U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 323,568 times
Default Cheapest and Safest place to live in Southern CA????

My family and I are currently living in MI and if any of you have heard, MI is not the greatest place to live at the moment (economy extremely bad). We are looking to move to Southern California because my husband and I have always dreamed of moving there. Can anyone tell me where we would be able to rent a home for a reasonable price that is in a safe area and close to LA or San Diego or even a bit north of LA? Looking for the areas safe and not so expensive. I know there can't be rich people throughout the whole state. I'd appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM

74 posts, read 525,958 times
What do you consider reasonable? Like a range for what size house/apartment?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:05 PM

841 posts, read 4,593,861 times
Temecula, Murrieta, Sun City are some places that are fairly safe and reasonably priced for rentals.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,584,140 times
lalondnm, you think the economy is great here? Why do you want to move here? What is the dream?
What is not too expensive?
MBG

Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 AM

3 posts, read 323,568 times
Under or about $1000 a month and 3 bedrooms or a house to rent or land contract would be great. From all the forum messages it seems that CA is so expensive to live in. I prefer to live in Southern CA but just need some suggestions. And if you listened to the news lately, MI is a state in my opinion that could possibly shut down. We are $1Billion in the hole and economists are recommending everyone move from here! That is sad. I've just always wanted to live in CA, if you ever lived where I live, it would seem like paradise compared to MI!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 AM

841 posts, read 4,593,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalondnm View Post
Under or about $1000 a month and 3 bedrooms or a house to rent or land contract would be great. From all the forum messages it seems that CA is so expensive to live in. I prefer to live in Southern CA but just need some suggestions. And if you listened to the news lately, MI is a state in my opinion that could possibly shut down. We are $1Billion in the hole and economists are recommending everyone move from here! That is sad. I've just always wanted to live in CA, if you ever lived where I live, it would seem like paradise compared to MI!

Well San Diego is in the hole as well.
This is the quickest link I can find on the situation.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/2962585/detail.html (broken link)

Also, for $1,000 for a 3 bedroom, if you did find a place like that in Southern California you hit the jackpot!! You can't even get a place like that in the worst parts of Southern California.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:03 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,584,140 times
lalondnm, California is way in debt as well, close to $40 billion!!
You have to ask yourself, why you want to live here, what is the draw for you?
If it is a better financial situation, a place under $1000/mo maybe in Bakersfield... still I doubt it.
Even where I live 75 miles NE of LA you cannot find any rents under $1800/mo unless you are in gang/drug territory. I do not want to squelch a dream, but reality has to play a part.
MBG

Old 03-29-2007, 09:59 PM

107 posts, read 753,991 times
You might be able to find a 3/2 for that price in the high desert (Victorville, Hesperia, etc), but the economy there isn't great. We looked at some 4bdrms that were 1300/month and were nice. Many people think of poorly of that area, but IMO it isn't so bad; but it isn't really what people expect from SoCal, if that makes sense

Bakersfield, Fresno, and Stockton are also within your price range. I don't know anything about the first two, but I lived in Stockton for almost two years and overall, I liked it. There are good and bad areas, good and bad schools. There are jobs there, and it's an easy commute to Sacramento, I worked there when I lived in Stockton.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM

74 posts, read 525,958 times
I would say that if you are looking for something that large for 1000/month, you might want to consider Oregon or Washington where housing is cheaper. In my opinion, the point of living in california is being near the water and having the sun out most of the year. If you're going to be living inland you might as well try Arizona or the northern states, where you'll get more for your money and have a better quality of life.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:47 AM

107 posts, read 753,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrynight227 View Post
I would say that if you are looking for something that large for 1000/month, you might want to consider Oregon or Washington where housing is cheaper. In my opinion, the point of living in california is being near the water and having the sun out most of the year. If you're going to be living inland you might as well try Arizona or the northern states, where you'll get more for your money and have a better quality of life.
Yes, that's a good point. You can definitely get rentals for 1000 a month in many areas of AZ. Though, this state is a right-to-work state and salaries aren't that high, depending on your field. It's much warmer than MI, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego