Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times

Advertisements

Is Pete's Meats a better source for home made sausages and central European style deli meats then The Sausage King? Granted The Sausage King doesn't cook anything and is just an old fashioned German butcher shop but that old German guy works magic with his wursts. To get more authentic wurst you have to go to Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM

129 posts, read 473,673 times
I doubt that Pete's meats is better than the Sausage King for home made sausages, etc.

My guess is that Pete's does not even make their own.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,464 times
Pete's does make its own sausages, and slices and pounds top sirloin for the steak sandwiches. I'll be there for a sandwich and people regularly walk in and order 2, 3, 4 pounds of sausage. But, they do not carry deli meats. Very limited menu ... just sandwiches: Steak, sausage, meatball, chicken, and combos. THAT'S IT! Nothing else except canned drinks.

But my oh my, the sandwiches with melted provolone and sauteed peppers and onions are something special.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,461 times
not so much a hole in the wall restaurant but a great place to pick up very tasty middle eastern food is

[url=http://www.balboamarket.com]Balboa Market[/url]

which I often drive out of the way for to pick up some food to go like lamb shanks with basmati rice (I'm not of middle eastern heritage but I'd imagine if I had a middle eastern grand mother, this is the type of traditional food she would cook).

"K Sandwiches" on 7604 Linda Vista Rd. has something many people don't normally associate with asian foods, and that is tasty french bread. Since viet nam was a french colony, there is a strong influence of french cooking, so what you'll find at this place is baguettes made daily, and if ya like fresh all ingredients in your sandwiches, this place is well worth a visit.

"porkeyland" how can ya go wrong with an eating establishment that only two locations in La Jolla and Logan Heights, the food is a cut way above the traditional corner taco shop (not that there is anything wrong with the typical corner taco shop).

[url=http://www.goporkyland.com/]GoPorkyLand[/url]

Growing up in SD I've been going to "Filippi's pizza" on india st. all my life (and way before it was fashionable to go to "upscale" little italy to get take out) BTW directly across from "Filippi's pizza" is a hole in the wall place where ya can pick up a tasty meat ball sandwiches, basically its just a walk up lunch place where lots of "old school" characters stop by.

For a great hamburger, I'd suggest Western Steak Burger, which is another family run place I've been going to for over 20 years...

Western Steak Burger - San Diego Entertainment Guide at SignOnSanDiego.com (http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/western-steak-burger/ - broken link)

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM

I've never really liked Porkyland (its just a run of the mill norteno taco shop with nothing special going on) but Kurt at Hmm-yoso has always liked K Sandwiches and Balboa Market. Filippi's is an interesting place, I like the type of cheese they use on their pizzas (it's very creamy and they use lots of it) but their doe is to thick and chewy for my tastes. I like that they are offering a different option for pizza buyers and like love that it is a long time locally owned family business but the world's greatest pie it is not. It's kind of a hybrid pie which isn't anything like New York or Chicago style nor is it anything like the haute cuisine of the California style but I'm not sure if I like it enough it enough to seek it out.

Of course, as my girlfriend says, I'm infuriatingly opinionated about food so your milage may vary.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM

129 posts, read 473,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I've never really liked Porkyland (its just a run of the mill norteno taco shop with nothing special going on) but Kurt at Hmm-yoso has always liked K Sandwiches and Balboa Market. Filippi's is an interesting place, I like the type of cheese they use on their pizzas (it's very creamy and they use lots of it) but their doe is to thick and chewy for my tastes. I like that they are offering a different option for pizza buyers and like love that it is a long time locally owned family business but the world's greatest pie it is not. It's kind of a hybrid pie which isn't anything like New York or Chicago style nor is it anything like the haute cuisine of the California style but I'm not sure if I like it enough it enough to seek it out.

Of course, as my girlfriend says, I'm infuriatingly opinionated about food so your milage may vary.
Its Kirk at http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com.

I used to be Buddha at the California Chowhound site and a lot of people spelled it Budda, Buddah, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 AM

Yeah, sorry. I screwed up his name. I'm over at Chowhound too (my name is Oerdin there as well) though these days I mostly lurk. I got so tired of people from San fran and New York constantly saying how even the farts smell better in those places.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaster View Post
not so much a hole in the wall restaurant but a great place to pick up very tasty middle eastern food is

Balboa Market

which I often drive out of the way for to pick up some food to go like lamb shanks with basmati rice (I'm not of middle eastern heritage but I'd imagine if I had a middle eastern grand mother, this is the type of traditional food she would cook).

"K Sandwiches" on 7604 Linda Vista Rd. has something many people don't normally associate with asian foods, and that is tasty french bread. Since viet nam was a french colony, there is a strong influence of french cooking, so what you'll find at this place is baguettes made daily, and if ya like fresh all ingredients in your sandwiches, this place is well worth a visit.

"porkeyland" how can ya go wrong with an eating establishment that only two locations in La Jolla and Logan Heights, the food is a cut way above the traditional corner taco shop (not that there is anything wrong with the typical corner taco shop).

GoPorkyLand

Growing up in SD I've been going to "Filippi's pizza" on india st. all my life (and way before it was fashionable to go to "upscale" little italy to get take out) BTW directly across from "Filippi's pizza" is a hole in the wall place where ya can pick up a tasty meat ball sandwiches, basically its just a walk up lunch place where lots of "old school" characters stop by.

For a great hamburger, I'd suggest Western Steak Burger, which is another family run place I've been going to for over 20 years...

Western Steak Burger - San Diego Entertainment Guide at SignOnSanDiego.com (http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/western-steak-burger/ - broken link)

Mmmm Fillippi's!! There's also a good pizza place in El Cajon called Marecharos, it's been there forever and the pizza is awesome! Also love the Grinder in El Cajon. Don't know if these places are still open since we've been gone since 2001.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbmx View Post
El Pollo Grill in Lemon Grove, best grilled chicken in town, cops love it
Etna's resterant on El Cajon Blvd by Hover high school, not the best neighborhood bot the pizza ia the best
Lido's in Lemon Grove, great thin crust pizza, service is slow always crowded, family owned been there since the fifties.
Oh Etna's and Lido's are my husband's faves! He's been going there since he was a kid.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:37 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaster View Post
Cool, another fan of K Sandwiches here, too! Love their banh mi's. There is place close to me called Baguette Express that is similar. You know it's good when you are the only one in there that isn't speaking Vietnamese. Can't beat the baguettes for $1 each!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego