U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM

5,280 posts, read 4,511,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I was told by the realtor it would take around 1 year before the reassessment.
The SD County Assessor said they do reassessments in groups by area. So you just need to wait until your area is worked on.

They also have a large backlog of reassessments to do since lots of people filed property tax appeals this year.

But I wouldn't worry about having to pay a higher tax for this year. If you filed the appeals form on time, or purchased a foreclosure this past year,
I am pretty certain they are obligated to credit/refund to you for any excess tax you paid this year, once your reassessment is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:23 PM

289 posts, read 866,054 times
Default It doesn't take a year for new base value to be set

...when property transfers. Yes, the assessor's office is swamped, and no, the cities can't "drag their feet", as this is a COUNTY office. Generally, the county appraisers run anywhere from 2 - 6 months behind the recording date, depending on their workload, which right now with the tremendous number of foreclosures (which all require reassessment) is really high. The irony is that the county can't hire more appraisers to lower the backlog due to budget problems... The whole state budget crisis filters down to the counties and cities, because Sacramento sends us the money to administer county programs. Just read the U-T article the other day about the risk of funding being shut off for San Diego County's health services for the poor. So, even if you have a well run/efficient county or city operation, you are still affected by troubles in Sacramento.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 AM

17,257 posts, read 13,431,121 times
Wow, big CA Govt spending problems, where have I heard that before. CA Govt has only gotten bigger.

California's State Budget Crisis

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM

548 posts, read 1,552,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
deuterdu

How do I check to find out if any back taxes are owed on the house I will be purchasing?
Sorry it took so long to reply. I normally don't surf back into the same posts. Best way is to have a title company do a "title search" this will show you any liens or encumbrances on the property. They will most likely charge you a fee unless you have a buddy in the business who can pull a free one. If not PM me and I will see if i can get you a free title report for you from my sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego