U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 27,881 times
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this. I don't understand why anyone that has never lived in CA would move here, it is too expensive! Cali's are use to paying the higher price. A 1 bedroom Apt. goes for 1,000 and even if you can find something affordable you can't ever get ahead. Mostly the problem is you can't retire at a reasonable age in CA. And what about College or helping your kids out with a house. It never ends! Oh the weather is nice and lots of entertainment however the gas price is 4.00 per gallon so you better walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Status: "Spiders DO have feelings and a sense of humanity." (set 9 days ago)

7,882 posts, read 5,164,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
Kettlepot -

I live in North San Diego County at the moment. You will not find rent that cheap for that kind of property unless you are willing to live with bars on the windows and your finger on the trigger. our last apartment was 850sq ft 2bd and ran for 1700mo. It was the cheapest we could find in the areas we were willing to live in. You can definetly find cheaper than that but it is a very typical size to rent expectation. In our area a home like you are refering to would not go for less than 2500mo. Good luck to you though. You have to consider that by all rankings on housing costs all but 2 are in Southern California. Take a look at the list.
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 25 Pricey homes

LOL, Palmdale or Lancaster would be quite cheap....and quite scary and dangerous.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,149,722 times
Just came from AZ, that would be the best place for you. You can get a large, new, 3 br. home for 900 a month on the outskirts of the city in a safe neighborhood. You can come to the beach for vacation 2xs a year. That is what most CA who move over to AZ do. Check out Maricopa, Queen Creek, South Chandler, and some of the West Valley.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,394,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight227 View Post
I would say that if you are looking for something that large for 1000/month, you might want to consider Oregon or Washington where housing is cheaper. In my opinion, the point of living in california is being near the water and having the sun out most of the year. If you're going to be living inland you might as well try Arizona or the northern states, where you'll get more for your money and have a better quality of life.
Yeah AZ is a strange place though. The economy is in the tank, the education system is among the poorest in the nation, the political climate is hostile, it is too hot more often than not so that makes people crazy. The whole illegal immigration thing is volatile. The only good thing about it is housing is reasonable if u secure gainful employment. Bakersfield reminds me too much of AZ. If ur dream is Southern Cal I say look to make that happen. Good luck

Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,152,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsence View Post
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this. I don't understand why anyone that has never lived in CA would move here, it is too expensive! Cali's are use to paying the higher price. A 1 bedroom Apt. goes for 1,000 and even if you can find something affordable you can't ever get ahead. Mostly the problem is you can't retire at a reasonable age in CA. And what about College or helping your kids out with a house. It never ends! Oh the weather is nice and lots of entertainment however the gas price is 4.00 per gallon so you better walk.
What about those of us that live in Northern VA and DC with a cost of living that is on par / higher than San Diego? We know what its like to pay $1500 for a 500 sq. foot studio apartment.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

1,070 posts, read 946,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
What about those of us that live in Northern VA and DC with a cost of living that is on par / higher than San Diego? We know what its like to pay $1500 for a 500 sq. foot studio apartment.
You could definitely find a place like that or cheaper in SD County.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:13 PM

11 posts, read 40,833 times
I have been reading the forums for quite sometime. I am too thinking of moving to SD area for a year or so now but still searching and reading the forums. After reading all these not so positive conditions in California, it always ended up with this question for me. How in the World do people live there then? What do they do? They are probably more people there than any place else. Yes, they are a lot of rich people there and among them they are millions and millions of people working and living there and not in the barred windows. In all consideration, I would think that there are probably more jobs there than anywhere else. There are more companies, there are more businesses because there are more people. If you compare any typical cities in the US say to San diego, there are no comparison. So, that is the trick question. Every time I read about California, it seems to me that if I step out of my house for three too many steps, I would land on the gang lands. Which I don't believe so. Many people are capable and willing to work in all different fields and make things happen for them. Isn't that the point that everyone wants to move to California? You all did. If you step back and think a bit, gas is about $4 every where in the Country, food prices are ridiculous, most of the Cities in the US have no jobs and people are dying to get out. Is it better to move to let say San Diego or Phoenix, AZ? What is a quality of life if living with no jobs. OK, so $1000 per month will land me in the barred windows land so suggest that I have to be prepare to pay $1500 - $2000 a month, done. Tell me how beautiful it is to live there and you know it is and how much you love it because other wise you would be out of there long ago. The conditions are the same every where in the Country and It is hard for me to believe that California is really not a choice for anyone. I don't know if I explained myself or just too much Sun. Thank You for reading.

Last edited by blunotes; 03-15-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 AM

26 posts, read 59,370 times
Go to Craigslist under apt/ etc.. you will see.
Thing is, you don't know the names of the more dangerous places. Assume the lowest price is either a dangerous place or quite far from city life.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,149,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
Yeah AZ is a strange place though. The economy is in the tank, the education system is among the poorest in the nation, the political climate is hostile, it is too hot more often than not so that makes people crazy. The whole illegal immigration thing is volatile. The only good thing about it is housing is reasonable if u secure gainful employment. Bakersfield reminds me too much of AZ. If ur dream is Southern Cal I say look to make that happen. Good luck
Well, there's that stuff. lol All the reasons I left AZ, but, cheap housing abounds. ha ha ha

Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

80 posts, read 158,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgshfs View Post
I have been here all my life and although it has some great things about it everyday life here is not what television projects. You have serious over crowding, bankrupt state, high taxes, expensive everything, bad highways, major crime, serious traffic, horrible public schools and unless you are at the coast or in the mountains you have smog, smog and more smog. I know so many of my long term friends and co workers that have sold everything and moved out of state. They ALL love it. Oregon, Colorado, Washington, North Carolina and Costa Rica are the majority of the locations. The second my youngest graduates high school....(1 year left) we are doing the same. Can't wait!

BTW: Grew up in NPB and live in San Clemente......1.2 M dollar home and I still feel this way!

Tell you what, I'll trade houses with you, I live just 20 miles from downtown Raleigh in a really nice sub-division in the middle of no-where-ville. I grew up in So.Ca and moved to LI, NY at 19yrs old, I lived there for 20 yrs and my wife and I moved to NC 4yrs ago. Long Island is similar to So Ca, great education with forward thinking people, I can not say the same for NC. It feels like a foreign country to me living outside of Raleigh and I am dying to get back to SoCa. I don't think many people that grew up in CA realize what a special place CA is. It is very hard or down right impossible to duplicate what it is like living in CA someplace else, so please take my offer to trade! lol, oh and BTW my house is only worth about 200 though. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego