Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM

43 posts, read 249,152 times

Advertisements

Hi! im 19 year old and a student in San Luis Obispo. Im planning on transfering to SDSU or Mesa community college(to clear up a couple last lower division classes) and I have no idea where to live in the area.

1. I would like to be semi close to the colleges, (im used to commuteing for 45 minutes but would like to cut it down)

2. I'd like it to be near a bunch of stuff to do, although i have never lived in a city more than 40,000 population so maybe this question doesnt matter.

3. I'd like to be near the coast for the weather but i have a bout 700 a month to spend on rent.

4. i have heard alot about crime in the city and stories of being carjacked and stuff, so I'd like to know if its a problem in the areas I'd be living.

5. i grew up i a town with 2,000 people and just moved to san luis obispo which has 40,000 people and it feels kind of big. how much of a shock will san diego be?

6.And lastly I own firearms and would like to go shooting or maybe carry once i become 21, how does the culture their feel about firearms and stuff like that. Basically i know its a huge city with many people and cultures, but even so i know there is still a "culture" or way of living about the city or "vibe" and i'd like to know what that is.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
1. You could live right around either Mesa or SDSU if you want to be close, although this conflicts with #3. Mesa's about 4 miles-ish inland as the crow flies, and SDSU's about 6/8-ish. Lots of college aged folks in the SDSU area in particular. If you want the party scene, SDSU's your place. Even if you live at one school and have to commute to the other from time to time, the commute wouldn't be too long. Certainly less than 45 minutes.

2. Both Mesa and SDSU are pretty close in to the city, so you're a short drive to most anything.

3. 700 will work if you get a room mate around SDSU. Housing around SDSU, from my experience when I went there, is overpriced for the quality and area, because you have thousands looking for good proximity to the school. Clairemont, which is around Mesa College, will have better prices (still might need a room mate depending on the quality of place you're seeking), but will be mostly families and working people, with some Mesa students in the mix. Coming from SLO, if you're looking for that "college town" feel, you're best off next to SDSU. If you're dead set on proximity to the beach, most college aged folks tend to go to Pacific Beach. Again, 700 will be a room mate situation there too most likely, and it's party central also - almost an extension of the SDSU area.

4. Car and petty theft can really happen anywhere, and coming from a city of 40,000 to San Diego, it'll almost certainly be more prevalent to you. San Diego's a very safe city on the whole, especially for its size, if that's any help.

5. Probably a very big shock, then. The good news is San Diego's pretty folksy and many people have a small-town mentality when you meet them/came from a small town themselves, but the crowds, traffic, and aggressive driving will probably take some adjustment, as may the "get on the freeway to go anywhere, even 3 miles."

6. I know a lot of gun enthusiasts. Big military presence here, which means a lot of people that are comfortable with firearms that use them as well, and are wanting to go to the range and such on the weekends to keep their skills up. Should be fine.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 PM

thanks for the help! yeah im planning on rooming with people. i heard pacific beach was kinda the place where douche bags and not the funnest people go though. i heard ocean and mission beaches were alittle nicer but i dont know about the commute. Im used to aggressive driving, but when i go to big cities like san francisco evereytime i get some weird crazy yelling at me or some people for no reason, i guess thats just big city life. basically I like to party, but not everyday more like on the weekends or a few times a month.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
I don't think San Diego would be as much of a shock for someone coming from a small town as much as say LA or Frisco.
San Diego isn't very hectic, it's pretty laid back. It's mostly suburban in nature, except for a lot more to do.

I think there will be a lot more good differences than bad differences in your transition.
If you don't have to attend Mesa, I'd recommend living somewhere in La Mesa that is close to the trolley. The trolley is pretty extensive in San Diego, so you'll have access to a lot of cool places and SDSU.

As far as crime, I don't consider San Diego to be dangerous at all for a city it's size. It has a very low crime rate. Just be cautious, alert, lock your car up, and use common sense.
I don't know if you want to live to close to the coast since SDSU is in the eastern part of San Diego, but good news is, the 8 hardly ever has much traffic. To me, its a joy to drive in San Diego. It's never a mission taking the freeway to the beach(getting through the streets and finding parking in a place like PB is a different story though). From La Mesa or El Cajon, the beach is probably less than 30 minutes away.

There's lots of conservative types in San Diego(big military population), so I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a place to go shooting.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJM View Post
thanks for the help! yeah im planning on rooming with people. i heard pacific beach was kinda the place where douche bags and not the funnest people go though. i heard ocean and mission beaches were alittle nicer but i dont know about the commute. Im used to aggressive driving, but when i go to big cities like san francisco evereytime i get some weird crazy yelling at me or some people for no reason, i guess thats just big city life. basically I like to party, but not everyday more like on the weekends or a few times a month.
Elliott, you will be much better off commute wise and otherwise if you live close to campus.

Believe, from what I have heard about SDSU you will have no problems finding plenty of party life..
Nita

Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 98,229 times
Yeah the thing about SDSU is huge on traffic. Good luck getting to class from 3pm-6pm, unless you take the 8 east, even so.

Like the other poster said, live close to campus as possible.

There are some firing ranges east, just a 15-20 minute drive away from downtown. Crime is crime, just this morning I had my car stereo stolen. As you might have seen from my thread that is floating around.

All-in-all should be fine.

Good Luck.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 AM

Im going to be attending mesa first and then transfer to SDSU in fall of 2010, that seems so far away

Anyways im sorry to hear about your car stereo, and yeah it sounds like the consensus is stay near where you have to go often i.e. school.

I've been reading alot of other threads about san diego and mostly what i hear is bad stuff, but i know that people have more fun sayin bad stuff and complaining rather than saying good things (i do too ) but i was hoping you all could tell me some good things about the city or something that makes it sound not as depressing as some of the other threads?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM

14 posts, read 57,338 times
I went to Mesa for my first two years and enjoyed it. You can EASLIY find all inclusive rent/utilities across the street from SDSU for $600. I made a best friend by finding him on Craigslist and literally lived across the street - I walked to and from classes in 10 minutes.

Traffic isnt THAT insane around SDSU. As a matter of fact, Im still there for one more semester and it has never, ever taken me more than 10 minutes to find parking in any of the structures.

Check out Craigslists for rooms for rent and you will easily find something at reasonable rates. Search "SDSU", "ALLIED GARDENS", "DEL CERRO", "MISSION VALLEY" and you'll have lots to choose from. The beach is only about 10 minutes from the list I just mentioned.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGHIMSELF View Post
I went to Mesa for my first two years and enjoyed it. You can EASLIY find all inclusive rent/utilities across the street from SDSU for $600. I made a best friend by finding him on Craigslist and literally lived across the street - I walked to and from classes in 10 minutes.

Traffic isnt THAT insane around SDSU. As a matter of fact, Im still there for one more semester and it has never, ever taken me more than 10 minutes to find parking in any of the structures.

Check out Craigslists for rooms for rent and you will easily find something at reasonable rates. Search "SDSU", "ALLIED GARDENS", "DEL CERRO", "MISSION VALLEY" and you'll have lots to choose from. The beach is only about 10 minutes from the list I just mentioned.

Good luck.
the beach is 10 minutes from SDSU, wow, that is a new one..

Nita

Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the beach is 10 minutes from SDSU, wow, that is a new one..

Nita
It's actually not that far off. Last time I timed it it was 6 minutes from College ave to the 163 interchange and 12 minutes to the terminus of 8 at Sunset Cliffs Blvd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego