mozzarella cheese fresh sliced or shredded? I hope when I'll get there you already tried the Sicilian Thing (being sicilian) because I need good pizza in my system!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:43 PM

139 posts, read 250,160 times
Is Pernicanos in El Cajon still awesome?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:21 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,288,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Don't make an argument out of it, please.
I try to confine my arguments to objective things and taste in food is one of those perfectly subjective things.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Any of them are fine choices. They tend to be very similar. Between those 4 or 5 places those are really the only pizzerias in San Diego.
OMG! ROTLMAO! Talk about taking a lame subjective stance which can't be backed up.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasferirci_a_SD View Post
ok Sassberto how would you define the NY style pizza ? thick thin? mozzarella cheese fresh sliced or shredded? I hope when I'll get there you already tried the Sicilian Thing (being sicilian) because I need good pizza in my system!
NY style is thin crunchy crusted pizza with light sauce and a few toppings. That is generally speaking. Some people are advanced enough to understand there is room for several styles of pizza and each has its own pluses and minuses. The other... They continue to claim the style they grew up on is the only "good" style and generally are unable to defend their personal choice with objective criteria (like freshness). I don't want to rehash the pizza thread Sassberto locked but if you are interested then search for it and you'll find the basic arguments.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
OMG! ROTLMAO! Talk about taking a lame subjective stance which can't be backed up.
There are other pizzerias in San Diego? Maybe. But those are pretty much the only Italian-American owned, by-the-slice, traditional parlors in San Diego. Just like I prefer my Chinese restaurants owned by Chinese people, I like my Italian restaurants owned by Italians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I don't want to rehash the pizza thread

You just did. You are obviously looking for an argument. The thread is not to debate you on whether or not you like something. We are answering the questions the OP asked. No one made any claims about anything being better than anything else. Do you have something to contribute to the OP's question or not?

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-01-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasferirci_a_SD View Post
Thin, crispy crust. Cheese should be sliced but some do shredded. Typical northeastern / NY suburbia peetz, you can find it in Philly, Boston, DC, really all any of those cities it's the same. Anywhere there is a large Italian-American presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego