Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,059 times

Advertisements

I have found that this city-data forum has been very honest and true to those who seek a more understanding of different topics. On another note this is my dilemma...

I have moved to the San Diego area so that my girlfriend and I could be together again after a long distance relationship of over a year. I am a tall, healthy black male in my late 20's, who dresses well, has a good smile, and can speak with good grammar. I am educated, have a proven employment history, and consider myself outgoing. That being said, I have grown a little disgruntled in my job searches over the past month.

Now I know how bad the economy is at the moment and how hard it is to find a job. My thing is this, I have been looking for jobs within the Gaslamp area hoping to work at a bar/club. I have 4 years of experience working in the Industry up to now. I left my last bar on the east coast informing them of my new venture to sunny southern California. I have the full support of my past owners and all personal and professional references.

Now to get to the real issue that I had hoped NOT to face...
"is it because I'm black?" Everyday that I have been here, I have got up, dressed to impress, and walked/rode that trolley downtown with the hopes of landing a job in that beautiful common area this city calls "The Gaslamp." I can honestly say that I know when a person gives you the run-around. Not only because I have received it repeatedly here, but because I was a manager at a bar and have seen other managers from other businesses do it.

I am a persistant person, who is totally humble and willing to start from the bottom and work his way up; just like I have done for any job in my past. I have barbacked, waited tables, but mostly bartended, and even given the honor of earning the position of manager. I have not given up but find it quite discouraging. I find myself wondering.. am I way over my head. A few people are telling me it's because I'm black and would not send the right message for a bars' image. As sad as that sounds I have never allowed this common issue to stop me from accomplishing anything in my life(a true and proven advice from my father and mother(he a College Professor and she a Registered Nurse). Although they worry about why I injoy the industry so much instead of doing marketing/sales, ( my past occupation) I tell them,.."it's very similar, because you also sell yourself and the business you work for."

In conclusion the reason I wrote this is because I have grown frustrated and in need of some feedback from those who know about Downtown San diego and the the Gaslamp industry scene. Most people who have worked a service job knows that anytime a person relocates, (as hard and demanding as that profession is) it's sought out almost automatically nevertheless.

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM

730 posts, read 2,882,582 times
My friend moved out to the Los Angeles area with something like 15+years of exprience in the restaurant/bar industry and it took her nearly 6 months to find a job. BYW, she is a very attractive blond. The job market in California is horrible. Keep looking, you'll find something. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM

18,966 posts, read 32,496,490 times
Some of the bars and clubs in Downtown have been experiencing a lot of downturn in customers, especially the upscale ones. I think Stingaree is having some big financial trouble. It seems the Gaslamp may have been saturated with too many upscale clubs/bars than this area can actually support. We are a convention city so a drop in visitors and conventioneers will hurt the Gaslamp probably more so than other areas.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutgoingSon View Post
I have found that this city-data forum has been very honest and true to those who seek a more understanding of different topics. On another note this is my dilemma...

I have moved to the San Diego area so that my girlfriend and I could be together again after a long distance relationship of over a year. I am a tall, healthy black male in my late 20's, who dresses well, has a good smile, and can speak with good grammar. I am educated, have a proven employment history, and consider myself outgoing. That being said, I have grown a little disgruntled in my job searches over the past month.

Now I know how bad the economy is at the moment and how hard it is to find a job. My thing is this, I have been looking for jobs within the Gaslamp area hoping to work at a bar/club. I have 4 years of experience working in the Industry up to now. I left my last bar on the east coast informing them of my new venture to sunny southern California. I have the full support of my past owners and all personal and professional references.

Now to get to the real issue that I had hoped NOT to face...
"is it because I'm black?" Everyday that I have been here, I have got up, dressed to impress, and walked/rode that trolley downtown with the hopes of landing a job in that beautiful common area this city calls "The Gaslamp." I can honestly say that I know when a person gives you the run-around. Not only because I have received it repeatedly here, but because I was a manager at a bar and have seen other managers from other businesses do it.

I am a persistant person, who is totally humble and willing to start from the bottom and work his way up; just like I have done for any job in my past. I have barbacked, waited tables, but mostly bartended, and even given the honor of earning the position of manager. I have not given up but find it quite discouraging. I find myself wondering.. am I way over my head. A few people are telling me it's because I'm black and would not send the right message for a bars' image. As sad as that sounds I have never allowed this common issue to stop me from accomplishing anything in my life(a true and proven advice from my father and mother(he a College Professor and she a Registered Nurse). Although they worry about why I injoy the industry so much instead of doing marketing/sales, ( my past occupation) I tell them,.."it's very similar, because you also sell yourself and the business you work for."

In conclusion the reason I wrote this is because I have grown frustrated and in need of some feedback from those who know about Downtown San diego and the the Gaslamp industry scene. Most people who have worked a service job knows that anytime a person relocates, (as hard and demanding as that profession is) it's sought out almost automatically nevertheless.

Thanks for reading
the fact you are black has nothing to do with your not finding a job: well in a way it might: most jobs in the restaurant/bar business in So Ca seem to go to Hispanics, legal or otherwise, that is another story and with the Ca enonomy it isn't easy to even get a job at Micky Ds. Why you re-located I have no idea, but this is the worst time in modern day to move, especially to California.

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,280,805 times
Even though there are hardly any Blacks in SD, the reason you can't find a job is because of the current economic crisis that has been going on not because you're Black . Yeah there MAY be some places where there MIGHT be an issue with some idiot racist but I highly doubt it. Anyways, Where have you been? California is in Bad shape right now, Even many Doctors are out of work.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,823,176 times
can you venture out of the Gaslamp district...do you have a car? Although there must be thousands of bars in SD County, I have to agree that with this economy right now it will be very tough in the restaurant/bar business.

also, maybe you are over-dressing a bit, SD is really casual and if you dress more formally, they might not feel you will fit in.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,959,525 times
Very typical for someone to blame their ills on racial circumstances. "I just can't seem to find a job in a tough economy! Why oh why? Oh that's right....everyone is racist!"

Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM

18,966 posts, read 32,496,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Very typical for someone to blame their ills on racial circumstances.
It seems like other people actually put that idea in his head. From his description he doesn't come off as the type that would do that, at least from my impression of his one post.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,493,588 times
^ That is really bad advice. You should never underdress for a job interview...

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM

276 posts, read 1,016,832 times
"I am a tall, healthy black male in my late 20's, who dresses well, has a good smile, and can speak with good grammar. I am educated, have a proven employment history, and consider myself outgoing."

Like millions of other Black folk and other human beings on the planet!

What makes you ask "Is it because I am black" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego