Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,693 times

Advertisements

I need to know if going to a community college in the accd is a better choice than attending another school in the state of texas? Also, i need to know the pros and cons on your behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcos beltran View Post
I need to know if going to a community college in the accd is a better choice than attending another school in the state of texas? Also, i need to know the pros and cons on your behalf.
A community college is a means to an end. You go there because you can't get into a 4-year school or because you want to save money on your lower division credentials. But there is no benefit to a JC otherwise, they are the lowest level academic experience you can get. If you have an option to do a real college, take it.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,223 times
Quote:
You're in the San Diego forum. Did you mean to post this in the San Antonio forum?

The community colleges are different in California than Texas.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:18 PM

322 posts, read 774,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
A community college is a means to an end. You go there because you can't get into a 4-year school or because you want to save money on your lower division credentials. But there is no benefit to a JC otherwise, they are the lowest level academic experience you can get. If you have an option to do a real college, take it.
Wow, I completely disagree with another post, how unusual of me

The ACCD colleges offer a vast array of technical, hands-on, training you will NEVER get at a 4-year university. From HVAC, to mechanical, to electrical, to Cisco (switches not frozen cheeseburgers) certifications and beyond. 4 year degrees tend to teach you theory and how to be the boss. JC's teach you how to actually do the work. Both have their pros & cons.

The bottom line is -- It's all about what you want to do in life. There are plenty, PLENTY, of jobs that you don't need a 4-year degree for. There are just as many that require it, for no more reasons than it looks good. Then there are other careers that require advanced degrees because, frankly, no one wants a JC graduate performing open heart surgery

Let me put it like this... my plumber, a guy our family has used for 20+ yrs, came over to fix a leaky faucet on my patio and was telling me about his skiing trip in the Alps. My wife and I each have bachelor's degrees, my wife is 1/3 through her masters degree, and we'll probably never do that!

Forgive me if I'm inferring this incorrectly, but your post seems to look down upon JCs. Personally, I think 99% of students should make an ACCD college their first stop after HS. It's an inexpensive way to get your toes wet in college. The exception being.. maybe... you're headed to an Ivy League, or close equivalent.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
Forgive me if I'm inferring this incorrectly, but your post seems to look down upon JCs. Personally, I think 99% of students should make an ACCD college their first stop after HS. It's an inexpensive way to get your toes wet in college. The exception being.. maybe... you're headed to an Ivy League, or close equivalent.
Not at all. If you want to be a plumber or work on cisco routers than they are the perfect program. If you want a job that requires a 4-year degree they are generally a waste of time.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
There is a difference between vo-tech and junior colleges. A good Vo-tech schools is worth it's weight in gold.

Junior colleges are a stepping stone to 4 year colleges. In the big scope of things, it only matters where you got your Bachelor's degree.

Unless you have unlimited funds, or have a shot at a full scholarship - find a good, inexpensive, local school and study like hell. Read above and beyond what they teach. And then spend your last few years at the best public school in your state.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 10,693 times
Thanks for the information everybody. However i'm Looking for in-depth data.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 PM

322 posts, read 774,813 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information everybody. However i'm Looking for in-depth data.
Pretend you're writing a term paper and do some research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego