Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 52,581 times

Advertisements

I'm very heavily contemplating moving from NYC to SD for grad school, and then most likely settling in SD after. I'm a guy in his mid twenties who has lived in NY (Long Island) all his life other than 5 years in Delaware for school and a year working. After that, I moved to NYC for a new job, and have been here since (only about 8-9 months). NYC is great in its own ways, but after 20+ years of the NY fast paced life, insanely high cost of living, terrible winter weather and unfriendly people, I'm thinking I'm due for a change. All of my friends and family are split between NY and NJ, and I don't know anyone in SD. I figure being in grad school will offer me the opportunity to meet new people. I've never had a problem making friends in the past, so I figure I'd make out just as well in SoCal.

I've read a ton on SD, and it seems like an ideal place for a young guy to live who loves the warm weather and active lifestyle the climate lends itself to. I visited for almost a week last month, and in my few days, I'll admit I fell in love with SD. However, I'm not sure if it was SD, or the fact that it was a change from what I'm used to. I just am wondering what others think, especially if they've made a similar type move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,433,077 times
I grew up on LI too, moved to SD in 1995... still here. I do miss my family.. they are too far away! SD vs LI is apples and oranges. I still love LI, but my life and lifestyle is very CA these days... and I fear it may be permanent!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,544 times
Default Welcome

I made the move from LA about 1 year ago and have no regrets. It's a big enough city with that small town feel. It's getting bigger each day so you'd better come on out and mark your spot....I expect, like anywhere else along the California coast to see the same type of growth as we see up north from the OC and LA basin.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:04 AM

4,532 posts, read 12,378,476 times
The last place I lived before moving to San Diego was the NYC suburbs. I loved it here because you could see out to the distance while the canyons of Manhattan made me feel claustrophobic. 20 years later I still think San Diego is a great city, though I am starting to like the idea of seasons. Still, I don't see why you won't love it for 20 years also. And you'll be able to visit family when you need to see some snow.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,112,059 times
I left NY permanently after I graduated from college. Haven't looked back since. I was very much a New Yorker but fell into the CA lifestyle quite easily. I found that I did not miss the ferry or the subways or the express buses afterall.

Some of my native NY family were really appalled (and even hurt) that I never moved back but when they came out for my wedding in Santa Barbara one of them commented that he finally understood why I had never moved back.

As someone above stated, it would be like comparing apples and oranges. When I moved out to SB, I did not know anyone but my boss & his wife. I have made some life-long friends.

As for weather, I got to experience the 4 seasons because I traveled extensively for work. I've been off the road now for 2 yrs & can't say I miss the changes.

Now, when I visit NY, it's a bit of the "familiar" mixed with some new experiences. I really don't miss NYC but it's nice to go back home every once in a while.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:12 PM

140 posts, read 605,310 times
The cost of living and home prices in Santa Barbara about the same as NY?
Looking to relocate to a warm and sunny climate without going broke. NY is just way too much -- love it, but have to leave it!

Old 04-05-2007, 10:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,112,059 times
When I was last looking at houses about 3 yrs ago in SB, fixer-uppers of less than 1000sf of house on less than 4000sf of property were around 800k. I'm not sure what the avg prices are now but I thought that was pretty steep.

I rented a 700sf studio apartment in Montecito & paid $1400/month.

Hope that gives you an idea for comparison to NYC prices. I don't know if you're really going to save much by moving to SB. You'll most likely need a car in SB/CA whereas living in the city, you can pretty much do w/out. So, if you don't already have a car, figure in that expense (car payment, insurance, gas which is way over $3/gallon around San Diego).

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 79,756 times
Sampaguita, "Ferry, Subway, Express Bus" sounds like you lived in Staten Island. Is that correct?

I have always thought about moving to SD one day. Today it's 35 degrees here. We had flurries yesterday. It's freaking April!! I have a job opportunity to move out there, so I'm doing some research just in case.

How are the schools in San Diego? One thing that kept me away from Arizona is that people said the schools were terrible. NY as bad as it may be, has pretty good schools.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:43 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,433,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoWarm View Post
How are the schools in San Diego? One thing that kept me away from Arizona is that people said the schools were terrible. NY as bad as it may be, has pretty good schools.
They suck. There are maybe 5 high schools here that would be considered good by NY/LI/NJ/CT standards. You will pay a premium to live in those districts. But it's way better than LA, and probably a lot better than Arizona too.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:07 PM

13 posts, read 79,756 times
Thank you. There are 5 schools though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego