Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
I feel the same way. San Diego is completely overhyped. I can't wait to get out of this city. What's so great about san diego beaches? Nothing they have no character and the water is dirty and polluted. What's so great about the weather? Nothing, sun 365 24/7 is not exciting. What's so great about it's geography/natrual setting? Nothing, who likes sprawl that's not even dense slapped across a rather hilly terrain covered with brown grass? The only places in San diego safe from this insult are the coastal cities: La Jolla, Encinitas, Del Mar, etc. What's so great about the culture/diversity? Nothing, I find people in San Diego to be narrow minded and pretentious and as for diversity...non-existant. Can't wait to leave this craped assed city that I hate so much!!
Just two more years!!!!
WHoooo!!!There are more people on my boat!!!I feel the same way 95%.I'm a pro growth type of dude.But San Diego's geography makes it tough from that?And yes.We might be one of the most narrow minded places in the nation.But yet this and all the other "good traits" of SD makes this America's Finest City?What a joke

Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. San Diego is completely overhyped. I can't wait to get out of this city. What's so great about san diego beaches? Nothing they have no character and the water is dirty and polluted. What's so great about the weather? Nothing, sun 365 24/7 is not exciting. What's so great about it's geography/natrual setting? Nothing, who likes sprawl that's not even dense slapped across a rather hilly terrain covered with brown grass? The only places in San diego safe from this insult are the coastal cities: La Jolla, Encinitas, Del Mar, etc. What's so great about the culture/diversity? Nothing, I find people in San Diego to be narrow minded and pretentious and as for diversity...non-existant. Can't wait to leave this craped assed city that I hate so much!!
Just two more years!!!!
You sound a wee bit overgeneralizing to me. Granted, there are elements of truth in some of what you say but you are picking extremes that don't really represent the whole picture.

Just curious where else have you lived and exactly where do expect to find that perfect city? Because everyplace I've lived I have actually had to seek out the elements of the place, people and culture that will bring out an environment that I can thrive in, or at least have some fun while I'm there.

There are places in this city where, if I were lazy, that I could come to all of these conclusions as well in exacting slices of examples, but you could do the same just about anywhere. You are just being kind of lazy to just say everything here is the worst. Bakersfield is worse.

I've lived in SF, LA, DC -as well as tiny towns in the mountains and farms in the mid-west, and have been fortunate to have traveled extensively here in the US and abroad. I can find elements that I love and dislike in each of these areas, but through these experiences I can also choose a neighborhood, friends and activities that most closely represents what I value most.

The weather is what it is, the topography and setting pretty interesting, the culture and people are who and what you seek out and participate with. If I need something different I can travel-LA and SF are just a short hop- I went snowshoeing in Maine last February-loved it, don't want to live there.

San Diego probably does have more hype that it deserves but I found a little slice of interesting paradise in this big impersonal city that feels like a very right fit for me.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 AM

250 posts, read 911,082 times
If you don't like it-leave. Its pretty simple. Everyone has an area that suits them. Is it overrated? I don't think so, in fact compared to the places I find it to be very much underrated.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
If you don't like it-leave. Its pretty simple. Everyone has an area that suits them. Is it overrated? I don't think so, in fact compared to the places I find it to be very much underrated.
After growing up in Baltimore, San Diego is an amazing place to me!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
I lived in San Diego for close to four years. In fact, I remember being excited about it as we drove in around early 2002.

A few months later, I was longing for Houston again. I found San Diego to be very limiting...I grew tired of either the insular Filipino or whitebread culture there. Surfer culture...cowabunga, dude! Really. In Houston, the diversity works together MUCH BETTER. Houston's Filipino cafes aren't good as San Diego's...but when it comes to practically everything else...Houston kicks San Diego's gastronomic butt.

I always felt disdain for San Diego due to its purposeful repression of Latino pop expression, in fact, any ethnic color expression. It's quite different from Houston where Vietnamese food is so celebrated (NY food critic John Mariani once pointed that out!) and African-American art houses (Rick Lowe's Project Row for example) are points of informational pride. It's a shame mainstream San Diego has to repress or ignore the historic value of something like Chicano Park.

Also try finding a halal Pak cafe like Savoy's in San Diego. Something in a Houston strip center blows away over-priced "ethnic" cafes in the Gas Lamp or Uptown Hillcrest! (Well, there are a couple decent ethnic cafes along El Cajon Blvd like that Ethiopian Place as well as Saigon but man, where are the Salvadoran and Colombian cafes that H-town's got in spades?)

And I missed the thunderstorms, MY thunderstorms of the Gulf Coast. I got tired of the prissy weather and that prissy San Diego outlook on "weather." My complexion and thick hair seem more vibrant here in the Gulf Coast for some reason as well.

The only good thing about San Diego "living" was the proximity to Los Angeles. I love L.A. and I always admired that it's a place that doesn't hide what it is. Unlike San Diego with its sunny face but dark soul. Yeah, for those who look closely, there's a dark vibe about Sunny SD.

And this outlet called Oceanside. Why do they require a "loyalty oath" for a city job? City of Houston NEVER required that when I worked for it!

Escondido, San Diego, National City, San Diego County...what's up with the quasi-martial law when the police have to set up CHECKPOINTS for driver's licenses and insurance? This is NOT the Soviet Union where they needed to "check your papers!" (And don't give me that "illegal immigrants" crap either. That should be a Border Patrol function. Why not have cops bust into homes and businesses checking for rampant white collar crime then? Where would it end?) Cops in general should enact more aggressive patrols NOT checkpoints. Police checkpoints are illegal in Houston, by the way (unless the a-hole Texas governor has his way at some point).

I'll never make the mistake of leaving Houston for San Diego again. Houston's not perfect but it still holds vast promise, promise never apparent in colonialist San Diego. On that note, San Diego is overrated in my book.

Last edited by worldlyman; 05-29-2009 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Just two more years!!!!
Oh it's the schizophrenic troll that never goes away AGAIN:

The following post was written by you on a thread titled "10 Reasons You Love YOUR City!"
Quote:
1. it's beautiful
2. perfect weather
3. great downtown
4. great coastal communities
5. great museums
So do you just wake up and hate San Diego some days then wake up other days and love it? B/c your posts, under all of your many usernames, sure reflect that.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Ah Ha! Nice observation sav858

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
If you don't like it-leave. Its pretty simple.
Really. Please. Leave. Now. If you like Sweden or Houston or San Francisco more, go there.

Some people would rather ***** and moan than actually attempt to find what makes them happy. And for the ones who already KNOW where they are happy, it's even more incredulous that they would remain here. You won't miss here, we certainly won't miss you - - go!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:33 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Oh it's the schizophrenic troll that never goes away AGAIN:

The following post was written by you on a thread titled "10 Reasons You Love YOUR City!"

So do you just wake up and hate San Diego some days then wake up other days and love it? B/c your posts, under all of your many usernames, sure reflect that.

It's kinda creepy when people stalk other posters and remember exactly what they posted and can dig it up!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
It's kinda creepy when people stalk other posters and remember exactly what they posted and can dig it up!
It's kind of creepy and stupid when other make assumptions when they don't really know what they're talking about, like you are right now! After I read his post I looked at his previous posts, which there are only 10 of, and saw that. But I guess in your simple mind that qualifies as "stalking". Plus this poster is a troll and I've come across him on numerous occasions and can spot his BS from a mile away. Some of us have a good memory and sharp mind, which I'm sure you have no idea what that is like. So get it straight next time before you go around making stupid assumptions like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego