U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,329 times
Default Moving to SD to attend SDSU, need advice

I'm moving next summer to attend SDSU... I'm trying to find a decent place to rent an apartment or house which is NOT going to end up with me dead. I was visiting a friend who lives on campus there and we went looking for an apartment on 54th place (off of 54th and University). We were looked upon in a way that was not friendly. We were also told that we were in the wrooooong part of town (emphasis courtesy of the man in the truck). Anyways, if you could help me, I'd like something that isn't more than 15 minutes away from the campus (max).

This is a summary of what I've collected:

N. of El Cajon generally better than S. of El Cajon blvd

west of the 805 or North of El Cajon Blvd, or East of 54th.

90% of the crime happens between the 805 and 54th
between ECB and University

any help, I'd appreciate... thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 PM

7,101 posts, read 17,907,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasetastic View Post
I'm moving next summer to attend SDSU... I'm trying to find a decent place to rent an apartment or house which is NOT going to end up with me dead. I was visiting a friend who lives on campus there and we went looking for an apartment on 54th place (off of 54th and University). We were looked upon in a way that was not friendly. We were also told that we were in the wrooooong part of town (emphasis courtesy of the man in the truck). Anyways, if you could help me, I'd like something that isn't more than 15 minutes away from the campus (max).

This is a summary of what I've collected:

N. of El Cajon generally better than S. of El Cajon blvd

west of the 805 or North of El Cajon Blvd, or East of 54th.

90% of the crime happens between the 805 and 54th
between ECB and University

any help, I'd appreciate... thank you.
54th and University is no dice. If you are looking to rent an apt, stay as close to SDSU as possible to start. Right around campus there is a lot of rentals. Those rules of thumb are mine... I think they hold up pretty well. If you are looking to rent a house, check out my neighborhood too - South of Montezuma blvd and east of College all the way south to university. Also check out Del Cerro which is just north of the 8. That is the priciest and nicest area.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:56 AM

11 posts, read 44,004 times
I agree with Sassberto...Stay as close to SDSU as possible and away from 54th & University- north of University Ave is a good rule to follow.

I use to commute to and from SDSU from Mira Mesa. I eventually moved to an apartment in La Mesa, so I could be closer to the college. La Mesa is not bad and is almost as close to SDSU as 54th & U. There are a number of apartments you can find off of Lake Murray Blvd where you wont feel like a fish out of water.

Mission Valley also has some apartments just north of I-8. They're located on Adobe Falls just east of Waring Rd. I've been there before and they seemed okay, but that was years ago. I cannot attest to how livable that area is nowadays.

You should also check the area of Rancho Mission & San Diego Mission. I think there are apartments in the general area just east of I-15 & north of I-8. You would still be close to SDSU and should be relatively safe.

Did you look at the Daily Aztec classifieds? There are always rooms for rent by fellow students looking to share a house usually within walking distance of the college.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 AM

55 posts, read 190,313 times
Like the above poster, I would look in La Mesa.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 AM

2,946 posts, read 6,532,158 times
And does the newest extension of the trolley that stops at the college go on to La Mesa? Or is La Mesa part of the Grossmont line? Hard for me to remember because they made a point to make sure the trolley missed the most densely populated parts of the city that could use it most.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,329 times
Default Update

Also, hah... something relatively affordable... relatively.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM

601 posts, read 1,844,329 times
Yes I recommend La Mesa north of the 8 as well. I lived off Baltimore in a nice complex on the lake. I am thinking of moving back to that area when I get married before I head onto Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego