Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:12 AM

15,115 posts, read 32,182,700 times

Advertisements

There's also Banker's Hill, which has lots of apartments and condos. You shouldn't have a problem renting an apartment with a small dog. I see people walking large dogs downtown all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,909,585 times
I live in Mission Valley by the Qualcomm stadium, and it takes me about 10 minutes to get to Balboa Park. Friars Road to the 163 to the park's exit.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 PM

131 posts, read 296,920 times
Thanks for your input, guys! I spent a few hours researching apartments within close proximity to Balboa Park, and although the rent was steeper at most of those places than I'd prefer, Balboa is worth sucking it up and cutting corners in other areas. I mean, public relations jobs pay well, but I'm definitely aware that San Diego salaries tend to be lower than the national average. Plus, it seems like most of the neighborhoods that are close to Balboa are also quite close to downtown and all of its amenities, so I'd be getting a great deal of entertainment and recreation options for my money.

But if you know anyone who currently lives near Balboa Park in an apartment, I'd appreciate information on that apartment complex, or even just a name so that I can look it up.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 AM

4,530 posts, read 12,354,755 times
Not mentioned by any of the previous posters, are South Park and Golden Hill which are walkably close to Balboa Park. South Park is NOT south of the park, it's on the southeastern side.

As mentioned earlier, North Park is your budget option, however most of the budget options will not be very close to the park. They will be located in a band between University Avenue to the south and El Cajon Boulevard on the north, with Park Boulevard as the western boundary, and 805 as your eastern boundary. Unfortunately, unless you are very near University Avenue, it may be difficult to a get a park visit in on a workday evening unless you are driving to the park. However, at least on weekends the Park will be walkably close.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 AM

190 posts, read 702,675 times
Yeah, you do not have to limit yourself to Mission Hills if you want easy access to Balboa Park.

Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, Downtown, Golden Hill, Banker's Hill, University Heights, Normal Heights, and Kensington are all neighborhoods with easy Park access, and cheaper compared to Mission Hills. The first six are within walking distance to various parts of the Park(Prado, Morley Field, Eastern Balboa Park).

Another thing I learned to live with is that I am prepared to pay for less if it means I am in a location that I want. This usually means that the nearer to the city center you are, the smaller your space. It all depends on what you want, you can't have both unless you have bottomless pockets.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM

131 posts, read 296,920 times
Thanks again, you guys! This has been so helpful! I made a list of about 10 apartment complexes to consider; all of them are less than 10 minutes from Balboa. Most of them are pricey compared to the outer-lying suburbs, but as a few of you said, you pay for location -- and after all, one of the main reasons I'm moving to San Diego is the year-round beautiful weather, not to mention the beaches and OF COURSE Balboa Park. Which means I won't be spending much time in my (most likely, at those prices) studio apartment anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego