Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM

19 posts, read 98,259 times

Advertisements

I have to get in the heat issue. Remember not too long ago when it was 95 degrees in downtown? That was horrible.
Still we only used the a/c about 5 days that summer.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My experience with San Diego is that people are very pleasant overall. I'm often taken aback with how nice people are when I'm there.
That's certainly true. I've been to San Diego on vacation many times ... in fact, last week we were in the San Diego area, and we were treated very friendly. San Diegans are generally laid back, and grateful that so many people like to vacation there. It's almost like the Margaritaville of the Southwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Not to rain on your parade (because I honestly appreciate your positive attitude) but you might want to make it through a summer here before you proclaim your A/C unnecessary.
Come August and September, it'll be pretty toasty. Maybe not Florida humid, but mid 80s for sure. You may need to fire up the A/C!
Mid 80s is toasty??? Where I live, a summer with temps in the 80s would have people thinking that we're entering an ice age! I know that late summer & early fall in southern CA is generally warmer than June, but I could live with mid 80s even with some coastal humidity.

I agree with you though about A/C being a necessity. Even last week when temps there were in the high 60s/low 70s, we needed to use the A/C in the car after it was parked in the sun. Our hotel room also faced west, so A/C was needed in the late afternoon after the sun blazed in our room and heated things up.

Last edited by Valley Native; 06-18-2009 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 02:17 AM

9 posts, read 61,031 times
I've lived in San Diego all my life and I've never had a bad commute. All of the congestion is during rush hour and very localized so you know exactly where it is and exactly how to avoid it. Traffic in SD is not bad at all IMHO.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 AM

41 posts, read 145,744 times
Default Oh sorry, not true, lived in S.D. for over 10 years...maybe the are you live in and commute?

I lived in San Diego for 10 years, yes it is true. The traffic is awful and I grew up in LA, and that is saying something. Perhaps you do not have to commute to jobs up the 805 or 15 from 7AM- AM? Or commute home between 3-7PM? It took me about 45 min to make my way from La Jolla to Kensington, which is about 10 miles.

Glad I moved out. Beware of the drinking water, there are problems and it will give you serious gastro intestinal problems if you are not careful and buy drinking water from the store. Also, be very careful which restaurants you eat, as they cook with the same drinking water..........Gross, huh? Not worth it to me!

quote=randplaty;9364182]I've lived in San Diego all my life and I've never had a bad commute. All of the congestion is during rush hour and very localized so you know exactly where it is and exactly how to avoid it. Traffic in SD is not bad at all IMHO.[/quote]

Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,977 times
I've never had a problem with our drinking water here in San Diego. It doesn't taste great but has never made me (or anyone in my family) sick and we cook with it all the time.

The commute is certainly bad in certain parts of San Diego but still not as bad as other parts of the country like D.C. or Seattle or yes, L.A.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:40 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster5757 View Post
I lived in San Diego for 10 years, yes it is true. The traffic is awful and I grew up in LA, and that is saying something. Perhaps you do not have to commute to jobs up the 805 or 15 from 7AM- AM? Or commute home between 3-7PM? It took me about 45 min to make my way from La Jolla to Kensington, which is about 10 miles.

Glad I moved out. Beware of the drinking water, there are problems and it will give you serious gastro intestinal problems if you are not careful and buy drinking water from the store. Also, be very careful which restaurants you eat, as they cook with the same drinking water..........Gross, huh? Not worth it to me!

quote=randplaty;9364182]I've lived in San Diego all my life and I've never had a bad commute. All of the congestion is during rush hour and very localized so you know exactly where it is and exactly how to avoid it. Traffic in SD is not bad at all IMHO.
How many times can you post the same thing over and over again? Hope you're enjoying Detroit.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,977 times
Detroit??? Ok, so is this just a case of sour grapes?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster5757 View Post

I work from home, so I don't have "commute" per se, however I've driven those roads during rush hour, and I've been caught in some traffic, just it didn't seem as bad to me as what I faced back in Orlando - not nearly as bad. At least it moves and isn't a standstill. Perhaps it's just by comparison...but I definitely don't mind the traffic here. Also, have you tried to drive around south Florida or the DC metro or Boston during rush hour on most days? That's gridlock.

The drinking water isn't that bad to me... Florida's was crappier haha. Anyhow, we have a filter on our fridge where the water comes out, so anything that may be funky tastes fine after going through that. I have drank the tap water straight a few times and, well, it tastes like tap water...

Sorry you didn't like it here, and I hope you're living somewhere you enjoy now.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 06-20-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 02:55 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Being new you should check out Cabrillo National Monument. It has great views of the city.

Cabrillo National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

As far as markets, I should mention Whole Foods, Henry's, Baron's Market, Ocean Beach Co-op, Jimbo's, and various others I don't recall. They're somewhat similar to Traders Joe's, probably more similar to Whole Foods.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
Detroit??? Ok, so is this just a case of sour grapes?
Ok, it makes more sense now. If I had to leave San Diego (or just about anywhere else) and go live in Detroit, I guess I might be depressed. I don't think I'd lurk around SD message boards talking about how the water will give you gastrointestinal disorders or how the traffic is worse than LA, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego