U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 PM

1,504 posts, read 3,557,874 times
Quote:
Would you post that for someone interested in living in North Park or Normal Heights too?
Certainly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM

7,101 posts, read 17,921,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Certainly.
Just got back from a walk around the 'hood.

City life is not for everyone and certainly not for every parent. That said at least for me, I prefer living here over our last place which was in a nice area of North Park, as it is relatively cleaner and quieter and less congested. There are a lot of kids here, on our block alone almost everyone has small children. Rolando is OK as long as the kids are little, but once they get a bit older we do plan to move on. If you are a city parent and you know what you are getting into, it's worth a look. The real problem with this area for us has not been crime, it is the SDSU kids, who can be a nightmare. Thankfully the city has been helpful in dealing with that.

Last edited by Sassberto; 03-20-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 7,224 times
Quote:
For now its way faster to take 94 (drive). You can do the trolley but it takes about 45 minutes and is a somewhat roundabout route. In a year or so they will have the mid-city express bus which is a straight shot down El Cajon boulevard with limited stops.
Thanks Sassberto. I'd prefer not to drive but 45 min by trolley is just too long. According to GoogleMaps it's only a 9 mile drive.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azexpat View Post
Thanks Sassberto. I'd prefer not to drive but 45 min by trolley is just too long. According to GoogleMaps it's only a 9 mile drive.
There is some westbound traffic but worst case it should take you 15 minutes.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
There is some westbound traffic but worst case it should take you 15 minutes.
Not bad but what about the parking downtown? I guess I need to factor that in.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not bad but what about the parking downtown? I guess I need to factor that in.
your employer should pay for that.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:53 AM

2,950 posts, read 6,538,694 times
And as Sassberto said in an earlier post, when the express bus is implemented, transit will become a viable option. The plan is to have a bus route with limited stops, a dedicated bus lane, and eventually even a magic button that will turn the street lights green for the bus.

And don't be too put out by the crime stats map. Once you factor out the major roadways that surround Rolando, you really aren't looking at that many incidences of crime.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
And don't be too put out by the crime stats map. Once you factor out the major roadways that surround Rolando, you really aren't looking at that many incidences of crime.
The crime map does not look that bad. I'm living in Sacramento right now and it has similar neighborhoods. There are pockets of safe neighborhoods that are adjacent to not-so great neighborhoods where major roadways separate the two.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
The crime map does not look that bad. I'm living in Sacramento right now and it has similar neighborhoods. There are pockets of safe neighborhoods that are adjacent to not-so great neighborhoods where major roadways separate the two.
The really bad neighborhood is more like 2 miles west in City Heights. The crime map reflects to two separate problems: the stuff on the main streets at night (robberies, prostitutes, drug dealing) and the college kids who are mostly to the north of El Cajon Boulevard. The SDSU kids generate a tremendous amount of calls to SDPD since most of the residents of this area tend to be older / retired conservative native San Diegans. Your main concerns will be break-ins of your vehicle and home, so good locks, alarms, etc. are a must.

Last edited by Sassberto; 03-21-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM

660 posts, read 710,742 times
Rolando Park is great. I've lived there for one year happily woking on making our house and yard just the way we want them to be. There are nice friendly people, with many long time residents. Some people do not keep up their yards at all. That would be my only complaint. Other than that, it's great. I feel perfectly safe and I am familiar with the ARJIS crime maps. The area pictured above is lots more than Rolando Village and Rolando Park. Also, Rolando Park is pretty free of crime on that map if you know what the boundaries are. Run the same report for Coronado and see what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego