Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times

Advertisements

A murder and a brawl in the crowded gaslamp and a shooting at Belmont Park in Mission Beach over the holiday weekend... not exactly a tourist-friendly image!

Police probe report of gunshots near Belmont Park

Woman dies in Gaslamp shooting

Both high profile tourist destinations, both have become overrun with gang members on a regular basis. Does the state and city budget crisis mean that we can expect our underpoliced city to become even less policed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
These types of incidents have happened before in both the Gaslamp and MB, they just don't happen often. I don't really see any difference between these two isolated incidents and incidents in past years in both areas. I actually feel like MB is better than it was a few years ago when it seemed like there was some stabbing or shooting at a nightime bonfire every other week for awhile.

Last edited by sav858; 05-26-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Once again;this stuff is bound to happen in an area this size.We are in the top 10 cities for population in the Nation.It shocks me that SD City does not have more shootings/homicides than it does.
There are gangs in Downtown on the weekend and I have had some run-ins with them.None of them dangerous or scary but they are downtown in great numbers.I have even about 10 fights going downtown this year alone,and about 7 of them seem to have been gang or "unit" involved.

As for Msn Bch that has been a hot spot for shootings and all that for as long as I can remember.Hey Sassberto,you consider Mission Beach as a "high prof" tourist destination?I'm not too sure about that.It is a tourist area but I don't think it's that "high profile".It seems like one of the only beaches in SD that has a local fell.I would say Coronado,La Jolla,and some of the N.County beaches are more tourist friendly than Mission/Pacific Beach.And sav858,I agree.Msn Bch was crazy from lets say 1998-2005.Now,it improved(along the beach that is).But like I say anytime there is a homicide or shooting in the city,it does not shock me because they are going to happen when 1M+ people live in the city alone.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Once again;this stuff is bound to happen in an area this size.We are in the top 10 cities for population in the Nation.It shocks me that SD City does not have more shootings/homicides than it does.
There are gangs in Downtown on the weekend and I have had some run-ins with them.None of them dangerous or scary but they are downtown in great numbers.I have even about 10 fights going downtown this year alone,and about 7 of them seem to have been gang or "unit" involved.

As for Msn Bch that has been a hot spot for shootings and all that for as long as I can remember.Hey Sassberto,you consider Mission Beach as a "high prof" tourist destination?I'm not too sure about that.It is a tourist area but I don't think it's that "high profile".It seems like one of the only beaches in SD that has a local fell.I would say Coronado,La Jolla,and some of the N.County beaches are more tourist friendly than Mission/Pacific Beach.And sav858,I agree.Msn Bch was crazy from lets say 1998-2005.Now,it improved(along the beach that is).But like I say anytime there is a homicide or shooting in the city,it does not shock me because they are going to happen when 1M+ people live in the city alone.
Yeah, it is hard to believe that a city that has over a million people (about the size of Philly) has such a low murder rate, only about 50 a year. I wonder what they are doing right in San Diego that they are not doing in other cities. What really makes it surprising is 1) it's an American city, 2) it's right next to the Mexican border, and 3) the crime rate continues to drop even during a recession. Some say the weather is a factor, making everyone happy and less angry. It could also be the influence of Japanese culture, which is a society of peace, love, and understanding (look at the population of Tokyo and how low the murder rate is there). I think the biggest factor is economics. San Diego has a low poverty rate and many of them are well off, making them less likely to commit an act that would ruin their lives.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM

157 posts, read 644,877 times
black gangstas be takin' over SanDiego.

lock yo doors and hide your daughters.

bury yo cash and hide out.

Detroit # 2 be on the way to SanDiego.

jus kiddin' folkz ............... but watch out fo yoy safety.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think the biggest factor is economics. San Diego has a low poverty rate and many of them are well off, making them less likely to commit an act that would ruin their lives.
I don't know....San Francisco has a lower poverty rate than San Diego, yet we have roughly twice the number of murders a year, with roughly half the population. It must be something else.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:39 PM

93 posts, read 305,656 times
It's the sun. The single greatest mood improver around.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,433 times
The only two things I could possibly think of would be the crackdown on gangs (gang injunctions) in the last 10 years and the layout of gang areas in San Diego. Gang turfs are relatively confined to certain neighborhoods in southeast (Lincoln Park, Emerald Hills, Skyline etc.) and don't exist block for block like they do in L.A. or other cities. So it's a lot less likely to run into rival gang members while taking a simple trip around the corner to the neighborhood store, or any other location, unless people are actively driving around in rival neighborhoods looking for trouble. Trolley stations in southeast can also be hotspots, but this is just a perspective regarding black gangs in San Diego.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacscott77 View Post
It's the sun. The single greatest mood improver around.
I've been arguing this point myself here in Las Vegas. We get 300 days of sunshine a year, and I'll bet if we had 350 days of sunshine a year it would reduce our murder rate here.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM

267 posts, read 1,288,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post

Both high profile tourist destinations, both have become overrun with gang members on a regular basis.
How do you know? Are you in both places 7 days a week? Get real. You're delusional and sound like a drama queen.

Overrun with gang members??

On a regular basis????

Lol...

That's a GROSS mischaracterization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego