Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times

Advertisements

In two years my wife will be finishing her residency and we will pick a place to live. I love Chicago, been there since I graduated college. Know the ins and outs, what to do, where to go, love the lake.

But the idea of san diego is growing on me. Nice weather all year round. But it's no Chicago. Are there latin gang problems in west SD? Any comments? ANyone out there live in both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
San Diego has been rated one of the safest cities in the United States, and its crime rate continues to drop every year despite the bad economy, and despite its proximity to the border. The only trouble spots are neighborhoods in Southeast SD, but even those areas have cleaned up compared to even just 5 years ago. They are no where near as bad as the rough parts of Chicago. I have driven through neighborhoods such as City Heights and Logan Heights at nighttime, back in 2002/03, and I had little worry about anything happening. I wouldn't feel as comfortable driving through the bad neighborhoods of other cities such as Atlanta, Detroit, or Chicago, or even L.A.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM

57 posts, read 202,920 times
As always, it depends very much on the individual. I have been in Chicago now for 7 years, and I struggle to find anything nice about the place. Also, it is in the middle of the midwest............BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!!
But that is because it does not suit my lifestyle, while SD and the southern California environment absolutely does.

If you enjoy the outdoors, SD is the hands down winner. If you are a city dweller and you do not mind spending half of each year indoors, or traveling long distances to participate in a variety of outdoor activities, then maybe Chicago is for you.

To me it is a lifestyle choice more than it is a pure location choice.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM

250 posts, read 911,020 times
Depends on what you like. I agree with the lifestyle comment. I grew up in milwaukee and chicago was a place we visited ALL the time. I love chicago, lots to do, pretty city in the summer especially. I didn't think any other city could touch the midwest. I was very apprehensive to move after college. I will NEVER go back. EVER. San diego is fantastic. It is significantly safer than chicago or milwaukee. ALOT. There are gangs in every city I suppose but I can tell you that I never really saw much issue with any violence at all. I know one of the first things that I was aware of within a week of moving to so cal was I didn't hear about a daily murder on the news each night.
You are both obviously college (and beyond) educated you'll find san diego fabulous, I believe its one of the most educated cities in america and you can tell.
You know this already probably but the weather cannot be beat. If you like the outdoors at all, SD has a ton of fun things to do and see and it is great weather all year round.
My sister in law is from chicago and wants to retire in san diego too (her husband is in the navy). Its hard to leave once you've been here.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:29 PM
PCK

12 posts, read 42,431 times
I have almost the same dilemma--I currently live in Madison WI and my husband and I are strongly considering moving to San Diego next summer. My husband is from the D.C. area and I am a native Wisconsinite. I have always HATED winter with a passion. I am not into any winter sports at all so basically I am on house arrest/hate going outside for 5 months out of the year. We went out and visited San Diego a couple of months ago and we LOVED it. I just think it would be so great to go out and walk your dog anytime you want, the beautiful scenery, just a more carefree lifestyle (no more having to change plans due to bad weather, etc). I am really anxious about leaving Wisconsin because my family is here, although I live 5 hours away from them right now, its nice knowing I can get into the car and visit whenever I want and not have to fly. Has anyone else had experience with moving far away from their family (like across the country) and how often do you see them?

Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 PM

We can't wait to get back to an educated populous. Where we are now, we ask about a good Mexican resturant and they send us to Chipolte (I'm serious). They think Kenny G is Jazz.

So, it's a major city for us.

When we lived in Chicago I was about 3 blocks from the beach in about 2.400 sq ft.
Can we still do that in San Diego for under $1 mill?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 PM

57 posts, read 202,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK View Post
Has anyone else had experience with moving far away from their family (like across the country) and how often do you see them?
Yes. Try moving to another continent in another hemisphere, at least 30hrs door to door by air, for around $1,300 if you're lucky It's not easy.
From SD you would be a 4.5hr plane ride away. It's not that bad. You're 5 hrs by car now.
I hear what you are saying about being trapped in winters. It sucks big time. Even if you are into winter sports like I am, there is no real snowboarding or skiing area for hundreds of miles.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
When we lived in Chicago I was about 3 blocks from the beach in about 2.400 sq ft.
Can we still do that in San Diego for under $1 mill?
No.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK View Post
I have almost the same dilemma--I currently live in Madison WI and my husband and I are strongly considering moving to San Diego next summer. My husband is from the D.C. area and I am a native Wisconsinite. I have always HATED winter with a passion. I am not into any winter sports at all so basically I am on house arrest/hate going outside for 5 months out of the year. We went out and visited San Diego a couple of months ago and we LOVED it. I just think it would be so great to go out and walk your dog anytime you want, the beautiful scenery, just a more carefree lifestyle (no more having to change plans due to bad weather, etc). I am really anxious about leaving Wisconsin because my family is here, although I live 5 hours away from them right now, its nice knowing I can get into the car and visit whenever I want and not have to fly. Has anyone else had experience with moving far away from their family (like across the country) and how often do you see them?
Two years ago I moved from San Diego to Wisconsin (Fox Citites area). I was born and raised in San Diego and moved when I was 36.

My advice to you is to stay in Madison. San Diego is a great place to visit, and it was once a great place to live. But so much of what was wonderful about San Diego no longer exists. The only thing San Diego has over Wisconsin is the weather.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 PM

what no longer exists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego