Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,723 times

Advertisements

My husband, 1yr old baby and I are looking to buy a house in SD. I'm a 3rd generation San Diego native but my family has always centered in the 92116 Normal Heights/ University Heights area. My husband and I lived in L. A. for a few years in an old mostly Hispanic neighborhood called Highland Park. Many peeps from the west-side of LA were freaked to go to Highland Park, but we loved it because of the old houses, parks, trees, diversity, and cute weird down town area. There we loads of gang bangers but really they didn't care about us, and we didn't get in their way.

Today in our home search for a multi-fam or single-fam home I re-discovered old Chula Vista. It was soooooo cute, clean, and felt totally safe. I'm not gonna kid myself- I know no-where is totally safe but relativley it felt like an area I could go for an evening stroll with my kid.
Am I totally delusional?? It was the area between 3rd and Hilltop and D St. to G St. Also, I really don't care for the new, just-add-water communities so I really don't care to hear about developments in east Chula Vista thx.
ALSO- I work in the Balboa Park area- is this a heinous commute at 8-9 am and 6-7pm??
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:56 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
The West part "Old school" Chula Vista is cool, like you, I don't like the all the newer made up, bland boring master "Just Add Water" (I like that one!) planned communities like Eastlake, so what if they got all the amenties, there's nothing unique about it, typical suburbia. We got enough of that **** in San Diego, those new expensive water wasting master planned homes, don't help with the affordable housing crisis SD has and will have until the end of time, some homes are in the 700K range that are totally not worth the asking price

Broadway can be pretty ghetto looking, but nothing like LA ghetto, or is it? But yeah, areas around the downtown Chula Vista is decent, some really old homes surround the place, honestly I was ever to move to a new location in SD, the old Chula Vista would be my choice, because of the many Hispanic people I feel more comfortable being around my own kind, and little old homes, it just feels more real, and not all fake, you know what I mean? Not to mention all the gazillion different types of small businesses that are everywhere, can't get that in Eastlake/Eastfake can you?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 AM

Eastfake, that's funny! I was looking at the crime map last night of CV and the crimes were pretty well distributed on both sides of the 805...interesting. Did you live in the area? Would you live on the other side of 3rd (west side)? Is there a street you would draw a line at?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The West part "Old school" Chula Vista is cool, like you, I don't like the all the newer made up, bland boring master "Just Add Water" (I like that one!) planned communities like Eastlake, so what if they got all the amenties, there's nothing unique about it, typical suburbia.
Except pedestrian (bike/walk) trails connecting the entire neighborhood to a myriad of parks and one or more town center/retail areas isn't really typical of American suburbia, is it? Isn't that one beef about American suburbia- you can't foot it or bike it anywhere? I know in my search for my top places to retire, I've been SPECIFICALLY looking for entire neighborhoods which have those trails and parks and retail, that are pedestrian friendly but not astronomically expensive for that metro area. And in my searches, those are few and far between. And CERTAINLY few and far between looking just in suburban areas. From the research I've done, a pedestrian oriented suburbia IS unique. Or are they a dime a dozen and everywhere you look in CA? Heck, I searched the SD area and all I could come up with were eastern Chula Vista, Santee, and 4S Ranch. Oops, scratch 4S Ranch since I said not astronomically expensive for the metro area. All I could come up with were eastern Chula Vista and Santee.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM

129 posts, read 473,497 times
Beautiful area.

Maybe the prettiest area in Chula Vista.

Not a big crime area by any means.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Never lived in CV, but I would like to

3rd ave is nice in certain spots, I think the further away you go from downtown the more "hood" it gets.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM

30 posts, read 87,822 times
"Am I totally delusional?? It was the area between 3rd and Hilltop and D St. to G St...."

No. You can even broaden your search to west of 2nd to L street.

Your area covers part of what is known as the Hilltop area, though generally it goes from about F street to about K or so, then you run into the Country Club area. Go over on Hilltop between F and H and check out the million dollar homes (though honestly there were more 3 years ago). There are even a couple gated communities tucked in there (Peppertree area).

This area is stable. It hasn't changed much in 40 years.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:06 PM

"You can even broaden your search to west of 2nd to L street."

Sorry, I meant east of 2nd.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the info especially from sdlife and elcaminoo... I just drove around to stalk the area at night (and to put the baby to sleep!) and it seemed great. Just hope we can find a place there!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Check out Center street between 1st and Hilltop, Roseview off Center, Montebello and Davidson off 1st, Minot and Alpine between E and H, Vista way, etc. F street and G street next to Hilltop, area between Hilltop and the freeway between F and H (though expensive). Good luck.

You'll see tract homes and older (literally) mansions built in the 1920's or earlier, and custom homes. Check the historic houses at the bend where Hilltop becomes F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego