Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:35 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times

Advertisements

Well, vfrpilot, one great thing is that the weather here's clear enough most of the time so you can do what your screen name says! When I'm up in northern CA, I have to file IFR about half of the year just to play it safe! I will gave San Diego that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 23,543 times
I thought I was crazy to want to leave. The people here aren't friendly, the weather is always the same, housing communities are cookie-cutter, the cost of living is high, you buy a 1500 sq. ft. house on a 4000 sq. ft. piece of property, there aren't enough neighborhood parks for kids to play/explore in, you have to drive to get to any parks, it's really hard to make lifelong friends - I've been here 20 years and haven't had one friendship even half as long. My better friends are back in IL where I grew up, with whom I still keep in touch.

No, you didn't ask a stupid question.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamabrau View Post
I thought I was crazy to want to leave. The people here aren't friendly, the weather is always the same, housing communities are cookie-cutter, the cost of living is high, you buy a 1500 sq. ft. house on a 4000 sq. ft. piece of property, there aren't enough neighborhood parks for kids to play/explore in, you have to drive to get to any parks, it's really hard to make lifelong friends - I've been here 20 years and haven't had one friendship even half as long. My better friends are back in IL where I grew up, with whom I still keep in touch.

No, you didn't ask a stupid question.
Definitely not a stupid question.

Kamabrau's complaints are much the same as mine.

Although we have made some fantastic, life-long friends here I do not get a "friendly people in SD" vibe. I can't put my finger on it but unless you seem to make a connection with people, they can't be bothered with you. In our old neighborhood in City Heights, NO ONE ever said hello to us. When we would reach out, I felt like we were annoying them so we finally gave up.

I'm almost afraid to move again someday in SD because I keep hearing that the friendliness in our neighborhood is so unique.

I think most planned communities across the US are cookie-cutter...most even uglier than what we have in SD.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
I agree. I don't think I've ever lived in a city with so much pride. It's pretty strange to me. I really like it here, and when I move away I'm sure I will miss it and visit often, but I don't really think this is a place where I'd like to live for the rest of my life... I think coastal north county is nice around Del Mar and Solana Beach, I could see myself owning a home there (but I'd most likely prefer southern OC as you guys before me said), but to live in San Diego inland areas doesn't seem any different to me than living in, say, Minneapolis with fairer weather. Just suburban communities.

just a question for jksouthbay88... what's your first most overrated city... you said SD was the second, so I'm just curious haha.
The first was St Louis.I was there for a week and it was ok.Nothing special but I've heard lots of positive and how fun it is.Maybe because I was 13 at the time.Yeah it's weird I'm a 19 year old teen who doesn't seem to like SD.I've pretty much done everything you need to do in the San Diego area.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
How could a San Diegan possibly hate it there? It's one of the best cities in America right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smu7070 View Post
Personally, I think southern Orange County is a much better place to live, with similar weather. One other thing: the crime rate of the San Diego area is higher then it should be.
I love it. The only thing lacking in So. OC is that you have to drive further to get to a true city life. That can also be a good thing! The greenery, perfect weather, rolling hills, economy, minimal traffic, friendly people, laid-back life, planning, safety, beaches, and cleanliness- it's kind of amazing when you compare it to the rest of the world!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
The weather is amazing. It's almost funny how you can take it for granted. In San Diego, you never 'think' about the weather, you simply live your life.

I live in Dallas now, which is moderate compared to the rest of the US, but you do have to 'think' about weather here, which kinda sucks when you've become accustomed to San Deigo.

As for the RE Prices there, they will continue to come down slowly. I also feel the salaries will get better, which will fuel another upturn in 5 years or so. Once that happens, San Diego will be utopia once again.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 PM

140 posts, read 606,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Definitely not a stupid question.

Kamabrau's complaints are much the same as mine.

Although we have made some fantastic, life-long friends here I do not get a "friendly people in SD" vibe. I can't put my finger on it but unless you seem to make a connection with people, they can't be bothered with you. In our old neighborhood in City Heights, NO ONE ever said hello to us. When we would reach out, I felt like we were annoying them so we finally gave up.

I'm almost afraid to move again someday in SD because I keep hearing that the friendliness in our neighborhood is so unique.

I think most planned communities across the US are cookie-cutter...most even uglier than what we have in SD.

You're so right...cookie-cutter and suburban sprawl do not make a community! I'm from Long Island, NY and it is no better. I'm wondering whether the first overrated [state?] that a poster spoke about could possibly be NY???? Highly overrated!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 52,377 times
Default San Diego is a wonderful place

I was born and raised in San Diego. It was the most wonderful place as a child and also as an adult to live. I lived there for 53 years before I had to leave due to a new marriage and my husbands changing jobs. Since leaving I've lived in Washington State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona....and we are now back in Colorado. It's very beautiful here and I really like it...but... still I've found no place as wonderful as my San Diego. So many things to do with fantastic weather to do it in. I miss the ocean , the mountains and the valley.
I still go back at least twice a year to San Diego for a visit. It's changed alot over the years. Gangs and crime have almost ruined a beautiful city. There are still areas that are like "the old days". A lot of people are moving out to the east end of the county. The city itself has become over grown and even though it is still beautiful...Old Town, Horton Plaza Gas Lamp area, La Jolla, Kensington, I could go on and on. The over load of people is just too much to keep the 'small town' feel. And its too bad because San Diego will always have my heart. I will keep going back to visit...still have friends and some family there ( my two daughters have moved out of the area one to Santa Cruz the other to Portland, OR). But everytime I go back to visit I see more people than I ever thought possible to live in one area.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 127,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Why does everybody living in San Diego think it is a great place to live?
Because it is a great place to live. Gee what a stupid question. (Sorry but I couldn't resist.)

Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 AM

24 posts, read 154,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Why does everybody living in San Diego think it is a great place to live?
Weather, The beaches and bay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego