Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM

23 posts, read 54,980 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for all the advice... We have decided to fly out in the end of June/early July to look for a place.... Does that give us enough time to find a place for August 1st?
It seems like it is too risky and since we have a 5 year old I really don't want to take a chance ending up in a bad place.
Percy82... Where are you moving from? I can't wait to live in a much more veggie friendly place then where I am at now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM

33 posts, read 120,253 times
Ekeaney7, I'm moving from Chicago, IL. Not the most vegan friendly city.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM

105 posts, read 336,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xadrian View Post
I wouldn't do it. My husband and I moved here 7 months ago, and after trying to find an apartment from 2,000 miles away we gave up. No apartment place seems to pick up their phones or call you back. (We did have a few places call us back 2 MONTHS later however..) Let me just say it's very hard to get apt. places to rent to you if you are moving. Mostly because even if you have a job lined up here you are just starting which means your work history with that new company sucks. We moved here and ended up burning $1,000 a week at a extended stay hotel just because apartments would not rent to us for $1,200 a month because my husband had a job lined up and so he had no work history at the new job..they wanted us to put down $8,000 for a deposit at one place to make up for the lack of work history at the new place. Um..no! Finally we got a place for $1,400 a month and it's the dump. We were desperate and tired of living in a dirty motel. Now we live in a slummy apt, with the tub that was stopped up for 2 months, the drain that is stopped up since we moved in over 6months ago, bugs..with a slum lord. It was that or burn through our savings to stay at a motel until someone would rent to us. I hope the best for you..might be easier to rent from someone who has a house over an apt complex, but then you have to worry about scammers or showing up and it's rented out!
I had a similar experience w/the complete opposite result. I moved from 1600 mi. away. I visited many complexes and owner rented places and not one person turned me down b/c I only had an offer letter (no work history)...and no one asked for an extra deposit either. After an exhausting week of searching, I found my apt., I pay less than $1400, and I love it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy82 View Post
We are also looking for an apartment, and like you, Ekeaney7, we are vegans!!!!

We have been searching at craiglist, at the online newspaper and different web sites for apartment search. It's hard, though, but it's not impossible.

The good part is that I will travel to SD by the end of this month and visit the apartments that we like more and rent.
We will travel with our 2 cats, so a hotel for a week or so, doesn't work.

MrNiceGuy06, is any of this complexes around Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, Hillcrest, Bay Park, Talmadge? and... pet friendly and not very expensive? 1b/1b, less than $1000/m.

Thanks!
I found a nice spanish cottage on Adams Ave. for $900, but my wife thought it was too small. I like it alot! From my experience, I found it difficult to locate a pet friendly apt. for less than $1000 (unless you are willing to live in a studio). I know they are out there, but you'd have to sacrifice things like, security, cleanliness, noise, etc. to find them.

I just re-read your post...no dogs? If so, I found plenty of one bedrooms in Bankers Hill for less than $1000 that took cats. North Golden Hill/South Park as well. GL!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM

93 posts, read 318,008 times
Quote:
Ekeaney7, I'm moving from Chicago, IL. Not the most vegan friendly city.
There are some one or two great vegan restaurants there, though! I visited Chicago last May and really enjoyed the eating out.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloxy View Post
There are some one or two great vegan restaurants there, though! I visited Chicago last May and really enjoyed the eating out.
Chicago Diner is a really good one.
Veggie Bite (vegan fast food) is also really good.

They are shrinking the portions and making them different. I bet is due the crisis.
I liked them most a year ago.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy06 View Post
I found a nice spanish cottage on Adams Ave. for $900, but my wife thought it was too small. I like it alot! From my experience, I found it difficult to locate a pet friendly apt. for less than $1000 (unless you are willing to live in a studio). I know they are out there, but you'd have to sacrifice things like, security, cleanliness, noise, etc. to find them.

I just re-read your post...no dogs? If so, I found plenty of one bedrooms in Bankers Hill for less than $1000 that took cats. North Golden Hill/South Park as well. GL!
I also found some... but they ask for $400 pet deposit/cat and a pet rent.
That's abusive!

We have been living in our actual apartment for 2 years and they didn't break anything.

Why do I have to pay almost $1000 for the cats?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I also found some... but they ask for $400 pet deposit/cat and a pet rent.
That's abusive!

We have been living in our actual apartment for 2 years and they didn't break anything.

Why do I have to pay almost $1000 for the cats?
Then you should get the deposit back...right??? And there are some that don't have pet rent.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:10 PM

124 posts, read 377,041 times
Don't do that, there are landlords who only wants your deposits and don't care about living condition. My nephew who did the long-distance renting without letting me know and it turned out that the apartment was a mess and it was not ready to move in when they came. Now they are in small claim court and that happened back in September last year.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy06 View Post
Then you should get the deposit back...right??? And there are some that don't have pet rent.
I knew I was getting a good deal here when the only deposit I had to pay was the standard deposit even with two cats. There is also no pet rent. If my cats decide to pee all over the place, well, first of all, they won't be my cats and second, my deposit would probably go to replace the carpet.

I have a feeling that's going to happen anyway even though the cats don't mess up the place. You can clearly tell where I do a lot of walking, and the carpet is tamped down a whole hell of a lot more in those areas than it is where I don't walk. By the time my lease is up next May, it's going to be even worse. I'm sure that they'll want to replace the carpet anyway after two and a half years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego