U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

546 posts, read 1,403,983 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the great suggestions, looked up most of these places on yelp. Gonna check out least 5 or 6!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:51 AM

4,884 posts, read 4,816,428 times
Try going to Chow Hound to get some more dinning suggestions there.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
Dede's Convoy Street
I also like Dede's though about one to one and a half years ago the main chef at Dede's left and opened his own place in Mira Mesa named China Chef Szechuan. The menu is pretty much the same and the clientele is mostly Chinese immigrants. It's very good authentic food which hasn't been Americanized at all.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Yesterday I went to the dumpling inn and the xiao long bao (steamed soup dumplings) were excellent. This morning my girlfriend and I went to Aqui es Texcoco in Chula Vista where I got the menudo and one of their huitlacoche quesadillas. Huitlacoche is a type of fungus which grows on corn in the tropics of southern Mexico and it is considered a delicacy; the quesadillas are great using freshly made tortillas, several different types of Mexican cheeses, and generous amounts of huitlacoche. It was fantastic.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM

129 posts, read 312,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I also like Dede's though about one to one and a half years ago the main chef at Dede's left and opened his own place in Mira Mesa named China Chef Szechuan. The menu is pretty much the same and the clientele is mostly Chinese immigrants. It's very good authentic food which hasn't been Americanized at all.
I tried to do a search on Yelp for "China Chef Szechuan" but nothing comes up.

Are you sure that is the name?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 AM

It appears they changed their name. When they first opened they had a tarp sign hanging over the old China Chef 2 sign but they've taken the tarp sign down and just kept the old name. The owner and main chief did indeed used to be the head cook over at Dede's and the menu is very much like Dede's. I noticed they didn't have the cumin lamb from Dede's on the menu but the chef told he he knew exactly how to make it and made it for me exactly like was done at Dede's. The price was even the same. I still like Dede's but I end up going here more because it's a few blocks from my house and so is easier then driving to Convoy.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,741,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Chicken Pie Shop!
The San Diego Chicken Pie shop is a decent place to fill up with starchy food. I used to go there until one time when I went to the restroom there, some "guy" followed me in, grabbed me by the arm while I was at the urinal and asked me if I wanted to make some money. I have never been back and that "guy" was lucky he didn't go away in an ambulance. It took all I had to behave myself and not cause the police to be called. Other than that the meal was nice --- nice and starchy !

Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 PM

2,297 posts, read 4,014,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The San Diego Chicken Pie shop is a decent place to fill up with starchy food. I used to go there until one time when I went to the restroom there, some "guy" followed me in, grabbed me by the arm while I was at the urinal and asked me if I wanted to make some money. I have never been back and that "guy" was lucky he didn't go away in an ambulance. It took all I had to behave myself and not cause the police to be called. Other than that the meal was nice --- nice and starchy !
LOL, yikes! Is that the old location or the newer one? I know they've never been in a real nice spot, but they are a landmark! I guess the moral of the story is to use the restroom at home

Editing to add the old location was across from a gay bar, not sure if that was the issue! I never had problems there myself lol

Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM

157 posts, read 419,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
i'll take the chicken pot pie to go !!!

easy on the special sauce and hold the rosy palms.

and i wonts be usin the john !

Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 PM

157 posts, read 419,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
LOL, yikes! I guess the moral of the story is to use the restroom at home

Editing to add the old location was across from a gay bar, not sure if that was the issue! I never had problems there myself lol
if you be a female you have no probs there !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego