Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM

105 posts, read 298,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegogolfer View Post
Care to elaborate on your unhappiness in Coronado Cays?

What will you find in Chula Vista that isn't in the Cays?
Young families. Diversity. Shopping. Not having to drive 10-15 miles for entertainment. Affordability.

Coronado is very old, very boring, and very sterile. Even their library is lackluster and understocked. The absolute best thing about Coronado is the weather--and while I will miss never having to crank up the air conditioner, it isn't worth what we pay to live here.

There just seems to be no cheer here. To be fair, the village seems to be more welcoming and family centric than the Cays.

I don't know. It just was not a good fit for us, and as a young black family, we stuck out like sore thumbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 PM

129 posts, read 473,497 times
I can see your points.

I think you will enjoy Chula Vista more given those parameters.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 PM

161 posts, read 573,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
Young families. Diversity. Shopping. Not having to drive 10-15 miles for entertainment. Affordability.

EXACTLY. Diversity is not something that Coronado has or will ever have. The shops are all small, trendy, and insanely overpriced (oh and did I mention trendy, lol). Nothing in Coronado is affordable, unless, of course, you are a spoiled rich white person who likes to splurge.

[/qoute]Coronado is very old, very boring, and very sterile. Even their library is lackluster and understocked. The absolute best thing about Coronado is the weather--and while I will miss never having to crank up the air conditioner, it isn't worth what we pay to live here.[/quote]

Very boring indeed. The only enterainment venue out here is the "playhouse" (that is what rich white people like call a theater). If you want to really have fun, you HAVE to go into the city. There is no way around it.

[/qoute]There just seems to be no cheer here. To be fair, the village seems to be more welcoming and family centric than the Cays.[/qoute]

The people here in Coronado are the "look at me and how much I have" types. They could care less about interacting with anyone that doesn't appear to have much money or anyone who doesn't want to have conversations about shallow subjects. Here it's all about being rich, blonde, and white, and I HATE THAT. Lately, I have been ignoring all of the stuck-up blondes out here and have had suprising reactions from some of the girls/women like saying stuff like this to their friends: "Oh my God, why wasn't he looking at me!" or "He didn't even notice me." However, the guys out here act the same way. They think that they are big-shots, when really they are nothing more than spoiled brats (just like the girls) who have only inherited money and never really earned any.

[/qoute]I don't know. It just was not a good fit for us, and as a young black family, we stuck out like sore thumbs.[/quote]

I feel the same way. Even as a white guy, I stick out like a sore thumb here, since I don't make a whole lot of money, and don't wear fancy name-brand clothing. Also, people out here do seem a little on the racy side. My best friend who lives in the city and goes to SDSU is black and when he came out to visit last month, almost everyone that he interacted with was very rude to him. He couldn't even ask for directions at one of the local coffee shops (claytons to be exact) without getting dirty looks from others and a bad attitude from the person that he was asking (a young pretty white girl btw). It filled me with almost blind rage to see the way the people were looking at him. Trust me when I say that I CAN'T WAIT to get the hell out of Conronado!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 PM

434 posts, read 987,966 times
I respect your POV as someone who lives day in day out nearby. It's not the place for an excitement-craving mid-20s single dude. But as a visitor a couple times a year, I don't pay any attention to that stuff - the 'tudes, the fashion, whatever. Maybe it's cuz I'm married and now have kids.

Last time we went, we parked near the south end of the Del. Walked on the beach on a sunnhy day, then introduced our youngsters to the place where we spent our wedding night. Admired the pool, the hallways, the lobby. Had some pricey cheesecake and coffee for dessert in the lounge. Then we left. And that drive to and from sure is purty. Wish I wasn't always the one driving.

We almost always walk around the beach or the ferry dropoff, but the city center itself does seem pedestrian-friendly to me. Been awhile, though.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
I' am a 24 year-old service member (Navy) who has been living in San Diego for five years now. I love it out here in San Diego (the laid-back atmosphere, overall friendlieness, great weather, dating scene, and recreational opportunities) and I plan to stay the rest of my life. However, there are some places that I can't stand or don't care to visit, such as Del Mar, and Mission Beach.
I can understand that Coronado may not be the zippiest place for a single someone in their 20s, but I'm a bit curious as to why a 24-year-old sailor can't stand Mission Beach?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 AM

17 posts, read 40,208 times
lol, this post just cracked me up! I don't really feel one way or the other about Coronado...I have a number of military friends so I eat lunch there and walk around on a semi-regular basis, buuuut i can see why it would get old. Ahh, give it time my dear, you will soon have your BAH and FREEDOM!...and if that comes in the next 2 weeks email me cuuuz I'm actually looking for a last roommate for my roommies and I to get a house, lol

GOOD LUCK!

jacmft@gmail.com

Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 AM

17 posts, read 40,208 times
also, if you want to see some awesome diversity (which this city has soooooo much to offer!) plus get involved in an awesome cause on your time off, check this out:

INVISIBLE CHILDREN PRESENTS [+] THE RESCUE

God Bless!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

EXACTLY. Diversity is not something that Coronado has or will ever have. The shops are all small, trendy, and insanely overpriced (oh and did I mention trendy, lol). Nothing in Coronado is affordable, unless, of course, you are a spoiled rich white person who likes to splurge.

[/qoute]Coronado is very old, very boring, and very sterile. Even their library is lackluster and understocked. The absolute best thing about Coronado is the weather--and while I will miss never having to crank up the air conditioner, it isn't worth what we pay to live here.

Very boring indeed. The only enterainment venue out here is the "playhouse" (that is what rich white people like call a theater). If you want to really have fun, you HAVE to go into the city. There is no way around it.

[/qoute]There just seems to be no cheer here. To be fair, the village seems to be more welcoming and family centric than the Cays.[/qoute]

The people here in Coronado are the "look at me and how much I have" types. They could care less about interacting with anyone that doesn't appear to have much money or anyone who doesn't want to have conversations about shallow subjects. Here it's all about being rich, blonde, and white, and I HATE THAT. Lately, I have been ignoring all of the stuck-up blondes out here and have had suprising reactions from some of the girls/women like saying stuff like this to their friends: "Oh my God, why wasn't he looking at me!" or "He didn't even notice me." However, the guys out here act the same way. They think that they are big-shots, when really they are nothing more than spoiled brats (just like the girls) who have only inherited money and never really earned any.

[/qoute]I don't know. It just was not a good fit for us, and as a young black family, we stuck out like sore thumbs.[/quote]

I feel the same way. Even as a white guy, I stick out like a sore thumb here, since I don't make a whole lot of money, and don't wear fancy name-brand clothing. Also, people out here do seem a little on the racy side. My best friend who lives in the city and goes to SDSU is black and when he came out to visit last month, almost everyone that he interacted with was very rude to him. He couldn't even ask for directions at one of the local coffee shops (claytons to be exact) without getting dirty looks from others and a bad attitude from the person that he was asking (a young pretty white girl btw). It filled me with almost blind rage to see the way the people were looking at him. Trust me when I say that I CAN'T WAIT to get the hell out of Conronado![/quote]
Everyone has a point of view and that is what these boards are about, but you are generalizing. Because it isn't for you, that does not mean it isn't for anyone. I think your problem lies more with being in an area where people have considerably more money then you have might be the problem.. I am a little surprised at the reaction your friend got, I am doubting you, but I do think maybe you over re-acted a little. I wasn't there so I don't know..

I can guarantee you, not only will you be happier when you get out off the island those who live there will probably be as well.

Nita

Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:

Lately, I have been ignoring all of the stuck-up blondes out here and have had suprising reactions from some of the girls/women like saying stuff like this to their friends: "Oh my God, why wasn't he looking at me!" or "He didn't even notice me."
Now THAT is funny! And sad.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:06 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I can understand that Coronado may not be the zippiest place for a single someone in their 20s, but I'm a bit curious as to why a 24-year-old sailor can't stand Mission Beach?
Ah-Ha - I think I know the answer to my own question - M.B. is full of more of those "stuck up" blondes maybe

I will say that I went to a craft fair held at a school in Coronado a few months back and definitely had a sense or a vibe that those attending somehow knew I was "not from the island" but I wouldn't say anyone was unfriendly or snooty. Even if they are snooty, who gives jack you-know-what--that's THEM, not me--maybe that just comes with age. That said, I think Coronado is a close-knit community, in the sense that O.B. is close-knit--this is the more affluent version. Regarding the ritzy shops, they are mainly geared for the wealthy tourists that visit--not the locals--thus the very pricey, "boutiquey" type couture, etc. I really don't see the residents walking around dressed like that. I'd venture to say that most residents shop off the island where everyone else shops for clothes, etc. And their Vons and Albertson's actually are not as upscale as most in other parts of town.

Last edited by jkoz; 04-16-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego