U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,004 times
Default The UC schools

Our daughter has just started visiting colleges to attend from Fall 2010. She is looking at a Business degree and with that in mind, we have just visited UCLA, USC and UC Santa Barbara (Business Economics there). She liked USC and the feel of UCSB although the cost of USC may preclude her from attending that one. As a parent, I think she should be considering UC Berkeley but the choice has to be hers. She's a very bright girl. What do you think about UCSB - is it an up-and-coming university where students work hard and play hard? or does the reputation that Berkely (and UCLA) have suggest that if a student is lucky enough to be offered a place there, then they really should take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM

1,504 posts, read 3,552,728 times
Berkeley is one of the best public universities in the country. If she is lucky enough to get admitted there, it would be foolish to decline. It has a good business program, too. However, UCSB is also a good place to study.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,660,391 times
USC is expensive and not necissarially high ranked though they do offer just about every major out there. UCSB is well ranked and has a great feel since all the students live in one area (while UCSD is more of a commuter school with very little community feel) but a student must be careful not to get wrapped up in the parties and socializing (I went there for my undergrad). Berkley is a great school but is known mainly as a pressure cooker; you'll know if your student can take it or not.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
USC is expensive and not necissarially high ranked though they do offer just about every major out there. UCSB is well ranked and has a great feel since all the students live in one area (while UCSD is more of a commuter school with very little community feel) but a student must be careful not to get wrapped up in the parties and socializing (I went there for my undergrad). Berkley is a great school but is known mainly as a pressure cooker; you'll know if your student can take it or not.
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment that UCSD is a commuter school ... students are highly concentrated around the campus. But it is true that UCSD, UCLA, Berkeley are all in big megapolises, whereas UCSB is in the middle of nowhere.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,660,391 times
I never went to UCSD (I went to Santa Barbara instead) but several of my friends did go to UCSD and they all said it was pretty much a commuter school where people drive in for class and then drive out so you don't get the active campus life or opportunities to socialize with people in other departments like you do in a place like Santa Barbarba where everyone lives in the same place in a community which is almost entirely made up of fellow students. Could this have changed in the last 10 years? Sure, but I doubt it.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 AM

10,160 posts, read 13,181,717 times
UCSD is a commuter school imo. There is activity on campus as a lot of people do live on campus, but for the most part most undergrads either live in UTC, University City, or PB. A lot are concentrated in UTC but by no way does that community feel like a college town. PB is where you get the college experiance then drive to class in the morning or afternoon.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 PM

15 posts, read 35,162 times
I have friends at UCSB, UCB, and I went to UCSD. UCSD is one of the best UC schools... however, Berkley is amazing and if she gets in... take it! It's a great place. I've heard UCLA is in a pretty crappy neighborhood, even if the school itself is nice. And I've taken tours of USC for grad school and I can say the same thing of that. I would pick Berkely.

oh, and a little bit more about UCSB... it's midway between party and serious. It's not UCSC party status but it's reputation isn't as good as UCSD, UCLA, UCB or even UCI. just fyi.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 AM

349 posts, read 1,049,038 times
UCLA is in a crappy neighborhood? Isn't it situated between Bell Air and Brentwood?

Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
UCLA is in a crappy neighborhood? Isn't it situated between Bell Air and Brentwood?
Yep. Bel Air to the north, Beverly Hills to the east, Brentwood/Santa Monica to the west, 4 miles from the ocean. Almost as good as it gets out there.

USC, on the other hand, is in a crappy neighborhood indeed.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM

349 posts, read 1,049,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Yep. Bel Air to the north, Beverly Hills to the east, Brentwood/Santa Monica to the west, 4 miles from the ocean. Almost as good as it gets out there.

USC, on the other hand, is in a crappy neighborhood indeed.
That's what I thought, have driving by UCLA and the area was gorgeous! I couldn't believe it. Probably the nicest part of Los Angeles. Thanks for clearing that up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego