Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1956 View Post
Goodmoring all,

I am looking into the Poway school district.But I'm finding housing a bit high for our budget.Can someone help and give me some information on other schools,with housing being a little cheaper.
If Poway is #1 what would be #2 and #3.
Thank you in advance.
Jennifer
Poway is probably the cheapest area that is in a "good school district" meaning there is no "bad schools". You could look at somewhere like Rancho Penasquitos or some parts of Rancho Bernardo as well (also in Poway USD). Otherwise it is more of a school-by-school decision as you get into less expensive areas. There are schools in SDUSD or Escondido that are fine, but there are also bad schools in those areas, you need to be more careful about which school you choose.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good points but I have been reading the OPS saga about trying to find a place where her family will feel comfortable and I believe she prefers an area that is totally liberal. Point Loma would not fit the bill. She wants her two children to be around other kids who come from very liberal families. Yes, UCSD neighborhoods would be close to what she in looking for, but UCSD is not nearly as liberal as some of the UC campuses (spelling?) Doesn't look right. OH well.

Nita
Why would anyone want to choose the area to live on the basis of it being liberal/conservative? Especially, why would anyone decline an area because it's not liberal ENOUGH? (Unless it's a gay couple with adopted kids, which would naturally experience friction in many places) It's not like you're going to be an outcast in your own neighborhood just because you have different views on taxation. Most likely you're going to be too busy to have time to talk to your neighbors at all. And it's good for your kids to be exposed to a wide range of opinions, at home and in school.

I consider myself liberal but I live in a conservative area. In my experience, conservative areas are generally safer and more well-kept. In most liberal areas of San Diego it's best not to be outside at night. As long as they don't try to teach intelligent design in our public school, I'm okay.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1956 View Post
Goodmoring all,

I am looking into the Poway school district.But I'm finding housing a bit high for our budget.Can someone help and give me some information on other schools,with housing being a little cheaper.
If Poway is #1 what would be #2 and #3.
Thank you in advance.
Jennifer

You did not specify if you're looking to buy or to rent.

If it's to buy, there are multiple houses for sale right now in 250-300K range in Poway ... they don't look like much but they are livable and schools are good. If you can't afford 300K, it's going to be hard for you to find a single-family house with good schools.

If you're going to rent, there are many options. You could rent an apartment in an area with good schools for 1000-1200 (1-bedroom) to 1500 (2-bedroom).

Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM

213 posts, read 744,885 times
Most of them are to the north along the coast up until you get to Oceanside. Areas like Encinitas, Carlsbad...etc

Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 PM

106 posts, read 643,355 times
Thanks Sassberto.And thank you Esmith143 and yes we are looking to buy.250-300 will work for us.
Once again thank you both for your help.
Jennifer

Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 AM

178 posts, read 601,974 times
Default liberal vs conservative areas

"Why would anyone want to choose the area to live on the basis of it being liberal/conservative? Especially, why would anyone decline an area because it's not liberal ENOUGH? (Unless it's a gay couple with adopted kids, which would naturally experience friction in many places) It's not like you're going to be an outcast in your own neighborhood just because you have different views on taxation. Most likely you're going to be too busy to have time to talk to your neighbors at all."

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

I have friends who are stuck in conservative neighborhoods and repeatedly had their Obama signs ripped out of their front lawns during the election. Political diversity is great but it feels a heck of a lot more comfortable to be surrounded by liberal, open minded people.

And "too busy to have time to talk to your neighbors"? How sad.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I have friends who are stuck in conservative neighborhoods and repeatedly had their Obama signs ripped out of their front lawns during the election.
Those signs serve no meaningful purpose anyway, all they do is inflame people.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM

110 posts, read 295,112 times
School Performance Maps

Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM

110 posts, read 295,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Those signs serve no meaningful purpose anyway, all they do is inflame people.

I guess inflaming people is not a meaningful purpose? Care for free speech much?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
I guess inflaming people is not a meaningful purpose? Care for free speech much?
just because you can ... does not mean you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego