Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 AM

12 posts, read 19,286 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I are considering moving to California from Ireland in Europe. I am an American and my girlfriend is Irish.

I have recently qualified with a Law Degree from an Irish University and am contemplating sitting the California Bar Exams this coming September with the view to moving to California permanently to work as an Attorney.

As you are all aware, the whole world is in a recession and I am looking for advice and/or suggestions about moving and living in California.

Although I am American, I have lived in Ireland most my life but I do visit the States 2 or 3 times a year as we have a family home in Florida.

I am just looking for some advice from some people who are living and working in California at present (if possible, it would be great to hear from other Attorney's to see what the job market is like at the minute) to see what life is like over there at the moment.

What is living in California like and what areas of CA should I be looking at moving to?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 38,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver1 View Post
Hi all,

My partner and I are considering moving to California from Ireland in Europe. I am an American and my girlfriend is Irish.

I have recently qualified with a Law Degree from an Irish University and am contemplating sitting the California Bar Exams this coming September with the view to moving to California permanently to work as an Attorney.

As you are all aware, the whole world is in a recession and I am looking for advice and/or suggestions about moving and living in California.

Although I am American, I have lived in Ireland most my life but I do visit the States 2 or 3 times a year as we have a family home in Florida.

I am just looking for some advice from some people who are living and working in California at present (if possible, it would be great to hear from other Attorney's to see what the job market is like at the minute) to see what life is like over there at the moment.

What is living in California like and what areas of CA should I be looking at moving to?

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi,

I'm a 3rd generation San Diegan, and the youngest of 7 - all in the San Diego area.........and have sold real estate here for 22 years, currently work for a relocation company. So.......as someone who does this for a living, I can tell you in 22 years, I've never had anyone decline to move to San Diego because they don't want to live here. The real estate market right now is PERFECT for a buyer, not so good as a seller. Are we at the bottom? Dunno - but it's certainly much more affordable now than for years. The job market here is varied. It depends on which part of the industry you're interested in. San Diego has a varied job market, with a lot of military, medical, med-tech, computer tech, tourism and manufacturing - companies like Qualcomm and Intuit and Petco and Toyota and Pfizer and many more. We've got an Olympic training center located here for a reason, and lots of sports figures live or retire here - quite simply, our best feature is the weather. But also - the people of San Diego are really wonderful. Warm, welcoming, happy and charming.

It's a wonderful place to live, prices are finally reasonable again, and there's a wide gamut of industries to choose from, what's NOT to like?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Are there many Attorney jobs in San Diego and what are the house prices like? For example, a 3 bedroom family home in a good area - what price are we talking?

Old 02-13-2009, 04:47 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
I doubt your Irish law degree will help you much here but I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver1 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Are there many Attorney jobs in San Diego and what are the house prices like? For example, a 3 bedroom family home in a good area - what price are we talking?
Prices have come down a lot. You can now buy a 3 bed/ 2 bath condo for about $200,000 (which is about half the price charged in 2006) with detached single family homes now starting around the $400k-$500k price point.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,274 times
If you are not married, you girlfriend might have some immigration issues if she plans on staying. Call the the CA Law Board to see if they will have you but please note the economy is bad and will get much worse.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 AM

Hi guys,

thanks for the messages. My Law Degree does stand in CA as I will have sat the CA Bar Exams in September.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 11,450 times
Hi ,
I am from Ireland and have a company here in San Diego.
I mostly help J1 students but would love to help you as I moved here with my husband and 2 kids 3 years ago.
Please contact me through www.J1Juice.com
All I can say that if you can do it you will NEVER look back!
It's all small steps but if you work at it every day your dream becomes reality!
take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego