Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:31 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,592,723 times

Advertisements

I live in Pacific Beach and I like the beach, atmosphere, compactness, walkability, and central location with good access to all of San Diego. I know a lot of generalize and stereotype PB for all the craziness that goes on and all the douchebags and SoCal stereotypes that gravitate here, but its more than just that and not as one dimensional as people make it out to be. Plenty of professionals, families, and older people amongst all the college kids. I like living in a relatively vibrant area with things going on that keeps things interesting, whether good or bad. All the amateurs running around this place and acting stupid just cracks me up sometimes, yes it can be somewhat annoying but also funny. PB has plenty of negatives for many people not in college or the party scene but has plenty of positives that outweigh them too, for me at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 PM

132 posts, read 627,551 times
I love Encinitas and North County. Encinitas has stunning beaches, a great downtown, great schools and its safe. Cardiff is also neat, as is Olivenhain.....in their own ways. Rancho Santa Fe is of course beautiful, but is very, very expensive.

One of my new favorite areas is Bonsall. I love the tranquility and the rural feel. Some don't like the hot weather, but that's just an excuse to use A/C (which I didn't have growing up in Encinitas) and you don't get the June gloom/May grey crap.

Carlsbad is a little too built up for my tastes.

Del Mar is really great, love the trees, the houses and the VIEWS! La Jolla is nice also, but it's a little more crowded and a little pretentious.

One place I've never been is Point Loma. I will make it down there some day. It's very rare that I go south of Del Mar....mainly because there's no real reason to do so and the traffic can be awful. I want to explore more though and will go visit south county this summer.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:44 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,763,563 times
It's actually called South Bay

Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,873,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
It's very rare that I go south of Del Mar....mainly because there's no real reason to do so and the traffic can be awful. I want to explore more though and will go visit south county this summer.
Uh, the second largest city in the most populous state in the country exists south of Del Mar, and the traffic eases up a bit past La Jolla so you should expand your horizons a bit. Suburban and smaller beach towns of North County may have some nice qualities but there is a whole world of urban neighborhoods, street festivals, museums, concerts, plays and sporting events etc.. to discover once you get out of your insular comfort zone. Try it. I bet you'll like it. Its good to hear you are considering it

Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM

745 posts, read 1,566,808 times
Default What I love about where I live

[quote=happymomof4;8678406]I'm interested in finding out what you love about where you live. quote]

Over the years I have had 2 Poway homes, 1 Rancho Bernardo home, one San Marcos home and currently, after an absence from San Diego of 12 years, a Rolando Park home.
  • I love Rolando Park because it is down in San Diego instead of out in the burbs where all my other San Diego County homes were.
  • I love it because it is a quick jaunt to the beach.
  • I love it because it is affordable for a person relocating to San Diego from a less expensive city.
  • I love it because I will be able to afford living in my home after I retire in a few years.
  • I love it because it is peaceful and quiet while being right in the midst of the city. I do a lot of backyard birdwatching.
  • I love it because it has an active community group with a monthly newsletter and monthly meetings.
  • I love it because my neighbors are friendly and stop by to chat while I am working in my yard.
  • Of all my San Diego homes, I like this the best with the exception of the last Poway house I owned with my husband, which was a large custom home in an equestrian neighborhood. Can't say that wasn't gorgeous and peaceful, but that was my life married to a successful business exec and this is my life now as an aging woman responsible for myself.
  • I am happy and content in Rolando Park.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:46 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,561,800 times
Dictionary Hill in Spring Valley - - this February I could look to my left and see snow capped mountains, look to my right and see the ocean. The views are beautiful and the vibe is incredibly peaceful.

Given my druthers, I'd probably choose to live closer to the beach, but I work at USD, my wife works at Point Lloma, and we have a bunch of close friends who live in Point Lloma and Pacific Beach. We still are at the beach a lot. One day maybe we can afford something closer, but there is a lot to love about where I live now.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:09 PM

105 posts, read 298,146 times
I've been in San Diego for about a year now, and I have to say that my husband brought me here practically kicking and screaming. We were both born and raised in Los Angeles, but the military took us to Maryland for four years, and it really felt like home to me. It took me at least six months to adjust to San Diego, but I've found that I like it a LOT and am happy to be living here. It still isn't Maryland, but it is special and exciting in it's own way.

Some of the areas I love are probably poo-poo'd by most posters here, but I don't care. I really like Mira Mesa because of the diversity, restaurants, the Imax Theater (Harry Potter, woot!), and the proximity to Miramar Marine base. I have a good friend who lives in Oceanside, and I find that area to also have character and culture that I can relate to.
I also like parts of Imperial Beach, Point Loma, Old Town (love it), and Downtown. if I were young and childless, these are the areas I would probably seek out. I have a lot of military friends who live in the Murphy Canyon/Tierrasanta, but while it's nice, quiet and family friendly, it is not my cup of tea.

A few fellow military families decided to enter the housing market earlier this year, and they kind of stumbled into East Chula Vista. The first time I visited, the only thing I could think about was where was this place when we were looking to rent a home last summer? After researching and visiting the area several times a week (dragging my husband with me), we decided to move to Otay Ranch, and I'm so excited to get out there, I wish I could make time speed up.

We're going to have bookstores, restaurants, movie theaters, and a mall within walking distance. Other stores like Target, Lowes, other shopping centers will be a 2 minute car ride away. I will be able to walk or ride my beach cruiser with a purpose, and finally feel a part of a community.
Very exciting times right now.

This was longer than I intended, but it's nice to be genuinely happy about living in SD now. Good luck OP. One thing I've learned during my year here is that there is something for EVERYONE in SD, you might have to put in a little work into finding it though.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,847,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Uh, the second largest city in the most populous state in the country exists south of Del Mar, and the traffic eases up a bit past La Jolla so you should expand your horizons a bit. Suburban and smaller beach towns of North County may have some nice qualities but there is a whole world of urban neighborhoods, street festivals, museums, concerts, plays and sporting events etc.. to discover once you get out of your insular comfort zone. Try it. I bet you'll like it. Its good to hear you are considering it
It's funny because the exact same thing just reversed can be said about urban san diegans who think North county is nothing but cookie cutter houses and SUVs and soccer moms and keeping up with the Joneses! There is so much more going on up here than most people south of the 52 want to admit. We should have an exchange program. SDlife can come live in Encinitas for a week and I'll go to Chula Vista!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:46 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,873,272 times
I'm with ya. Some of North County is exactly the stereotypes we urbanites ascribe to it, and plenty is funky, beautiful and fun as hell. As others have noted there is something for everyone is this extraordinarily diverse place we call San Diego.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:06 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,727,173 times
What a great thread! It's been great reading about everyone's reason for liking their neighborhoods. Since this the perfect place to brag, it's time to rep mine - Kensington!

Things I love about my 'hood:

-Great housing stock (most homes built in the 1920's/1930's)
-Safe
-Walkable (Restaurants, a bar, bank, one of the last single screen theaters left in the area, coffeeshops, hair salons, a park, library among other things, are only 3 blocks away from me)
-Cool demographics (empty nesters, gay, straight, professionals, hipsters, east coast transplants, politically and enviromentally active)
-The weather (what May Gray/June Gloom?)
-Friendly/caring neighbors who talk to each other in the streets or on the front porch (I have keys to 4 of my neighbor's homes.... "just in case")
-Central location - Hillcrest, Normal Heights, University Heights, City Heights, North Park, South Park all within biking distance
-No chain businesses, except Starbucks

I'm sure there is more, but that's all for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego