U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:12 PM

59 posts, read 526,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Penasquitos is fine.

I think what it has is a 'stigma' because it has always been the more blue collar area of North County inland, the affordable homes there are also older. There are a few areas that are marginal, but I would walk through anywhere in Penasquitos/Mira Mesa at 11pm on a Saturday and not worry a bit. Niether are that bad, but there is better in North County inland (RB, Carmel Mtn and the upper end parts of Poway).

Years ago, Penasquitos was the area that people from Mira Mesa went to once they were done with Mira Mesa. it was the burbs.

Here's the pros of Penasquitos:
-Black Mountain park. We have our kids B-Day parties there and it is spectacular. Seriously, it's like your on top of the world. The older homes around the park are nice as well.
-The 56/Ted Williams that just went through a few years ago connected Penasquitos to the Ocean/Del Mar. Your very close to the ocean in PQ.
-There are really nice new areas over there (Torrey Glen and Highlands) in the newer part that share the same Zip (92129) as the older Penasquitos - check those areas out and tell me what you think....the exit off the 56 you want to focus on is called 'Camino Del Sur'
-Penasquitos sits in an ideal spot, next to the Santa Luz - which is 1mill+ homes galore.
-Christmas card lane. That is one cool area come the holidays. Like 3 square miles of sophisticated Xmas decorations.
socketz, Good read and nice to have some positive information about the area. The San Diego bashing is getting old. Everyone knows that it's expensive in San Diego and the traffic is a little rough at times but crime, rude people and I hate it here comments are old and not the norm. If you don't like it here, move already. California is a pretty big state with a lot of choices....

Sorry, just venting. To add some educational info to socketz post, the PQ schools are in the Poway School District which is a very good district. Mt Carmel is a good High School and the teacher to student ratio is low since Westview opened. I know you kids are in elementary school and I'm not sure about those. My kids are going to Shoel Creek and Meadow Brook both good schools in the Carmel Mountain and Poway area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 07:18 PM

288 posts, read 863,810 times
Default North PQ resident chiming in...

My husband and I (no kids) have lived in the same house in Northern (older) part of PQ for 14 years and have been generally happy here. We chose the area because of the school district reputation (resale, you know) and because of its central location within the county. (Both my husband and I work for the county and have been transferred to various locations over the years.) We don't hear of much crime in our little pocket; mostly I think it is in the Southern part near Mira Mesa and around the high school. We shop in Carmel Mountain Ranch, Poway, and Escondido. All are within 12 miles. Poway is about 5 - 8 degrees warmer in the summer than here, which doesn't sound like much, except that our house does not have AC. Poway has some older, more modest housing in the central core, but the newer construction is MUCH more upscale (not unusual to see $1 million price tag) with gated communities and the like. And, yes, the city of Poway seems better managed than San Diego (San Diego sets a pretty low bar lately!). I hope that helps you.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM

7,127 posts, read 18,099,341 times
There is nothing wrong with PQ or poway. It's clean, suburban dullsville with sterile crackerbox housing and soccer moms galore. Personally I hate them both and can't stand every minute I have to spend there, but that's just me. I work in Poway BTW. PQ and Poway are both perfectly safe, clean, and decent areas.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-30-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 PM

3,001 posts, read 10,055,373 times
"It's clean, suburban dullsville with sterile crackerbox housing and soccer moms galore."

My favorite kind of places. Little to no crime to speak of, all the shopping you'd ever need, 10 mins from Del Mar/Beach, best schools in San Diego and other friendly boring people that watch your back and keep your hood a desirable place to live.

Yep, boring rocks.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-30-2007 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,143 times
I live in PQ and it isn't bad. The difference with Poway is that its a little warmer, but its ok to adjust. Westview is a good school and the 4x4 (or 3x3) schedule is nice to work with. The elementary and middle schools are good too. Mesa Verde is the best middle school compared to the other middle schools. I'm not sure on which is the best elementary school, but Park Village and Deer Canyon have been at the top as well.

Poway and PQ are similar. There are the nicer parts of Poway and PQ and the middle lower class parts of both.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 36,185 times
Default poway

i live in poway and i would recomend the upper part of poway.... that is if you have lotz of money to spend!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM

7 posts, read 36,185 times
Default poway

i would recomend the upper part of poway ... thats ofcourse if you got lotz of money to spend!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,552 times
My family and I have lived in PQ since '86! We moved here so that our daughter would be in the Poway School District. We have loved being here...Have nothing but good things to say. Since I-56, my commute time to downtown San Diego and La Jolla has been reduced at least 20-40%. I love it here...It can be at least 10 degrees less than Poway on very hot days; yet roughly an hour from Julian to catch some snow in the winter.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,979 times
Hi,
My Name is Liliya Sag. This is the best place for your money to live in. I move here 7 years ago for the school district and very, very happy. I don't know who can say anything bad about PQ. Because of the location, schools and security, prices here are not dropping like in other areas ans there is not to many home in foreclosures like in San Marcos, Oceanside, Mira Mesa and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverres View Post
Hi,
I am looking for help here. We are moving from Denver to San Diego this month and are looking to buy a home. I have two kids (2 and 5) and a good school district is important to us. Even though my husband works downtown we decided on Poway/Rancho Penasquitos because of the Poway school district. I read some posts here that said Penansquitos was a bad place to move but no reasons were given. Can anyone shed some light? Also is it much hotter here? Ideally we would love to live by the coast but cannot afford to as we need a good school district and do not want to spend more than 700k on a home. How bad will our commute be to downtown?
Appreciate any feedback. It is difficult to decide sitting so far away. Any other area recommendations?

Thanks.

Last edited by Sassberto; 07-13-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: realtor advert

Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,622,655 times
Rancho Penasquitos is fine but there are nice areas nearby so I agree with an earlier poster about renting first to get a feel for the area.

Poway is too conservative for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego