Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinUS View Post

My husband has his MFA in Fine Art and currently teaches art to K-8 graders. I'm in Marketing for trade publications and trade exhibitions. I would like to continue to work in the publishing field.
It will be very difficult. San Diego has no publishing industry to speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 09:15 AM

70 posts, read 249,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It will be very difficult. San Diego has no publishing industry to speak of.

Ugh! Maybe I'll start one then! Thanks, Sassberto.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM

181 posts, read 465,944 times
Hey, I just recently went to San Diego looking for a place to live. We checked out the Ocean Beach area (found a little tiny cottage for $900 with NO anemities, BUT 60 feet to the sand) checked out a few places in Mission Valley and then we went to North Park... we were SURE we wanted to be by the beach, even if we had to downgrade... But when we seen the apartment in North Park, we totally changed our minds!! We got a NICE One Bedroom/One Bath with W/D, Parking, and a beautiful stainless steel kitchen for $1095... It seems like it is a nice central location as well We are just off of 30th and Adams Avenue, plenty of little shops and dining near there and down on university.... also seems like it only takes 10-15 minutes to get anywhere in SD from North Park. I would definatley recomend the area to you!!!

The job market is definatley shady, and many have warned me and told me not to come, but I am an adventurer by nature and I love to take risks. My husband and I are in our Mid-Twenties with no kids... so we figured why not?!?!? Right when we got back to MN my job offered my a position out there too so we won't be moving totally blind. ...JUST A NOTE THOUGH... Hand out a ton of resumes when you are scouting the area... just to get your name out there, they may not call you back, but shake hands with as many possible employers as you can! Heck, the lady who rented us our apartment offered to help us find jobs (some friends own locale businesses) so if you are determined, just do it!!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
We are just off of 30th and Adams Avenue
Watch your back @ night @ this intersection.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM

70 posts, read 249,245 times
Quote:
Hey, I just recently went to San Diego looking for a place to live. We checked out the Ocean Beach area (found a little tiny cottage for $900 with NO anemities, BUT 60 feet to the sand) checked out a few places in Mission Valley and then we went to North Park... we were SURE we wanted to be by the beach, even if we had to downgrade... But when we seen the apartment in North Park, we totally changed our minds!! We got a NICE One Bedroom/One Bath with W/D, Parking, and a beautiful stainless steel kitchen for $1095... It seems like it is a nice central location as well We are just off of 30th and Adams Avenue, plenty of little shops and dining near there and down on university.... also seems like it only takes 10-15 minutes to get anywhere in SD from North Park. I would definatley recomend the area to you!!!

The job market is definatley shady, and many have warned me and told me not to come, but I am an adventurer by nature and I love to take risks. My husband and I are in our Mid-Twenties with no kids... so we figured why not?!?!? Right when we got back to MN my job offered my a position out there too so we won't be moving totally blind. ...JUST A NOTE THOUGH... Hand out a ton of resumes when you are scouting the area... just to get your name out there, they may not call you back, but shake hands with as many possible employers as you can! Heck, the lady who rented us our apartment offered to help us find jobs (some friends own locale businesses) so if you are determined, just do it!!!!
Good luck to you and your husband. It sounds like everything is falling into place for you. Yay! Me and my husband are also in our mid-twenties and have nothing holding us back (except work).

May I ask how you found your new apt? Did you use a broker? Craigs List? I think we might seek out a furnished apartment.

We're so excited to move, but have to wait until our lease is up in September. Can't wait!!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Watch your back @ night @ this intersection.
What's there to watch out for? There are some popular bars and restaurants in the vicinity, but they don't attract a dangerous crowd. I live near this area and there is nothing to be worried about, even late at night.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Good luck on your move and big ups for being an adventurer. It's certainly not something I could ever do! And congrats on your apartment find.

I live just east of 30th, off Adams and know this area very well. Feel free to ask anything when you get out here. You'll see that living less that 15 minutes away from the beach, instead of on it, isn't be bad at all.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 04-10-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
sdurb you know I am all about SD city but I wouldn't hang out on 30th and Adams late night long after the bars close. There are 2 bars there and gangsters like to rob drunks outside of there from time to time, of course you know a dude got shot by a robber late night over there a year or so ago. That is more common than you'd think. Stepping outside to smoke a cig is one thing but hanging out or walking a long way is another.

I went to Blind Lady last night around dusk and there were a number of sketchy dudes out, and of course many non-sketchy people too, that is just NH and for the most part it is harmless.

My little bro and his girlfriend are out from suburban NY and he is definitely hit by the diversity of people out here.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 PM

^^Perhaps I misunderstood Radical347's comment. I thought he was saying that you wouldn't want to be in that area once the sun goes down. I do agree that you wouldn't want to loiter in the streets much past 2:00am when the bars close, and I'd probably say the same thing about North Park, too.

I've closed Kadan before and maybe I'm oblivious, but I just don't feel threatened walking down the street. False sense of security, I guess.

Really? Shady at dusk in NH? Ever since Blind Lady opened, all I see are Bridge and Tunnel people ...

Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 AM

181 posts, read 465,944 times
Hey Guys, just made the trip here to San Diego, been here about a week already, and I LOVE IT. I know that North Park may not be real safe for me to go walking alone at night, so I obviously wouldn't do it. I definatley feel comfortable with my husband around, not that we will be out in the streets that late

I really do think I made the right choice in the nicer apartment over being ON the beach, I can go down hang out all day, but have a quiet place of my own with the anemities I need. (Artinus, I found my apartment I think on craigslist, although it might have been on the SignonSandiego.com website (their newspaper)

(SDurbanite) Is there any restaurants in the area you would reccomend??? I'm not a fan of the fast food like Carl Jrs and Jack N the box... I like taco surf in La Jolla and El Indio down in Little Italy (I think thats where it is...) Not a fan of Chinese/Asian foods although my husband is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego