Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 AM

7 posts, read 111,499 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Im from the Sacramento area and was visiting some friends in San Diego last weekend and they insisted we didn't need passes for the trolley because they never check, sure enough next stop the officers got on and wrote us tickets . They wouldnt tell us how mush theyd be, so im curious as to what to expect to pay

Thanks in advance,
Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:58 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Hmm, that's never happened to me before because I've always bought a ticket or else road the trolley when they have one of those free holidays (example save the air days).

This website: BetterTrolley. How to Ride the San Diego Trolley. (http://www.bettertrolley.com/howto.html - broken link)

Says that it is a $25 cititation if you are caught trying to ride the trolley without paying the fare. Honestly a day pass costs just $5 and it allows you to ride the trolley and bus system as much as you like for a whole 24 hours plus it gives you a discount if you want to ride AmTrak Coaster so there isn't really to many excuses for not buying a ticket.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM

Yeah I know we should have bought a ticket. Well I hope its only $25, I read somewhere thats it could be $250? is that true?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM

157 posts, read 644,877 times
fro what i'm reading they ain't got no police on the trolley.

ride for free as long as you can !

Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
My friend payed over $150 for a trolley citation, but that was years ago. So I'm not sure how much the cost will be today. I remember when he went to court, he said that if he had $20 in his pocket to give up, he wouldn't have to pay the huge fine, but since he was empty on cash, the judge said he had to pay the full amount.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
Ya mostly on weekends, but if there's a special event going on downtown or at the stadium, the trolley cops are everywhere.

You can ride for free at your own risk, but in time, you will get caught eventually, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM

157 posts, read 644,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Ya mostly on weekends, but if there's a special event going on downtown or at the stadium, the trolley cops are everywhere.

You can ride for free at your own risk, but in time, you will get caught eventually, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Yeah I was just funnin'

Pay the ride and avoid the slide.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
My friend payed over $150 for a trolley citation, but that was years ago. So I'm not sure how much the cost will be today. I remember when he went to court, he said that if he had $20 in his pocket to give up, he wouldn't have to pay the huge fine, but since he was empty on cash, the judge said he had to pay the full amount.
The thing is I dont live in the area and wont be back down until August. My court date is in May and it would be cheaper to just pay $150 fine then to fly back down to try and fight it.

I hope its not that much though.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman07 View Post
The thing is I dont live in the area and wont be back down until August. My court date is in May and it would be cheaper to just pay $150 fine then to fly back down to try and fight it.

I hope its not that much though.
Why fight it? You broke the law; pay the fine.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
Why fight it? You broke the law; pay the fine.
Im not saying I want to, or should fight it. I just stating that if I needed it too it wouldnt be worth the trip down there, thats all. I know I broke the law, and willing to pay for it. Im just curious as to how much the fine is going to be because the officer couldnt tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego