Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 AM
PSW PSW started this thread

5 posts, read 18,303 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm going to be moving to SD from the east coast this summer. I've done some preliminary research and I believe I've narrowed my destination neighborhoods to two areas: Gaslamp or La Jolla (downtown/not UTC).

I like the idea of Gaslamp because I currently live in the downtown core of a large metro and love the convenience and options (restaurant, bars, shopping).

That said, if I'm going to California, I might as well be near the ocean, so I could sacrifice some amenities for tennis, the beach, etc.; that's where La Jolla comes in.

So, what's your vote/opinion? I can imagine what the Gaslamp is like, but have no idea what living in La Jolla would be like: are there youngish people there? Are there plenty of restaurants/bars? Is it lively or sleepy? Would the drive to work be a nightmare? (apologies to La Jollans for any ignorance)

FYI, I'm early 30s, single, straight and would be commuting to Rancho Bernardo. I've also accepted the fact that I'll probably be shelling out around $2K for rent regardless of where I live.

Thanks in advance!

PSW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Gaslamp is really for tourists. It's more of a theme park than a real residential city neighborhood. I would choose La Jolla in an instant.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,643 times
It sounds like La Jolla could be really fun for a person in your situation. You'll definitely feel like you're living in California living in LJ, with the beach and the whole vibe down there. Especially during summer, it's pretty much ground zero for parties, things to do, etc. Tons of cool restaurants, bars, lounges, stuff like that. Lots of youngish people, but also some old LJ money too. It's kind of a mix of both age groups.
Which brings up the one negative I have for La Jolla: traffic and congestion. Overall, it can be brutal getting in and out of the village area. Weekends for sure, but during summer, even on weekdays, it's pretty bad on all the streets. That's also true of other areas of SD during the summer, too. So as long as you're prepared and it sounds like you've done your homework and aren't coming in with unrealistic expectations, I think you'll like it. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
I just came back from spending several days in La Jolla and I'm now thinking about moving there. It's a VERY college town feel as UCSD is right there. I didn't realize that, but it's still a nice place to be. I didn't notice a ton of traffic, except what I think they call the UTC area at night, but that seems to be normal. I actually didn't find much traffic the entire week I was in So Cal, as compared to Phx.

I forgot to check out the Gaslamp area and was just reminded by this post. Oops. I'll check it out next time I go out there.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,316,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Gaslamp is really for tourists. It's more of a theme park than a real residential city neighborhood. I would choose La Jolla in an instant.
While true, there are also a lot of condos for people who have moved down there.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:29 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,138 times
Truthfully, not many bad places to live around SD. One of the worlds most beautiful cities and I've sen most of them.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 AM

267 posts, read 1,288,826 times
I'd go with the Gaslamp. Because it's more urban and I'm more inclined to the urban than the suburban. Blitzing around downtown San Diego and the harbor district on a bike at 3 or 4 in the morning is a rush. To be able to roll out of bed and do it is a luxury. There are a lot of cool people who live downtown. There are a lot of women with arm sleeve tatts that live downtown. I like women with tattoos. Lots of tattoos. The more tattoos the better. Some of them shop and work at Hustler on 6th avenue. Depending on the time of day, downtown is romantic, athletic, artistic, energetic, sleepy, with just the right amount of blood and dirt thrown in. La Jolla's pretty. Move to La Jolla when you're in your 90's or if you're bound to a wheelchair. Then again, maybe not...since I know some pretty old ladies that like to get around town.

Last edited by hotornot; 05-28-2009 at 06:01 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:16 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
If there was easier access in an out of La Jolla with public transit, I would go for there. LJ is pretty like it's own city, but it's a "special ward of San Diego", meaning it has it's own mailing address as La Jolla, CA but it's still within the city limits of San Diego. Overall, I would go for Gaslamp. It's more centrally located and you can have access to all over including the beach communities such as La Jolla, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, and Coronado. Plus you mentioned that you like being in an urban area with nightlife and restaurants nearby, and more hip for a younger crowd. La Jolla doesn't have as much, it has a few upscale restaurants and bars.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM

43 posts, read 249,210 times
I live in la jolla, annnd I have to say that if you are looking for a beach town and california feel it really isn't it. I love la jolla but its mainly older people with straw hats and Ferraris. UCSD area has more of a collegy feel, but really UCSD is in UTC and not downtown La Jolla. Gaslamp is cookie cutter touristy. If I was you I'd look into Pacific Beach or Bird Rock, they have the best of both worlds. Fairly quick to I5 and downtown, a crowd more in your age group, lots more to do, right by the beach, cheaper, and more laid back. Thats where Im moving at the end of the month. It kinda depends on where you are going to work or go to school though because traffic can be bad, but not as bad as people make it sound.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM

111 posts, read 460,845 times
Personally, I like la Jolla better. It's got the nice beach, nice area for walking around. People are affluent here so there's less crime. The place is cleaner and you get more of the professional types here, and some families.

I see Gaslamp as more of a touristy place to visit at night when you want to experience the bar scene. People tend to be young and are looking for a good time which may translate to looking for trouble. You can live there, but the area is older and a little more run down.

Compare photos of La Jolla vs Gaslamp:
La Jolla Cove
Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego