Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 PM

28 posts, read 51,557 times

Advertisements

It's winter (again) and my dh and I are thinking of moving south as we do every year. We are currently in CT and between us we earn about 140K. We live economically and are not big spenders. He is an engineer and I am a bilingual teacher. His salary would likely be increased if we were to move to CA. Mine would be whatever the teacher salary scale says, depending where I worked. Probably less that CT, as we have just about the highest teacher pay in the country.

Safe area and good schools are imperative for our kids, who will be in kindergarten and 8th grade next year. We'd like a 3-4br, 2ba, with a family-sized lot. 1/10 acre is just too close to the neighbors for me; 1/4 acre is about perfect, but we could be happy with less-especially if it was a neighborhood that the kids could ride bikes on the sidewalk, and play in common areas with other kids.

I had cousins in Chula Vista, whom we would visit when I was a kid. What I remember of the area I liked. Don't know if it has changed in the last 30 years.

Obviously we would not move unless my dh had already accepted a job offer that we could live with.

So what cities/areas are nice family areas with good schools? Not ritzy, but safe, comfortable, friendly kid areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 PM

239 posts, read 720,817 times
Wow! Your family sounds very much like mine. My children will also start Kindergarten and 8th grade in the fall. Don't tell me you also have two girls! Well, actually, please tell me you have two girls so we can meet up and be friends forever :-)

We are relocating at the end of the school year. My husband is there already, in fact, but I stayed back here with my girls so that my oldest could finish 7th grade at her current school.

I am a native Spanish speaker and a Spanish teacher. Do you have a Hispanic background yourself? I won't be looking for a job at least for the first year or so; I want to make sure I am available to my family while we transition into our new environment, but I would love to go back to teaching after that. The problem is the current job market does not look great, does it?

Good luck with your plans.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,407,439 times
East Chula Vista is a very good place to raise a family in my option. Chula Vista has changed alot in the 30 some years that you visited , the West side most likely where you visited as a kid has declined over the years , but the East side has developed nicely and is a very nice area to raise a family.

Of course if your husband or you get a job in the North County they you'd want to look for housing up in that area and I'm sure others can give you advice on those areas. Good Luck and hope you get to move out of the cold North East !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego