Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM

54 posts, read 170,512 times

Advertisements

I am posting for my cousin (he hates message boards so he refuses to post here... ugh!). Anyways, he and his wife and 2 kids are almost certainly moving to San Diego and they're VERY interested in Carmel Valley. What is it like? Are there HOAs there? Quality of homes? Schools? Do people like it there? Average age of residents-- older,younger? yada-yada-yada....

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
It is a newer luxury tract home area. Schools are excellent through to high school and since it is at the intersection of several districts there is a lot of choice. Closer to 5 freeway is very high-density luxury condos. Farther down the 56 it is large luxury homes on small lots. South of 56 is mostly high-end custom homes. It is a somewhat charmless area with some traffic issues. There is no shopping district or central "town", just stripmalls.

Demographics are usually high-income professionals. Many asians in particular but a mix of middle-eastern, south asian and white. It is a younger area generally. A lot of luxury vehicles and Juicy Couture. The kids from TPHS and the other local high schools appear to have the same tendency towards hoodlum / hooker although they score really well on those standardized tests.

Personally I feel the area is overbuilt and overprived for what it is. The density is a particular issue - it is more dense than many of the older parts of San Diego. Proximity to Del Mar leads a lot of people to believe it is Del Mar. But it's not and never will be.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-27-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Is there an "elitist" mentality there, meaning a lot of folks stretching well beyond their means to get in there? Luxury cars, focus on brand names.... if this is in fact true one *could* argue there is a focus of "keeping up with the joneses." Is this the case? This mentality exists in parts of south Orange County and so I guess I'm wondering if the same applies to Carmel Valley. You say they think they're Del Mar, but they aren't and never will be. There are several new developments in south Orange County that think they are Laguna, but they never will be.... am I making sense? Just trying to get a feel for the resident vibe there as my cousin would NOT fit in in S. OC, so I'm wondering if he would fit in in Carmel Valley...?....

Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunshine View Post
Is there an "elitist" mentality there, meaning a lot of folks stretching well beyond their means to get in there? Luxury cars, focus on brand names.... if this is in fact true one *could* argue there is a focus of "keeping up with the joneses." Is this the case? This mentality exists in parts of south Orange County and so I guess I'm wondering if the same applies to Carmel Valley. You say they think they're Del Mar, but they aren't and never will be. There are several new developments in south Orange County that think they are Laguna, but they never will be.... am I making sense? Just trying to get a feel for the resident vibe there as my cousin would NOT fit in in S. OC, so I'm wondering if he would fit in in Carmel Valley...?....
If you could take Laguna Niguel and plop it in San Diego county... it would be Carmel Valley.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Okay, I understand that comparison completely. Thanks. That actually does help!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Are there HOA dues in Carmel Valley? About how much? Other than manicured landscaping, what do you get for those dues (assuming they have them)?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysunshine View Post
Are there HOA dues in Carmel Valley? About how much? Other than manicured landscaping, what do you get for those dues (assuming they have them)?
It's not one single area, it is a collection of developments with their own HOA fees. HOA's usually run in the 200-300 range and it can vary widely depending on the amenities you get.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If you could take Laguna Niguel and plop it in San Diego county... it would be Carmel Valley.
I had to plop myself in here. We moved to Del Mar last summer FROM Laguna Niguel. I did not like Carmel Valley at all but loved living in Laguna Niguel. I think the difference, for me, was proximity to shopping. Depending on where you live in LN, houses are not plopped on top of each other. We lived in an "older" home in LN and had a nice distance and privacy from our neighbors. Looking at houses in CV was daunting because most of the communities are newer and your neighbors are right on top of you. Everything (shopping and activity-wise) was at my finger tips in LN and that's not the case in Carmel Valley, besides Del Mar Highlands and Carmel Piazza. People in CV were much friendlier than LN but the same fake blinged out moms driving SUVs are in both locations. I have actually made some great friends who live in Carmel Valley who are very "normal"--living within their means driving regular cars or minivans. I think if you want easy access to the freeway, a quick commute to downtown and proximity to the beach, Carmel Valley is a great place to live. If none of these are a priority, then look east (Scripps Ranch, Poway, Rancho Bernardo). Friends of ours from Ladera Ranch recently moved to Scripps Ranch and are very happy there (they are living in a large home, paying less than CV prices).

Old 04-27-2009, 03:17 PM

My cousin had heard about Scripps Ranch too. I actually have a friend who lives there and LOVES it. I've told him about that area and he is looking there as well. Neither of us seemed to know much about Carmel Valley except that it is "nice" according to those he/I have spoken to. Knowing my cousin, the "keeping up with the joneses" mentality will NOT sit well with him. My friend who lives in Scripps says there isn't "too much of that." I suppose some of that is everywhere. But I have heard that Carmel Valley seems to have more of that "keeping up" lifestyle. Thanks for your feedback. Helpful as well

Old 04-27-2009, 09:37 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,932,516 times
What are you looking for? What's important to you and what is not important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego