U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:17 PM

943 posts, read 10,404 times
Default Move to SD to escape allergies

Wonder if anyone that has moved to SD or that region has found living there has helped with allergies. I am especially interested in hearing from people from the Pacific Northwest that have allergies to mold, and like me they become chronic infections that meds eventually don't work. Eventually the doctor tells us that the wet moldy northwest does not agree with us and we would be doing ourselves a favor to live in a warmer dryer climate not necessarily Arizona, no longer a good choice Im told. Would like anyones input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:23 PM

2,915 posts, read 6,320,993 times
I found that my allergy situation was far better here in San Diego than anywhere esle that I've lived - the northeast and northern California - however, I 've never lived in the Northwest. Still the situation here isn't perfect. Like you, I would regularly develop infections, but unlike you, my triggers weren't molds.

It won't help your allergic reactions, but nasal surgery to improve your drainage might help prevent the infections.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:47 PM

Thank you, yes surgeries were mentioned, relocating out of here has been mentioned even more, San Diego was mentioned, Phoenix has lost its reputations for allergy sufferers. I have diabetes so I need to make a decision, since chronic infections make managing diabetes very diffcult. I think San Diego with its ocean brezze and warm climates less mold problem than this wet place up here, might be of benefit. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:49 PM

29 posts, read 153,423 times
hmm im interested in this also. im allergic to all kinds of ****, not mold tho. dust, all kinds of pollens, cats ect.

i live in buffalo now and get allegry shots here once a month. anyone have any info on this out there??

Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 AM

841 posts, read 4,464,167 times
I am currently living in Oregon and when I moved from SD I didn't have any alergies that I was aware of until I walked up the side of a mountain here in Oregon. It caught me by surprise.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 PM

25 posts, read 82,466 times
Default Oregon allergies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Wonder if anyone that has moved to SD or that region has found living there has helped with allergies. I am especially interested in hearing from people from the Pacific Northwest that have allergies to mold, and like me they become chronic infections that meds eventually don't work. Eventually the doctor tells us that the wet moldy northwest does not agree with us and we would be doing ourselves a favor to live in a warmer dryer climate not necessarily Arizona, no longer a good choice Im told. Would like anyones input.

Hate to say it, but I live in NW Oregon and a lot of people have allergy problems to mold and many other things. Mold allergies are almost impossible to escape out here because it simply is so wet so much. I once heard that the native americans who lived here described the NW Oregon valleys (Portland, Salem, Eugene, Medford) as the "valley of sickness" because of severe alleriges that people experienced. Don't know if that story was true, but I would believe it.

Just a little side question unrelated to location: Years ago, I cut dairy out of my life almost completely and my allergy problems decreased dramatically. Just FYI!

Good luck!!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the replies, Yes I have also heard that the Willamette Valley is the Valley of Sickness, it would make sense. My doctor has mentioned it to me, he said he has no shortage of patients with allergies to mold the predominant one and several other allergens here. He recommended San Diego that the ocean breeze and the drier climate would make me less prone to all the infections I get here. I am considering the move, well if I can afford San Diego that is.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 PM

810 posts, read 2,602,995 times
My allergies are far better in San Diego as well, but still not 100 percent gone. Of course, I'm from Sacramento, which is king of allergies, so anything is better than Sacramento, allergy-wise. There's a saying there, "If you live here long enough, you WILL find something you're allergic to".

They aren't kidding.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:37 AM

2,915 posts, read 6,320,993 times
Angry Sacra-hell-hole

I was waiting for someone in the Sacramento airport once during allergy season. I ended up rubbing my eye so much, I developed a blister on the cornea. I could barely get my eyelid to slide over my eyeball!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 AM

yeah Sacramento is way up on the list of allergy places. Maybe its due to agriculture in the area, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego