Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times

Advertisements

Moving to San Diego doesn't necessarily mean you'll escape mold issues as evidenced by our friends. The wife has severe allergies to mold. They moved to LaJolla from Valencia (inland, warmer, drier). She was fine for about a year and then had a dramatic downturn. They moved back to Valencia after discovering that the house they had bought had serious mold issues. I don't know if that is something that is checked for during home inspection but it's definitely something to ask about.

They've since moved back & bought a mold-free condo in OB.

Awoz87 - My allergies (pollen) developed in NY and went dormant the first 4 yrs I lived in San Antonio. But they returned in full-force in my 5th yr there & were just terrible. I was miserable.

I moved to Buffalo for 15 months and didn't have much of a problem nor when I moved to Santa Barbara. However, because I traveled for work, I was constantly suffering from allergy symptoms. It seemed that I was always hitting every cities' "blooming season".

Phoenix was actually one of the worst places for me - I literally would land at the airport & start feeling headachey & my throat would start itching. It didn't matter what time of year. Locals tell me that allergies are bad there.

I've been in San Diego for 5 yrs and the last 2 have been bad for me. I have to take meds 2x a day plus use Nasonex or else my ears just close up & I get a hacking cough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,099 times
If nothing else, there are lots of evergreen things in San Diego so you aren't thinking about allergies. In Sacramento, once spring came and you'd see all the beautiful colors of blooming things in yellow and white, you'd just know that misery was coming soon... like in a few minutes.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 272,638 times
as far as pollens go it seems like sd wouldnt be too bad considering the lack of seasons.

but yea, i think it probably will be much better for me when i first move, when i visited i had no problems (except for my friends cat) but idk if i want to risk it and like drop down with my allergy shots (those that get them probably know what i mean). if i stopped and i was fine for a few years but then i needed them again it could turn out to be expensive, when u first start u go once a week for a loong time, then every other week and then every 2 weeks then finally once a month. so idk, ill have to figure that out

Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 27,792 times
Question pine pollen in S.D....

..my boyfriend and i moved here from the S.F. Bay Area in september 2006. i have always had pretty bad indoor *and* outdoor allergies, but i've never seen as much pollen as i've seen here! we have a balcony off of our apartment, and it has been absolutely covered in yellow pollen that seems to be falling from the pine trees in great drifts! has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? it started sometime in march, and it seems to be going strong; i cleaned off the chairs out there once, along with all of our plants, but the pollen came back so i learned my lesson!
does anyone know when this madness will cease? thanks so much if you have any info

Old 04-16-2007, 07:47 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
San Diego is pretty good for many people, but what are you allergic to, specifically? As in, specific trees, grasses, weeds, molds, etc.?

For mold, indoor mold can be a very real and serious issue here. Outdoor mold counts, though, range in the 2,000 per cubic meter range most of the year, they can go as high as 10,000, but you do not see the 40,000-60,000 readings of the Midwest.

Yes, yellow pollen has been more prevalent this year than in past years. I think much of it is pine (not a common allergen, but it can be one). Eucalyptus trees are mind-bogglingly common -- for me, I'm not allergic to them and I enjoy the menthol scent -- it actually clears my sinuses very well. Pepper trees are way too common as you get further from the coast, they are a very common allergen. Acacia trees are unique, but also can be an allergy issue. There are far more of all three of these trees in San Diego than the Los Angeles area. Yet each of these trees is far less common here than, say, oaks in parts of the NE and Midwest.

Mustard is a common weed allergen-- there's too much by my house right now. Still, there's no real allergy "season" here -- you'll feel sick one day and better the next. Kind of gives you hope all year round!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 AM

3 posts, read 27,792 times
Default allergy tests...

...i've never actually had one! so it's not official, but in my 27 years i've had allergic reactions to dust, mold, animals, grass, flowers, trees, laundry detergent, you name it! thank you so much for your reply; it does give me a little bit of hope.
i guess i'll just have my boyfriend clean off the porch in a couple of weeks- he, of course, has absolutely no allergies. not one. damn him! ;)
i will have to be on the lookout for indoor mold, though, thank you for that information. and has anyone noticed a strange, almost fungal smell coming from (i think) the carob trees? it is a very peculiar odor, and i've been trying to figure out where it comes from. i know it's not allergy-related, per se, but i would appreciate anyone's insight on the matter.
thank you all again in advance! :)

cheers,
``hm

Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM

34 posts, read 183,458 times
Hello:
As a person with long standing allergies (hayfever) it really doesn't matter where you move (unless its the desert) your body will find something to be allergic to, within two or three years. Usually allergies are caused by some trauma which causes the immune system to take a dive. It's hard to get that immune system back online again, as I have tried for the past 40 years. My husband and I were planning to retire to Coeurdalene, Idaho. several years ago, where my brother had retired. After several visits there in the spring my allergies erupted with a vengeance, last year, while visiting with my brother. He and his wife had moved there in 2004. His allergies had returned after a two year respite.

The main objective, is to find a place where you can survive with the minimum amount of time spent in the allergy state. I am a native of San Diego. As for myself I am allergic to Oak trees, Olive trees, Eucalyptus trees, hay and some grasses. Because of allergic reactions to antihistimines, (they create more histimines until my skin starts blistering) my only recourse is to confine myself to my house (I call it house arrest) until I can leave for the desert for the next 6 weeks. We plan to retire to a high desert somewhere where there is little vegetation.

Years ago I tried desensitizing shots as they had worked wonderfully for my husband. I should have known better. I couldn't even get past the first bottle without my arm swelling to twice its size and then having bronchial and sinus infections for months. Unfortunately at the time, I didn't realize that I was pregnant with twins. I miscarried one of them, but was able to carry the other to term, but he required surgical repairs as a toddler. This allergy thing can really be a pain in the butt, I'll tell you. In the spring I sometimes feel like "The Boy in the Bubble." I feel for anyone who suffers with allergies. It is a very big problem and very widespread and getting more so as time goes on.

The best to all of you seeking relief.
Catryna

Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 AM

34 posts, read 183,458 times
Hi Siilvergirl:
Catryna here. The pollen here in San Diego can be very bad. It's due to the prevelance of the Eucalyptus ann the Pine trees. Also in the back country there are a tremendous number of Oak trees. The pollen count is bad this spring. Even, those who have never had a problem before are now suffering. Like I said in a previous post, if you are allergy prone there really is no escape except the desert. Your body will find something to be allergic to no matter where you go. Sorry for the dismall info, but it's the unfortunate fact.
Trauma, pollution, low immune system have a lot to do with it.
Catryna

Old 04-17-2007, 08:12 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
For anyone interested in pollen counts, check out http://www.aaaai.org/nab/index.cfm?p=pollen -- they have pollen counts from around the US and Canada. You can also go in and see graphs of past months -- I find this very helpful!

www.pollen.com is a site that forecasts pollen levels.

These are very useful in considering relocation. For me, I find the upper Midwest awful for allergies, the West Coast is good, the Northeast is surprisingly good. The South is not as bad as the Midwest, but worse than the coasts. But it varies for everyone.

The worst pollen in San Diego still seems good by Minneapolis-St. Paul standards, when you could see clouds of pollen in the air!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:42 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
I'd be really interested in hearing about how people with mold allergies have fared in San Diego. I have been looking at desert locations and I wonder if San Diego could really have as little mold as those areas apparently due, given SD's comparatively higher humidity.

(Actually, the mold counts given above are useful and looker higher than what I'd prefer.)

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 05-25-2007 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego