Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM

32 posts, read 272,595 times

Advertisements

how is this general area? what kind of people live there? safe?

im looking for a 3bedroom place (townhouse/condo/apartment/house, whatever)

iv found a few places in this area that seem reasonable.

it seems liek location is good but id like more info

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoz87 View Post
how is this general area? what kind of people live there? safe?

im looking for a 3bedroom place (townhouse/condo/apartment/house, whatever)

iv found a few places in this area that seem reasonable.

it seems liek location is good but id like more info

thanks
It's got good areas and not-so-good areas. General consensus is to avoid Linda Vista and the apartments right on Clairemont Mesa / Balboa / Clairemont drive. Generally speaking the north side of CLMT and the west side are the best parts of the area.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:45 PM

cool thanks. i think what me and my 2 room mates will end up doing is moving out and finding a place that is just like month to month rent for the first month, and just get kinda setup there, so we can take some time and look for a good permanent place to lease. the idea of biting into something after only hearing about it on like craigslist doesnt seem like a good one

Old 04-10-2007, 04:38 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I lived in Clairemont Mesa when I first moved to San Diego in the 1980's, and looked at all the same areas you are looking at now. Regarding apartments on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard, and Balboa and Clairemont Avenues the biggest negative is your proximity to traffic noise. If you can get one block off the main roads that's a big plus. I'd also say that apartments on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard have a somewhat tired quality to them. The ones on Balboa Avenue looked a bit better. Still if you are three young guys, you'll be fine renting on any of these roads. Young people can tolerate far more than that when they know it's not permanent. If you go jogging around the neighborhood's it's not like you'll be gunned down in a drive-by shooting or something. Overall Clairemont Mesa is a normal, somewhat sterile auto-sprawl area built in the 50's through 70s. It leans a bit towards the lower side of the middle class range these days as the wealthier people have moved on to bigger houses in better areas.

Linda Vista has a bit more of a reputation for criminal and gang activity though I can't say I know the area personally. I've only driven through it. However, if you don't go looking for trouble in San Diego generally trouble won't find you. Frankly, if you chose to rent there in a good complex, you'd be fine in LV too. Sometimes, I'm concerned that when we board members mention criminal and gang activity, South Central LA is the vision that non-San Diegans see in their heads. LV is NOT that. No place, not even the worst parts of San Diego are like that.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 638,881 times
I lived in Clairemont in an apartment near the Mission Bay exit after moving to San Diego in 2000. I'm not crazy about Clairemont, but you could certainly find worse areas to live. I never really felt unsafe there, and I was in a pretty ghetto apartment. I taught in Linda Vista...wouldn't want to live in that area. Kettlepot is right that we're not talking South Central LA or anything, though. Renting month-to-month sounds like a great way to discover where you'd like to put down some roots in San Diego. If you find a good deal, you may prefer PB (Pacific Beach), Mission Valley, Coronado, or even La Jolla, although La Jolla can be pricey.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 PM

isnt coronado kinda pricey too?? and i wouldnt mind living in pb at all but i think that would probably still be out of our price range. were looking to spend like 1600 a month. i knwo theres not a lot of places nor are they going to be that great, but i figure if we search around enough we will find the right one. but yea were 3 guys ages 19 and 20, i will be attending college (not sure ucsd or sdsu) and the other 2 will probably just be working. so idk any ideas on other areas to check out would be great

Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I agree about not living right on Clairmont Drive.

I rented half a duplex there with a friend during college, and I had FOUR flat tires in one year. We were never positive if it was some of the thuggish looking kids walking home from school, or our slightly unhinged neighbor.

I felt pretty safe in Clairmont in general though.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoz87 View Post
isnt coronado kinda pricey too?? and i wouldnt mind living in pb at all but i think that would probably still be out of our price range. were looking to spend like 1600 a month. i knwo theres not a lot of places nor are they going to be that great, but i figure if we search around enough we will find the right one. but yea were 3 guys ages 19 and 20, i will be attending college (not sure ucsd or sdsu) and the other 2 will probably just be working. so idk any ideas on other areas to check out would be great
Nothing wrong with CLMT. I like your month-to-month plan. It's central to all, a good enough place to base your exploration of the city.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:54 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree about not living right on Clairmont Drive.

I rented half a duplex there with a friend during college, and I had FOUR flat tires in one year. We were never positive if it was some of the thuggish looking kids walking home from school, or our slightly unhinged neighbor.

I felt pretty safe in Clairmont in general though.
After you've reached a certain age, ALL teenage kids start to look thuggish!

Also Awoz you're right about pricey. Not only La Jolla, but Coronado will be pricey, and Pacific Beach will definitely not be cheap.

Another issue you may have is that given your youth landlord's may simply not rent to you, but don't be put off, there's enough supply out there that you'll find something. San Diego isn't the kind of place where you HAVE to make sure you've got a lease signed before you show up in town. I lived in a Motel 6 for 3 days while I went apartment hunting.

Good luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
[quote=kettlepot;563676]After you've reached a certain age, ALL teenage kids start to look thuggish!

/QUOTE]

Not when you're only 19! They were thuggish, I swear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego