U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 PM

286 posts, read 300,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillies123 View Post
hello all! I wanted to get some feedback about human resource jobs in san diego...I am graduating with a bachelor's in psychology, I am attending an internship in an HR department and thinking about moving to SD in 2011...My main concern is if I will have a broad range of jobs to choose from in Human resources in good ol' SD...any input on the job market in southern cali would be great also!!
2011? Who knows what the job market will be like here for anything two years from now. How many people would have correctly pegged the present job market or lack of one two years ago?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 PM

286 posts, read 300,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko959 View Post
What field are you in? I'm in Information Technology and am thinking about moving to San Diego. I'm 50 and have wanted to move to California since I was a teenager. I'm single, kids are grown, and I figure the time is right, personally, for me to move. Kind of scared though about finding employment, even in I.T. I'm about 1300 miles away and have applied for a few positions, but never get a call or email back.

The unemployment rate here in Oklahoma is less than 5%. But I can't stand living here anymore.
You'd better stay put until you don't need an IT job to live here. Everyone I know that still has a job in the field here is worried about getting laid off, and even when they are hiring, the industry doesn't put out the welcome mat if you're over 40 or 45.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:11 AM

95 posts, read 235,414 times
Thats true I knew a laid off manager that put out over 200 resumes; not 1 interview.....he was over 50 of course! So he started his own business since no one hired him...and he lost his 401k and went bankrupt.I felt so bad for him ,there is so much prejudice against white males over 50.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:12 AM

I too would advise you to stay and bite the bullet for awhile OR take a month off and try to come to California and secure the job FIRST.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM

55 posts, read 94,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy06 View Post
I don't think theres a shortage of jobs working with or for the gov't. in both Defense and non-Defense. Degree, experience, standout resume, and good interview skills go a long way. Networking will obviously increase your chances. If you are in IT, why not request a transfer, or if your co. isnt in SD, find a competitor...
Unfortunately, I am not working right now. My job was outsourced. The company I worked for did all of its IT work in Oklahoma. There are no competitors in San Diego.

Quite frankly, I am disturbed by the negative comments from some about hiring 50 year olds, especially white ones. First of all, I do not have gray hair, thanks to the miracle of hair coloring. Secondly, I have been told I don't look 50. I am in good shape and work out regularly. Although I am sure there is some age discrimination in the workplace, I can't believe there wouldn't be a place in San Diego for a person with as much experience as I have, no matter what the age.

If companies only hire the young, no wonder this country is in the shape it is in. They're missing out on some great employees with a wealth of experience. Maybe I ought to look farther west, like Japan or Singapore. Or is that east?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM

55 posts, read 94,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
You'd better stay put until you don't need an IT job to live here. Everyone I know that still has a job in the field here is worried about getting laid off, and even when they are hiring, the industry doesn't put out the welcome mat if you're over 40 or 45.

That's very sad to hear about the "unwelcome mat" just because you're older. Just plain stupidity.

I don't have to work in IT, but that's where I have my experience. I am not currently working at the moment, so I have nothing to lose by moving. Except of course my life savings.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM

489 posts, read 997,164 times
If you are 50 or over (even 45), you're done Today's world is all about the young kids (20's). Go into Best Buy, or any store, even the managers are pimply kids ha

Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

older workers have so much to offer especially in the way of experience...look at chesley sullenberger.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM

"my job was outsourced",that says it allAnd here is SD qualcomm hires so many Indians you feel like you are in Bombay.HB1 Visas , cheaper hires etc...that should be stopped in this market for sure. You might want to see if you could just freelance or consult, starting your own business, although its tough in this market starting a new business.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM

7,173 posts, read 18,565,421 times
IT is a young man's game. If you have 25 years of experience and I have 10 years experience, and we are up for a web development job... guess what... we both have the same experience, because there was no such thing as web development 25 years ago. There are a lot of developers who put a lot of time in front of Powerbuilder, and that time is unfortunately worth almost nothing today.

There is a definite stigma against older guys who have stayed hands-on without becoming management or consultants, or started their own shops.

San Diego is a tough market even in the best of times... but there are jobs out there if you have the specialties and niches people are hiring for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego