Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:09 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,986 times

Advertisements

Actually North Park used to have a lot of blacks and hispanics that lived there, but the majority of them today have left or have been forced out because of gentrification which is lead by redevelopment. North Park has been ghetto for years, run down for the most part, up until the last 6 to 7 years when everything started to change, white folks (gays, hipsters) moved in and took over, cleaned up many run down sections so now I just see North Park as a more white area today, than say 10-15 years ago.

I wouldn't call North Park nice, it's a mixture of some good some bad.

Blacks in San Diego probably have it easier than Mexican people here, because of all the border drama, with drugs, crime and such, some Whites folks are fed up and tired of Mexican invasion and what it brings up into this country. Not all Whites, but some White people down here do look down on Hispanics, rather than embracing them. When you think of San Diego, you probably think of lot's of hispanics, that's not really the case. The majority of hispanics live down in South Bay and inner city San Diego, which is about it.

The conservatism of East County and it's residents is a good example. Most of the Whites that live there, are mainly older and very conservative. El Cajon, Lakeside, Alpine and Santee especially, they are all one big country town. Myself being Mexican, feel uncomfortable driving around in those area's, just because of some of the attitudes and backwards mentality of the people that live there.

You should be fine. I would even try La Mesa, it's a nice area, though La Mesa is mainly white, you still see different types of people around, which makes living there a little easier.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM

61 posts, read 192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Actually North Park used to have a lot of blacks and hispanics that lived there, but the majority of them today have left or have been forced out because of gentrification which is lead by redevelopment. North Park has been ghetto for years, run down for the most part, up until the last 6 to 7 years when everything started to change, white folks (gays, hipsters) moved in and took over, cleaned up many run down sections so now I just see North Park as a more white area today, than say 10-15 years ago.

I wouldn't call North Park nice, it's a mixture of some good some bad.

Blacks in San Diego probably have it easier than Mexican people here, because of all the border drama, with drugs, crime and such, some Whites folks are fed up and tired of Mexican invasion and what it brings up into this country. Not all Whites, but some White people down here do look down on Hispanics, rather than embracing them. When you think of San Diego, you probably think of lot's of hispanics, that's not really the case. The majority of hispanics live down in South Bay and inner city San Diego, which is about it.

The conservatism of East County and it's residents is a good example. Most of the Whites that live there, are mainly older and very conservative. El Cajon, Lakeside, Alpine and Santee especially, they are all one big country town. Myself being Mexican, feel uncomfortable driving around in those area's, just because of some of the attitudes and backwards mentality of the people that live there.

You should be fine. I would even try La Mesa, it's a nice area, though La Mesa is mainly white, you still see different types of people around, which makes living there a little easier.

I'm Mexican too, I feel you on driving around in Santee

North Park was nice years ago, it seems like just recently in this passed year its getting worse, especially off of Adams. Lots of drugs, but for the most part it is nice .

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM

What do you mean it was nice years ago? It was bad years ago, ever heard of Crip's bangin on 32 st? Actually they claimed North Park/City Heights for a long time, there enemies were Lincoln Bloods, and the rest of Southeast Diego.

North Park has gotten better, but it still has problems, I mean what do people expect, it's still the city.

I don't even think the Crips are around anymore. The high housing prices have forced them out in North Park.

Once the housing boom picks up again, there will be a another wave of gentrification that will force out more poor minorities, I guarantee you

Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
What do you mean it was nice years ago? It was bad years ago, ever heard of Crip's bangin on 32 st? Actually they claimed North Park/City Heights for a long time, there enemies were Lincoln Bloods, and the rest of Southeast Diego.

North Park has gotten better, but it still has problems, I mean what do people expect, it's still the city.

I don't even think the Crips are around anymore. The high housing prices have forced them out in North Park.

Once the housing boom picks up again, there will be a another wave of gentrification that will force out more poor minorities, I guarantee you
Ok where did you grow up?

The only Crips that banged 32nd street were "West Coast Crips"
They claimed Logan Heights.

No Crips ever claimed North Park.
Only Crips besides West Coast was "East **** Mob Crips" in City Heights 40th St & 44th St. Not North Park.
Also, 47th St in Chollas View.

Back then Lincoln Park was "Syndo Mob" they were south of Imperial 45th - Euclid. Down to Logan. Brims were west of Lincoln to 35th. Skyline was in Skyline.. Lomita (Mexican) was in Skyline as well. Shelltown(38th, Ocean View)

I grew up mainly in Logan, but all over the city.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Dang, so you live in Sherman? Is it still bad, or not really?

I remember when I was in High School, me and my friend ditch class, and went downtown. Well suddenly my friend says "Hold up, let's get off here", I like was what?? She wanted to visit a friend in Sherman,right off 32nd and Commercial. When we get to her friends house, some big ass essay's were standing in front of the house like body guards! It was a trip because we needed permission to go inside the house, I was scared I admit, t but yeah that neighborhood was pretty ghetto and dangerous when I was youngin.

I never knew Crips claimed Logan? I always thought it was Lincoln that did. I heard that Lomas always had beef with Eastside in City Heights, constantly fighting each other.

Didn't Bloods claim all of Ocean View? OTNC (Old Town National City) claimed Southcrest and all of NC? I get confused sometimes, I used to remember the history, but have forgotten a lot of it recently.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Dang, so you live in Sherman? Is it still bad, or not really?

I remember when I was in High School, me and my friend ditch class, and went downtown. Well suddenly my friend says "Hold up, let's get off here", I like was what?? She wanted to visit a friend in Sherman,right off 32nd and Commercial. When we get to her friends house, some big ass essay's were standing in front of the house like body guards! It was a trip because we needed permission to go inside the house, I was scared I admit, t but yeah that neighborhood was pretty ghetto and dangerous when I was youngin.

I never knew Crips claimed Logan? I always thought it was Lincoln that did. I heard that Lomas always had beef with Eastside in City Heights, constantly fighting each other.

Didn't Bloods claim all of Ocean View? OTNC (Old Town National City) claimed Southcrest and all of NC? I get confused sometimes, I used to remember the history, but have forgotten a lot of it recently.

Well im staying up in nor cal right now, oakland but yeah i have a place in sherman.

32nd & commercial is logan heights.
ocean view runs thru logan, shelltown, and lincoln.
from 25th to 49th
west of 35 th is logan and west of 43rd in shell east of that is blacks. (bloods) and west coast crips 32nd st. claim logan heights as well as the mexicans. otnc claims national city not san diego. and "southeast" would be like all of the ghetto east of downtown to 60s streets. cept for city heights is "eastside"

sherman is still a ****ed up neighborhood like logan

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,600 times
Did you ever move to the San Diego area? I am a single Black woman, RN and looking to possibly relocate there hopefully this Summer 2010. I work at the VA in Austin, TX and I would like to know since living in Texas if San Diego or the surrounding areas accept people for who they are instead of just looking at the color of their skin? My daughter and I have actually felt that way in Austin believe it or not, comments being made directly to my child at school. I know that Austin has approx 6-9 % black and that San Diego may have less but I just hope that their is not a strain to move there, I want to be accepted as a person if I locate there. I don't want to go from the "skillet to the frying pan". I want to move somewhere where race isn't a factor.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:28 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,752 times
Other then some pockets the area is pretty diverse and accepting of all people. Generally, the coastal areas more so then east county.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 PM

8 posts, read 21,732 times
One area you might consider moving to is El Cajon as it has a lot of blacks now. But, it is not a good area and also has a lot of mexicans and arabics but if your looking for cheap housing El Cajon would be a choice just dont go out at night

Old 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM

176 posts, read 634,873 times
I remember what a friend of mine said after she moved here for a year and then moved back to arkansas.
I asked, "Why would you leave beautiful, friendly san diego for arkansas?"
She said: "Because in Arkansas, at least people are upfront about their racism."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego