Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Nope, everybody does their own in-depth research before joining that all-too-familiar chorus.
gee I didn't realize you knew what EVERYBODY did. Perhaps you didn't notice the post above mine and a very popular site people use to judge schools on, which is just test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
gee I didn't realize you knew what EVERYBODY did. Perhaps you didn't notice the post above mine and a very popular site people use to judge schools on, which is just test scores.
Set your sarcasm meter to "on", Sav...

Old 06-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Set your sarcasm meter to "on", Sav...
It's rarely "off"....

Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,915 times
Tierrsanta = White Trash.

Clairemont is much better, diverse, and right next to La Jolla.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 44,571 times
Quote:
Newsweek just came out with a list of America's Top 1,500 High Schools and many SD schools made the list, including Clairemont and Mira Mesa surprisingly. Since most people seem to rank the quality of schools based on just test scores alone I think this list is worth a look.

SD: America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

entire list: America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com
Thanks for the links.

Test scores ARE part of the equation sure. There are many other factors too though...we look at more than just the API rankings. Reading through parent comments at sites like greatschools.net help too. Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Newsweek just came out with a list of America's Top 1,500 High Schools and many SD schools made the list, including Clairemont and Mira Mesa surprisingly. Since most people seem to rank the quality of schools based on just test scores alone I think this list is worth a look.

SD: America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

entire list: America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com
That is a rather controversial rating, as you probably know. Besides, it is not quite accurate.

For example, in 2008, Torrey Pines High was #185 with index 2.925. San Pasqual High was #163 with index 3.034. Does it sound suspicious to you that SPHS administers more AP/IB tests to its students than TPHS (considering that SPHS is half Hispanic and TPHS has large Asian population, for whom taking AP and IB classes is practically a national sport)? Heck yes. And it should - because it's not true. You can find official AP test stats on California Department of Education web site. In 2008, TPHS administered 3.68 AP tests per senior and SPHS administered 2.78.

Also, since it uses the total number of tests taken, not the number of tests passed, it is really a measure of how accessible AP classes are in the school.

If we rank San Diego schools by the number of AP exams _passed_ per senior, this is what we get:

1 Torrey Pines High 2.92
2 Preuss School UCSD 2.74
3 Canyon Crest Academy 2.43
4 Westview High 2.41
5 La Jolla High 2.31
6 Scripps Ranch High 1.70
7 San Dieguito High Academy 1.68
8 University City High 1.64
9 San Pasqual High 1.63
10 Rancho Bernardo High 1.55
11 Coronado High 1.51
12 Mt. Carmel High 1.42
13 La Costa Canyon High 1.34
14 Poway High 1.28
15 Carlsbad High 1.20
16 Henry High 1.19
17 El Camino High 1.01
18 San Marcos High 1.00
19 Mira Mesa High 0.93
20 Mission Hills High 0.87

Serra High is #28 with 0.70 and Clairemont High is #40 with 0.49.

Looks much better, doesn't it?

Now let's also account for the fact that Preuss is 59% Hispanic, San Marcos High is 51% Hispanic, El Camino High and Mission Hills High are 46% Hispanic, San Pasqual High is 44% Hispanic, University City High and Henry High are 31% Hispanic. And, in a school with free-for-all AP enrollment, Hispanics are pretty much guaranteed to pass at least one AP exam (AP Spanish Language). If we adjust for that, we're practically all the way back to the standard API / free lunch ranking.

Last edited by esmith143; 06-10-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Just sort the list by % free and reduced lunch if you want to see the metric by which most people measure a "good school"....

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Also, since it uses the total number of tests taken, not the number of tests passed, it is really a measure of how accessible AP classes are in the school.
To me, the more AP classes a school offers the better even if its in a school with relatively low test scores, lots of minorities, etc.. At least a student has the option of taking AP courses, which will greatly help them get into college.

Not saying that this list is perfect or anything like that, just thought it gave a different perspective besides just test scores.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
To me, the more AP classes a school offers the better even if its in a school with relatively low test scores, lots of minorities, etc.. At least a student has the option of taking AP courses, which will greatly help them get into college.

Not saying that this list is perfect or anything like that, just thought it gave a different perspective besides just test scores.
AP class accessibility is definitely a factor to be considered. It would royally suck if you pay through the nose to put your kid into a prestigious school (say, Rancho Bernardo High) only to find out that your kid is not eligible to take AP Physics because of strict prerequisites and limited room in class. It would be equally bad to send a science-oriented kid to a school the level of Clairemont High, regardless of accessibility, because, in a low-accessibility school, AP Physics may be completely unavailable, and in a high-accessibility school the class would be dumbed-down to the point of uselessness.

Ideally you'll want a school with strong demographics and accessible AP classes. You should be wary of schools where strong demographics does not translate into high test rates, such as RB High, Poway High, Carlsbad High.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 AM

13 posts, read 44,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Just sort the list by % free and reduced lunch if you want to see the metric by which most people measure a "good school"....
again, a factor I do consider. and I agree with the quotes here..."good school" so often means affluent, yeah? I think as school w/0% free-lunches is just as "bad" as one with almost ALL free-lunches. We're looking for balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
AP class accessibility is definitely a factor to be considered. ...

Ideally you'll want a school with strong demographics and accessible AP classes. You should be wary of schools where strong demographics does not translate into high test rates, such as RB High, Poway High, Carlsbad High.
I know my kids will do well academically in any school, regardless of test scores or magazine rankings. I DO want a good academic track record, but we are looking more as well. Safety for one. Diversity is another.

Sidenote on diversity: Really! I know diversity is often scoffed at in these forums by some and of course there are those who SAY they are seeking diversity but don't really mean it. We do. My wife's pHd will be in ETHNIC Studies...diversity's a big deal in these parts.

So what's the point? I don't remember, but for us "good schools" means something more than just High Test Scores and few poor kids. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego