U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM

161 posts, read 301,142 times
FinkieMcGee, any leads or suggestions to try for internships? Being out of state at the moment makes some of this a little harder. I know most of the big corporate names in or around SD but not having done this sort of thing myself leaves me floundering a bit. As for the student, she is up for it but I really need her to keep focus on grades through the semester. Also, IMO small companies provide valuable experience too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 AM

18 posts, read 30,955 times
Internships are really hard to come especially for college students coming into their freshmen year. Most companies only want juniors-seniors and perhaps a couple of sophomores.

Yes, it is true that the best way to get into a UC school is from a JC because it saves the school and a student a lot of money since they and the student are not responsible for the extra college housing, food costs from a California resident standpoint.

Unfortunately, California is undergoing a BIG budget deficit and can not even afford college tuition money to its own people for school. Receiving discourage feedbacks should be expected especially during these bad times. It is really hard for a out of state to get into a University in California.... my best advice for career wise is to look up the best engineering schools around Georgia then get high gpas plus secure strong internships. That way you don't have to waste any time in productive learning and an engineering degree from Georgia with strong internship connections is just as good as degree from an in-state school in California and looks as attractive to employers as well. Smart students are easy to spot with or without the brand name.

Also try looking into other schools in the UC system that actually more open spots than the really competitive, cut-throat ones

Enroll in UC Merced or UC Riverside for 2 years....work hard and strive for a high gpa then transfer into Berkeley, UCLA, or UCSD for engineering...

UC Merced ----> UCSD works..

Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 PM

mrxalleycat, actually my daughter is finishing her first year at a top GA universtity (GA Tech) but is already in sophomore status- I believe I stated this already. She is also a very high GPA achiever - perfect so far, in fact.

She is looking to transfer to a UC school, either UCSD or UC Berkeley (where she will go for grad school if not undergrad) and will have enough credits by May '09 to earn her Junior status in GA Tech. As some have mentioned here, if it's good enough for GT it really should be good enough for UCSD (and probably Berkeley), but for the bureaucrazy I have already encountered on my first call to them.

So she is NOT coming into freshman year, but is two years ahead of that. Her major disadvantage, perhaps her only one, is that she will be from another state.

If you can suggest some ideas based on the above, it would be much appreciated.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,219,031 times
Forgive me, whynot1986, if I've missed something....but is there a way she can just stay at Georgia Tech., take as many hours as she can handle, and graduate early? That seems to be the path she's already on and something that a bright girl like her can handle. This will save everyone time, money, and a lot of hassle.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:18 AM

dweej, no problem - I don't know if the situation is as easy as that. While it is certainly a valid option, we are rather close as a family and all in all don't see this as an attractive alternative. We would probably end up with lots of expenses for travel and we'd still be far away after all that, so we (reasonably or not) came to the conclusion that we should move together.

Plus, her desire to live in CA is also pretty strong. When she applied to colleges nearly two years ago she really wanted Berkeley but we talked about it and she agreed it would not be aligned with our overall goals, so she didn't even apply there. She did apply to Duke and was admitted, but got so many scholarships at GT the choice was somewhat obvious given the above factors as well. I think she'd have been admitted to Berkeley had she applied but there's no way to be sure of course.

She is quite willing to make a sacrifice for living in California, such as 'losing' a year - I use quotes as an internship would not be a loss IMO.

The option you noted is a sensible one- but I suppose our whole 'move to California' plan is not really sensible (ie practical) anyway! (see my first thread, where I noted that life is ok here, just not what we want in the near or distant future.)

Last edited by whynot1986; 02-23-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 AM

532 posts, read 733,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
That is true, but going from Georgia Tech to Mesa college to get into UCSD is like taking a pit stop at kindergarten to get into the fourth grade!
The problem is using Mesa as the community college. Go to MiraCosta College at San Elijo. I've taught English classes there for the past four years and in that time I've had students who eventually transfered to Penn, Purdue, New York University, and Emory-Riddle, as well as many who have gone to the local schools (UCSD, USD, SDSU).

Many students use MiraCosta as a cheap way to get those early core courses out of the way before going to UCSD. And you can't believe how many Canadian kids I teach there, all of whom are looking to transfer with many of them targeting UCSD (and many succeeding in that endeavour).

As I said, I've taught classes there, but my primary teaching job is at the University of San Diego. For my low level literature classes, the reading lists are 95% the same. Certainly some MiraCosta students are of the Grade 13 variety and your child would be at the head of the class. But MiraCosta pays ridiculous money for a community college (a couple of years ago the average salary for a MiraCosta professor was something like $12,000 higher than the average salary for the second best paying community college IN THE COUNTRY). As such, you see a lot of moonlighters like me supplementing their incomes. Therefore you are getting USD, SDSU . . . and UCSD . . . professors teaching some of the classes at MiraCosta and the fulltime faculty has had a lot of competition to get their positions.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM

7,130 posts, read 18,131,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The problem is using Mesa as the community college. Go to MiraCosta College at San Elijo. I've taught English classes there for the past four years and in that time I've had students who eventually transfered to Penn, Purdue, New York University, and Emory-Riddle, as well as many who have gone to the local schools (UCSD, USD, SDSU).
The kid is already in GT... what possible course could she take at a JC that is worth her time? They don't just let anyone into GT... it is a top school. She's a junior, she is supposed to be taking high-level engineering classes... not some 200-level humanities class.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM

532 posts, read 733,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The kid is already in GT... what possible course could she take at a JC that is worth her time? They don't just let anyone into GT... it is a top school. She's a junior, she is supposed to be taking high-level engineering classes... not some 200-level humanities class.
It depends if she took all of her core classes in those first two years. Many students don't. Obviously she is not going to be getting engineering classes at a community college. And if the university can tell her what classes aren't going to transfer, it's much more cost effective to take those courses at the CC level than at UCSD.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
It depends if she took all of her core classes in those first two years. Many students don't. Obviously she is not going to be getting engineering classes at a community college. And if the university can tell her what classes aren't going to transfer, it's much more cost effective to take those courses at the CC level than at UCSD.
Looks like this is getting somewhere... yes GT is a tough school to get into. A neighbor's kid, Eagle Scout with a 3.87 GPA from one of the best high schools in GA was turned down flat - not even wait-listed.

This is why I worry like crazy about two things - her wasting her time (and our money), and possibly even worse, getting into a let-down type of funk that could screw up her chances of a place like Berkeley even further.

The key to all this seems to be knowing which courses UCSD (let's talk UCSD now and not Berkeley due to cost) will accept from her CV. Ideas would be most appreciated!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM

7,130 posts, read 18,131,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
The key to all this seems to be knowing which courses UCSD (let's talk UCSD now and not Berkeley due to cost) will accept from her CV. Ideas would be most appreciated!
As TristramShandy mentioned it depends on where she is with her studies. If she has already completed her lower division coursework then there is nothing of value for her in a JC. If she still has lower-division courses to take (i.e. 100,200-level english) she can take them at the JC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego