U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2009, 11:47 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,944,801 times
Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

sandiegogolfer I love that! I remember hearing that before and it is so true.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM

2,892 posts, read 2,603,861 times
We're in Eastlake. I think that the economic collapse of the real estate market has impacted that area significantly. The over-extended have lost their homes. Homes are now reasonably priced, and loan criteria prevent people from buying more than they can afford. It is more economic, racially, and culturally diverse than it used to be.

The area may still have the illusion of planned community elitism - but eventually only the frugal will remain. All the newcomers brag about how cheap they got something and not how much money they spent.

I do wonder about what will happen to the high-end retailers at Otay Town Center as the tide continues to turn.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM

4,884 posts, read 4,662,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I would try Orange County or Northern California for a more laid back life-style.
Sorry but that's just out to lunch. OC is the most disgustingly plastic and fake place around bar none.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,944,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Sorry but that's just out to lunch. OC is the most disgustingly plastic and fake place around bar none.
Agreed! I can't drive fast enough through that county to escape the materialistic zombies.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM

291 posts, read 529,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I want to echo what loveautumn says.

I moved here from LI 15 years ago and still haven't completely adjusted. It is very PC here. Sarcasm and casual swearing are a big no-no. People are definitely friendlier in most day-to-day interactions which I appreciate. You won't hear horns honking here. Every time I go to LI I see a yenta freak out about waiting on a line in a supermarket. I hate that attitude and don't miss that aspect at all. When I go back and visit I realize that I no longer fit in there anymore either. Another thing I don't miss is the racial segregation and class warfare attitude (mostly a Long Island thing).

Where I came from in NY is mostly Catholic, Italian, and Jewish and I have found I identify more with Mexican-Americans (more focused on family, hard work, celebrating life) than the conservative, reserved, deeply Christian nature of many people here.

That said, I do wish people here were a little classier. A little more traveled, a little more cultured. Education levels here are just not the same. Many people have zero interest in the world around them, the history of their city, anything except for surfing, partying, clothes, cars, vacations, etc. San Diego is so nice that a lot of people kind of shut off the part of their brain that goes beyond enjoying sunshine. You will hear a lot of complaints when it rains - even though we are in the midst of a multi-year drought and it rarely rains anyway.

You can also see from this forum the disdain some people have towards anyone from anywhere or anything that is different or "better" than San Diego. There is definitely a mentality that San Diego is the best place in the world and it is not worth even considering that it might not be. A lot of people will say they "hate New Yorkers" and "transplant go home", but have never really been anywhere else either. Check your NY accent, culture, and attitude at the door, because no one will "get it". That is because in many ways San Diego is still a small town, with a certain level of insularity and small-mindedness that you will have to accept. That definitely gets old, but as I mentioned earlier it is pretty easy to steer clear of that.

The best word I can use to describe the attitude is "aloof". This is common in many western cities and is just a part of the 'live and let live' attitude of the west. Easterners are much more judgemental but tend to be more willing to open up and share their homes and lives with others. In NY you can get in an argument but in the end it's all family. In SD if you disagree with someone you are "mean". I wish I could take that family aspect but leave the endless ranting and crankiness.

I have a family of my own now, but can count the number of close friends I've made on one hand. This is not entirely a bad thing. We are thinking about moving on from San Diego simply because it is too expensive to live and culturally is just not one I want my little boy to become a part of. But it is an excellent place to be especially when you are young and single.
I totally agree, although I've never been to LI but I do think NY has several different cultures including LI, NYC, Western NY & Upstate NY and maybe some others. Can't really generalize NY's culture into one as much as no one can generalize the CA culture into one. It is unfair to discuss it in general terms. I'm glad you narrowed it down

I do agree with people in NY being more friendly and less uptight. I feel that San Diego doesn't really get the difference between friends and acquitances. I know a bunch of people in San Diego but only a few friends. In NY is almost the opposite. And that accounts a lot for your quality of life IMO. We also have a young family and the decision to close to family and in a place that has more culture was more important than the San Diego sunshine. Also, the cost of living is a killer and we wanted to go from 2 incomes to 1 (one of us could stay home with the kids while they are little) so the decision was really a no brainer.

I also feel that NY is way more family oriented (maybe sense of community is a better to describe it ). We are part of group of people that have very close ties to one another. One of our friends just had a second baby and we all took turns deliverying home-made meals to them for 2 weeks. We also spent time distracting the older child (now a toddler) so the mom could spend some 1:1 time with the newborn. It was nice to see eveyone coming together to help one another. I felt blessed to have such a support group around me. This is something I never experienced in San Diego, everyone is just too busy with their own little world.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:39 PM

428 posts, read 467,123 times
Quote:
I want to echo what loveautumn says.

I moved here from LI 15 years ago and still haven't completely adjusted. It is very PC here. Sarcasm and casual swearing are a big no-no. People are definitely friendlier in most day-to-day interactions which I appreciate. You won't hear horns honking here. Every time I go to LI I see a yenta freak out about waiting on a line in a supermarket. I hate that attitude and don't miss that aspect at all. When I go back and visit I realize that I no longer fit in there anymore either. Another thing I don't miss is the racial segregation and class warfare attitude (mostly a Long Island thing).

Where I came from in NY is mostly Catholic, Italian, and Jewish and I have found I identify more with Mexican-Americans (more focused on family, hard work, celebrating life) than the conservative, reserved, deeply Christian nature of many people here.

That said, I do wish people here were a little classier. A little more traveled, a little more cultured. Education levels here are just not the same. Many people have zero interest in the world around them, the history of their city, anything except for surfing, partying, clothes, cars, vacations, etc. San Diego is so nice that a lot of people kind of shut off the part of their brain that goes beyond enjoying sunshine. You will hear a lot of complaints when it rains - even though we are in the midst of a multi-year drought and it rarely rains anyway.

You can also see from this forum the disdain some people have towards anyone from anywhere or anything that is different or "better" than San Diego. There is definitely a mentality that San Diego is the best place in the world and it is not worth even considering that it might not be. A lot of people will say they "hate New Yorkers" and "transplant go home", but have never really been anywhere else either. Check your NY accent, culture, and attitude at the door, because no one will "get it". That is because in many ways San Diego is still a small town, with a certain level of insularity and small-mindedness that you will have to accept. That definitely gets old, but as I mentioned earlier it is pretty easy to steer clear of that.

The best word I can use to describe the attitude is "aloof". This is common in many western cities and is just a part of the 'live and let live' attitude of the west. Easterners are much more judgemental but tend to be more willing to open up and share their homes and lives with others. In NY you can get in an argument but in the end it's all family. In SD if you disagree with someone you are "mean". I wish I could take that family aspect but leave the endless ranting and crankiness.

I have a family of my own now, but can count the number of close friends I've made on one hand. This is not entirely a bad thing. We are thinking about moving on from San Diego simply because it is too expensive to live and culturally is just not one I want my little boy to become a part of. But it is an excellent place to be especially when you are young and single.
I thought we were an area of transplants. Who enforces these things (check your NY accent, culture, and attitude at the door)?

This is not necessarily directed at you, because your posts are always among those most well-reasoned and thoughtful, but City-Data forum folks sure fancy themselves as sociologists, don't they? We have little qualms about generalizations here (I'm talking about every forum). That's a key reason why I had to take a year break from here. I got tired of the OC vs SD, SoCal vs NorCal debates etc etc. ("I moved to Newport Coast, and it rules. I visited Prospect Street once. What a bunch of phonies down there!") Everybody has the scoop on an area's collective mentality and IQ and they want to debate those scoops over and over again.

OK, a little exaggeration in there, but I don't know whether to be amused or annoyed. I reckon a lot of people across this fine country think of their hometown and area as the best thing going. There are reasons for and against in each case.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM

17,177 posts, read 13,106,460 times
Wow, I guess I am lucky then as I know everyone on my block, for that matter for a few blocks around my place and everyone gets along great. We have a block party once a year and spend time with many that we consider good friends. The area is very diverse with every color represented like a big bowl of jelly beans. Some drive expensive cars and have expensive houses but you couldn't pick them out of the crowd at the block party.

I do notice that some are hell bent on wanting to look like they are someone. The ones that pick up their kids in the rimmed out SUV, always talking on the phone, won't make eye contact or say hi in passing. I'm ok with not knowing that type.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM

7,101 posts, read 17,915,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
I thought we were an area of transplants. Who enforces these things (check your NY accent, culture, and attitude at the door)?
Check the thread in main CA forum...
What do Cali people think of New Yorkers?

I was fired from a job once for being "too New York"... it was OB People's Food Co-Op ;-)

All I can say is that when I got here, I was very Long Island. Some people thought it was cute, but far more thought it was obnoxious. The funny thing is, I have only a moderate accent and NY manner, so by LI standards, I don't stand out at all as obnoxious.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post

I also feel that NY is way more family oriented (maybe sense of community is a better to describe it ). We are part of group of people that have very close ties to one another. One of our friends just had a second baby and we all took turns deliverying home-made meals to them for 2 weeks. We also spent time distracting the older child (now a toddler) so the mom could spend some 1:1 time with the newborn. It was nice to see eveyone coming together to help one another. I felt blessed to have such a support group around me. This is something I never experienced in San Diego, everyone is just too busy with their own little world.
Yep, everyone.

This has happened during several births within our circle of friends. It felt so great the first time we had a child when friends brought over care packages and pizza. Mom and dad brought home-cooked meals.

I've been thinking about ways to write this for a few minutes, but OS' post is another classic City-Data post of "my experience says everything about an area." No, it doesn't. Places have more than just one type of person, one type of family.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Check the thread in main CA forum...
What do Cali people think of New Yorkers?

I was fired from a job once for being "too New York"... it was OB People's Food Co-Op ;-)
I have the same thought when people complain about California drivers. "Wait, I thought everyone was from somewhere else? Lead by example already."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego