U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-04-2007, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 23,594 times
Default Do you homework first

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalondnm View Post
Under or about $1000 a month and 3 bedrooms or a house to rent or land contract would be great. From all the forum messages it seems that CA is so expensive to live in. I prefer to live in Southern CA but just need some suggestions. And if you listened to the news lately, MI is a state in my opinion that could possibly shut down. We are $1Billion in the hole and economists are recommending everyone move from here! That is sad. I've just always wanted to live in CA, if you ever lived where I live, it would seem like paradise compared to MI!
I recently relocated to So Cal from Indiana. My suggestion would be to really check out the job market and housing situation before you make the move. The pay scale is about the same as the midwest but the housing is astronimical! $1,000.00 per month will get you a one bedroom apartment in a not very good neighborhood. Also, a small 2 to 3 bedroom house with one bath that you could probably get for $100,000.00 where you are would be about $4 to $500,000.00 here.

I'm not saying don't follow your dream.....but it's not all it's cracked up to be. Like somebody else said before me....if you are not on the beach, or in the mountains if you prefer that, the quality of life is not as good for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-12-2008, 12:54 PM

211 posts, read 306,609 times
Default Relocating

Hello there,
I am from California and have lived here most of my life. I have left this state many times but because my family is here I alway come back.
Im retired now and finding it very difficult to live here. I have to live with
my daughter and cannot have a place of my own and that is why Im look-ing to move out again. This state is the highest taxed and property is extremely expensive for what you get.
You stated you could pay about 1000 dollars a month for rent , well unless
you were to live in a gang infested area you would not find 1000 dollar a month rents here. Its actually crazy here when it comes to what the people here have to pay. This whole state is the same , from the Northern
part to the Souther part, its all too expensive. It is over run with Foriegners and illegals and the state is in debt big time.
I would suggest to you to stay in the mid west and down size for awhile till the economy picks up again. If you move to a place like california you will only be depressed by what you cant have here.
Pennel

Quote:
My family and I are currently living in MI and if any of you have heard, MI is not the greatest place to live at the moment (economy extremely bad). We are looking to move to Southern California because my husband and I have always dreamed of moving there. Can anyone tell me where we would be able to rent a home for a reasonable price that is in a safe area and close to LA or San Diego or even a bit north of LA? Looking for the areas safe and not so expensive. I know there can't be rich people throughout the whole state. I'd appreciate the help!

Unread 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 4,711,395 times
You will need to be about 1 hr outside of LA or SD for that kind of price, and even so it may be hard to find.

Victorville, Palmdale both north of LA. Temecula, Murrieta both north of SD, maybe even further east also, which is more into the desert.

Unread 08-12-2008, 11:24 PM

462 posts, read 1,246,058 times
Quote:
And if you listened to the news lately, MI is a state in my opinion that could possibly shut down. We are $1Billion in the hole and economists are recommending everyone move from here! That is sad. I've just always wanted to live in CA, if you ever lived where I live, it would seem like paradise compared to MI!
We don't hear a lot about the MI economy here, but I grew up in the Detroit area and have been in SD for 17 years (I had your dream also). I have one sibling back there bound and determined to stay--"until things get better"--wish she'd do what you're thinking of doing--it is sad, and scary.

Housing was much cheaper when I moved here 17 years ago. Also, I decided to give up a house and a yard and instead lived in a condo as a trade-in for all the benefits of being in California. You mention a family, so a condo may not be practical for you.

Have you considered Arizona? It is very drivable to Calif. but with less expensive housing. Many Californians have moved there for that reason.

I don't blame you for wanting to leave MI with the way things are there now.
Good luck.

Last edited by jkoz; 08-13-2008 at 12:40 AM..

Unread 08-13-2008, 06:21 AM

470 posts, read 1,079,004 times
You can get a 3 bedroom dwelling in Bakersfield, but not very likely a single family house in a safe area. My husband recently rented a 3 bedroom duplex for $800.00. The economy is weak, and jobs are hard to find there.

Unread 08-13-2008, 10:35 PM

213 posts, read 436,620 times
There are places you can find like that it's just cheap and safe don't go together much around here. But it's still possible. Just listen to all the info you can get and research.

Don't worry you'll find something.

Unread 12-27-2008, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 18,624 times
Quote:
My family and I are currently living in MI and if any of you have heard, MI is not the greatest place to live at the moment (economy extremely bad). We are looking to move to Southern California because my husband and I have always dreamed of moving there. Can anyone tell me where we would be able to rent a home for a reasonable price that is in a safe area and close to LA or San Diego or even a bit north of LA? Looking for the areas safe and not so expensive. I know there can't be rich people throughout the whole state. I'd appreciate the help!

I would say move to an area in san deigo..it really is a beautiful area..
i live in la mesa sd now..
i tried living in l.a. an its very nice there to...but it does get pretty rowdy there..sometimes **** gets out of control there, i dont like that for my kids..it does really depend on what type of person you are..this is how i describe the 2 cities- L.A. is crazy fast way of living... S.D. is a my own slice of heaven...i also have lived in murrieta...i would not recommend moving to any Inland Empire/ Riverside areas...these areas are right between L.A. an S.D,...Those citys are nothin but a bunch of houses with people not doing anything so they just smoke meth...sun city=tweaker ville- murrieta & temucla are kind of legit its just that all the spoil ass rich kids are buying alot of drugs to because there is litreally NOTHING TO DO FOR kids...hemet sanberino moreno valley riverside=tweakers everywhere...also the inland Empire is 10% worse in unemployed workers the nation...so i hope that helped you out.

Unread 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 18,624 times
help you out

Unread 12-29-2008, 09:26 PM

370 posts, read 825,921 times
To the OP. I just moved here from NY and San Diego is cheaper than the city but it is nowhere near as cheap as what you are looking for in my experience. Maybe if the great depression hits, as they are predicting, it will be that cheap but if that happens we will all be out of work so it won't really matter. A coworker of mine just rented a nice 3 bedroom in near La Mesa. Is was 2600 per month. But it was quite nice. You could probably get something a bit less fancy but not in the price range you are looking for. Maybe for a bout 2k per month or around that price. Good luck but don't move here if you are looking for a job. Not to much hiring around here right now unless you work for the federal gov. Good luck.

Unread 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM

63 posts, read 182,667 times
Unfortunately, a lot of folks view California as a sort of promised land. They can't make it where they are, or are unhappy for some reason and think moving here will solve their problems. If you're not happy where you are, you won't be happy here. If you aren't financially successful where you are, why in the world do you think you would be here? Frankly, we really don't need people moving here who aren't prepared. From my perspective, (and lifelong experience) San Diego and environs is a tough place for folks who aren't particularly high achievers. There are plenty of high paying professional level jobs, but if you're not well educated (and motivated) and are hoping to make it here on $50-75k a year, it's not going to happen. If I was advising anyone with a family, I would strongly recommend at least the capacity to earn a MINIMUM of $100k / year. Otherwise, you'll be playing catch-up forever... To live what I would call well, you better be pulling in a good $180-250k / year and up. If I couldn't make at least $150k / year, we wouldn't live here. We would move somewhere we could afford the lifestyle we like.

Secret code: sure it's expensive here, but those who can afford it don't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego